PDA

View Full Version : [Project] quadcopter controlled by Android/IOIO. Reason? control quadcopter through cellphone towers

tlarson
12-11-2014, 04:51 AM
This is my first thread so I'm not sure if i'm doing this correctly.

I just ordered everything needed for a quadcopter. I already have a radio controlled transmitter and receiver, but my plan is to switch out the receiver on my quadcopter with an Android IOIO board. My idea is to transmit everything through my phones data and pick up that data on my computer. The same concept for a rc car is shown in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ypGlTCbKk The reason why I want to do this to my quadcopter is to permit first person view (FPV), and if i'm communicating with my phone through its data than as long as there's a cell phone tower near i'll never lose communication with my quadcopter i.e. loooong distance (all in theory still). I have a control board which is the kk2.1.5 set up and ready to be told what to do on the quadcopter.

I'll need your expertise (or point me in the right direction) on the following: (you can pick and chose what you want to show me)
- is this possible? if so are there any libraries out there in IOIO that can help?
- i'd like to transmit through my video camera i'll be attaching to my quadcopter as well so any help there would be great
- need a program to control my quadcopter through my computer any idea/libraries/codes that already has this in place? like I said I have a radio transmitter and receiver so I plan on setting up a little arduino project to allow communication from transmitter to computer.
- need a program to send information from my phone.
- laws pertaining to this? (I'm still going to do it).

experience: intro to arduino class (c base program) built an autonomous RC car. programming skills are at an intro level but I've got a HUGE interest for this stuff so I'm learning exponentially. I will be downloading the eclipse for android program, and possibly for arduino (if I can figure it out). Experience with flying rc planes, 3-4 channel helicopters, a mini quadcopter, and was in to the nitro rc trucks for a while.

thanks for your help I'll be posting picture of the quadcopter once created. Will accept name ideas.:cool: