PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] stationary Powering an Open CM 9.04-b with 3 Dynamixels

Gizmoo
01-11-2015, 03:49 AM
Hi There!

I'm totaly new to Robotics and Microcontrollers and in my first project i want to build something similar as a Pan/Tilt/rotate Plattform. I'm thinking about using the Open CM 9.04-B which controlls 3 AX-12A's (or maybe 3 MX12W's)

But how do i power it without using LiPo's ? i dont really want to start by cutting and soldering cables. SMPS2Dynamixel ? but then what is the power switch for ? And in this case - do i still need the microUSB to power the board ?

Thanks!

tician
01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
The switch is for controlling power supplied by two 1S LiPo batteries connected to the two 2-pin JST-PH headers. If you want to control AX or MX servos with a 3S LiPo, you will need to connect the LiPo pack to either the 0.1" headers marked VIN+/VDD_IN and VIN- (which will be controlled by the switch), or connect the pack through a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel. The traces on the OpenCM904 are not very heavy duty, so you will probably want to go with a DXL hub or SMPS2Dynamixel if you are planning to have the servos running at high load. If you supply any external power to the OpenCM904 of more than ~6V then you should not need to connect USB except for communications.

Gizmoo
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
ok, great!

thanks for the answer!

jwatte
01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
I agree with Tician -- power it through a hub. The hub will in turn power the OpenCM, so you only need the USB for communication.
(FWIW, this is what I do on Onyx 7)