PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] HR-OS1 Documentation

kgranat
04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Click here to go to the HR-OS1 Wiki / Getting Started Guide (https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-Framework/wiki)

We are currently in the process of fleshing out the information and projects, but we have the getting started guides and videos ready to go.

In the future we will be moving getting strated guides to learn.trossenrobotics.com and keeping the wiki for more code/developer related information.

If you have any comments, thoughts, or questions about the documentation (including minor errors) please make a post in this thread.

LloydF
04-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi, this must be the place? The raspberry pi's are dead in the water, until you post the Dependencies so we can compile the Framework code or you post a image file to flash to a SD. Oh boy just been inforemed the kit comes with a pre installed SD. Yea!

LloydF
04-16-2015, 08:28 PM
The Dependencies for the ps3 and compiling the Framework are :
sudo apt-get install bluez-utils bluez-compat bluez-hcidump libusb-dev libbluetooth-dev joystick
from the Interbotix/HROS5-Framework web page. This is nice as i like to use my larger SD.

KurtEck
04-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I tried building it on the RPI2 I have and was able to build the framework with the mentioned sudo apt-get ... stuff.

Also for the fun of it, I grabbed my Odroid C1 board, which has Ubuntu 14.04 installed, plus ROS, PC... (Robotics Addition), and did the git clone of the stuff onto it, and the framework built with no errors.

Kurt

jwatte
04-18-2015, 06:03 PM
The assemby guide says to only use 2S 7.4V batteries, yet the included battery is 3S 11.1V (and, generally, that's what I use with AX-12s)
http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/projects/155-hr-os1-kit-assembly-guide.html

LloydF
04-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Any idea when some skins might get posted. The post on the wiki web page goes to a broken link or there not up yet? I'm into build now ;-)
Man this has a Bioloid Type A feel to it.

kgranat
04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the catch jwatte, I think we used the warning from the HR-Os5 guide, which uses two 2-cell lipos.

LloydF, we're cleaning up some of the 3d files. I'm hoping that they'll be ready some time next week.

bstag
04-20-2015, 12:40 PM
IN the begining of the documentation it mentions using sudo make all for the darwin.a file. if you do that you must then use sudo make all for all the sub projects like dxl_monitor and the others. the subprojects instructions don't have sudo in front of the make all lines.

LloydF
04-20-2015, 07:22 PM
hum, the only project files that seems to be missing are the ps3-demo folder, on the Raspberry's.
I re-compiled and everything is there all the folders and demos with one exception. The project folder rme is missing something in the make file are not compiling correctly on the raspberry's. LOL no main.cpp in the folder.

KurtEck
04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
My package arrived yesterday :veryhappy:

Still undecided which way I will go for the main CPU, but thought I would go through an setup both boards, so I can decide as I go.

First pass Edison, since I have a bit more current experience with the Edison: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?7145-Experiment-with-Intel-Edison

Not sure how much to talk about here, but over the last several months have run into some gotchas with Edison. Example if your home network is setup (like mine) where your addresses are: 192.168.2.x, you wifi with the Edison won't work as their USB network driver interferes. There are a couple of ways to fix it, I do it by editing their USB configuration file (/etc/systemd/network/usb0.network)... I have a cheat sheet up on the Intel Edison Forums on the things that I do on boards after I flash a new image: https://communities.intel.com/thread/57598

The image comes with the editor vi. Intel does not have a real complete repository of apps, but there is a non official one run by an Intel employee(Alext), which includes things like nano... Again instructions for how to set that up are included in the thread I mentioned.

Likewise with the image that was shipped with the Edison, the Boot partition has a lot more room physically allocated to it than the partition shows. When I first started configuring this Edison, the command df shows the /boot partition is 92% full. After I go through the steps (from AlexT's blog, but I copied steps into my thread), the /boot partition is now 16% full.

Side comment: There are many up here who know a lot more linux than I do, but probably many who know less. Might help to have some type of link to something like linux for dummies, so they can find out about common commands like: cd, ls, cp, rm, pwd...

Also I think you are doing a great job with these instructions! Can not wait to get started to actually build.

I am always torn on how much information or alternative ways to state. Example with the instructions on setting up using a linux machine, there are instructions to use: screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
Which is great, it then states if this fails, try it using: sudo screen ...

Alternative to this, is to make sure you have access to the device. So what I have done is: ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
This shows that device is in the group dialout.

I then make sure that I am a member of the group dialout: groups kurt
Obviously change the name from kurt to ...
If I am not a member I add it: sudo adduser kurt dialout

But again it is often hard to know how much of this type stuff to talk about.

Kurt

KurtEck
04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Another quick update: I also checkout out the Raspberry Pi2,

Looks great: On my previous RPI2, I had not changed the overclock, so it was great to see info about doing this.

While in raspi-config, I also changed the time zone from Chicago to LA as to match my timezone.

Again looking good.

Kurt

P.S - In both initial setups, I used USB cable to supply the power to the boards, with Edison it goes to the one closest to the middle of the board. After this point that will no longer be a valid option as you use this same USB port with the adapter to switch USB from client mode to server mode.

Also side note: With current release of Edison firmware on mini breakout board, if you reboot with USB setup for server mode, it works on every other soft boot. (Works OK if you power up with it plugged in, works OK if you plug it in after it has booted, but if it is plugged in and you do something like the command reboot, it won't work (lsusb will show status -99), but if you reboot again, then it usually works...

LloydF
04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi, Okay so the only folder not compiling correctly for the raspberry's, is the rme folder.

AlSierra
04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Great job on the Raspberry Pi2 video setup and motor tagging.

Got all of the motors tagged and then had a panic attack when #13 wasn't showing up. Then realized I hadn't plugged that one into the chain. =)

I did want to mention there is a bit of a lag when scanning for the motors - sometimes need to do it 2 or 3 times before it will show up. Also got a lot of "failed to write" errors, but it still processed the command correctly - this might just be a timing issue.

Frame is sturdy but so lightweight !

kgranat
04-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Andrew will be pushing an update shortly that should fix the RME problem.

AlSierra, we did find an issue with the overclock setttings and the dYNAMIXEL response. We recently updated the video, so I'm not sure which version you went through - in your setup, did you use the raspi-config command to change the overclock settings? If not, we updated the video and guide to reflect this

https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-Framework/wiki/HR-OS1-Electronics-and-Framework-Setup-%28Raspberry-Pi%29

You can run the raspi-config via SSH, even though we show it via HDMI/keyboard in the video.

KurtEck
04-22-2015, 02:17 PM
I thought I would try out the PS3 with the Edison,

But when I go to try out sixpair, it appears like it is not a valid executable program:

[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# ls
sixpair sixpair.c
[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# ./sixpair
-sh: ./sixpair: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9831 Apr 22 00:02 sixpair
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3366 Apr 21 01:48 sixpair.c

panthallion
04-22-2015, 02:34 PM
hi, Did you tested it on the Rasp Pi 2 ?

It worked to pair the PS3?

Thanks

panthallion
04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Hi Kyle, can the PS3 work on the Rpi2 ?

Is there a work around?

Thanks a lot

bstag
04-22-2015, 02:53 PM
I thought I would try out the PS3 with the Edison,

But when I go to try out sixpair, it appears like it is not a valid executable program:
I think you may have to recompile on edision as it worked by default on my pi2 with out recompile which is the oppisite of the documented instructions.

kgranat
04-22-2015, 02:56 PM
The sixpair exectuable in the repo is an old one for ubuntu. Andrew is working on getting the executables for raspi/edison uploaded ASAP.

You can build sixpair on the raspberry pi like this
gcc -o sixpair sixpair.c -lusb
I don't have instructions on getting everything setup for sixpair on the edison right now.

Once the controller is paired and you've done a
sudo make all
in the ps3_demo directory, try starting the script
start_ps3_demo

I'm working on a video demo as well as cleaning up the wiki page.

KurtEck
04-22-2015, 05:47 PM
The sixpair exectuable in the repo is an old one for ubuntu. Andrew is working on getting the executables for raspi/edison uploaded ASAP.

You can build sixpair on the raspberry pi like this
gcc -o sixpair sixpair.c -lusb
I don't have instructions on getting everything setup for sixpair on the edison right now.

Once the controller is paired and you've done a
sudo make all
in the ps3_demo directory, try starting the script
start_ps3_demo

I'm working on a video demo as well as cleaning up the wiki page.
I have built a version of sixpair that now at least runs on my Edison, does not detect stuff yet, but I need to see if this image has BT enabled or not or if I need to go through standard Edison stuff and remove rfkill...

What I did was try to install all of the libusb* on Edison I could find. But did not fine usb.h... After a few minutes searching, I copied the version of the file installed on RPI2 using WinSCP (recommend this for windows users to copy files back and forth).

Then was able to build the exe with the command line:
gcc -o sixpair sixpair.c -L/lib -l:libusb-0.1.so.4 -I.

Note I put the usb.h file into local directory which is why -I.

Now back to seeing if it the PS3 will talk.

Edit: Maybe getting closer:

Current Bluetooth master: 98:4f:ee:02:df:75
Unable to retrieve local bd_addr from `hcitool dev`.
Please enable Bluetooth or specify an address manually.
[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# rfkill unblock bluetooth
Current Bluetooth master: 98:4f:ee:02:df:75
Setting master bd_addr to 98:4f:ee:03:30:54

Note the rfkill command

Edit2: Note both with instructions as well as scripts. Edison does not typically come with sudo command installed, so
sudo ./start_ps3_demo
Will fail. Obviously easy to remove that from command line, but the scripts also use sudo command.

Kurt

Mike.
04-22-2015, 09:05 PM
I just recieved my HR-OS1 and layed out all the part... but I'm stuck. My HR-OS1 kit came with three vials of Turbo-Fuse instead of Turbo-Lock. The directions call for Turbo-Fuse. Be sure you check which one you have, the Turbo-Fuse vials are very similar looking to the Turbo-Lock vials. Turbo-Fuse is instant glue. Turbo-Lock is thread locker.

Mike.

kgranat
04-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the mix up. For the HR-OS1, you do want to use Turbo-fuse. I'll be updating the guide today.

We switched to Turbofuse as we found the turbo-lock can damage the plastic plates we use.

LloydF
04-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi all. Just downloaded the latest framework and everything compiled correctly even all the sub-folders compile on the raspberry's.
Now to to see what does what ;-)

Mike.
04-24-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm also having issues with sixpair on Edison.

[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# ./sixpair_edison
./sixpair_edison: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair# ./sixpair_edison
./sixpair_edison: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[email protected]:~/HROS1-Framework/Linux/project/ps3_demo/sixpair#

Looks like Kurt manually installed the dependancies and recompiled. Is there another way?

Mike.

kgranat
04-24-2015, 04:07 PM
We're looking into this

KurtEck
04-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes - I built a version, which at least executes. I have not fully tested it out yet, but in case anyone want's to give it a full try, I uploaded the built file in the enclosed zip file.

Kurt

LloydF
04-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Yes, it's alive! The Hros1 is running on my raspberrypi and it's so beautiful. Only did the ps3 demos so far. Love the pan and tilt on the head good job. Only problem i had was on the arm servo offset's, just loosened the screws and re-tightened were it wanted zero to be in the sitting position. They are all Zero to start on the build (Notches all lined up) right?

Mike.
04-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Kurt, thanks for the zip. I copied it over and tried it, but it says permision denied. I'll fiddle with it some more tomorrow.

----edit----
I poked around a little more tonight (pun intended if you follow the link). I found the following but it is all Greek to me, perhaps someone can make some sense of it:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=f2d82a136bfe85e893e4c2b7b5922a4d823812c1
-----------

Mike.
04-25-2015, 10:17 PM
My HROS1 is all built using the Edison. I've named him Adam. He can sit, stand, and get ready to walk... or he used to be able to.

I noticed that he leans forward quite alot in the init pose. I tried to fix it and messed it up somehow. Now when I play the init page it does nothing, until I change to the sit page, play it, and then go back to the init page... at which time he lurches forward as fast as he can in at attempt to be in the ready walk pose... wierd. When i type the save command, it doesn't actually save my pose modification in rde, not sure what is going on there. I'm sure this is pilot error somehow.

---edit ---
Yep, pilot error. When you copy an index over from 7 it zeros out the time (speed). I changed the time to 200 and it worked great.
-----------

I got him walking (wiggling/wobbling?!?). I had fun playing with the parameters and I look forward to diving into this more later.

Below are some notes/corrections/suggestions I made during the build:

In Step 19, second bullet: I had to use M2x8's, the 6's were too short.
In Step 19, the pictures for the P5 plate show the power switch slot to the wrong side if you are building it with the plates having the rough side up. If you build it with the rough side up, the on/off positions will be correct for the slot keying (opposite of what is show in the Step 19 pics).
In Step 19, 3rd bullet: The M3x8 button head screw doesn't have many threads left after you stack three M3 washers on it. I put the washers on the other side of the standoff and used a longer socket head.
In Step 19, 4th bullet: I used two small strips of double-sided tape to make sure the delrin shim does not sag. Likely completely unnessisary.
In Step 19, 8th bullet: Directions call out 4 M3x8 button heads... pictures show 2 button heads and 2 sockets. I followed the picture, either method would appear to work.
Step 19, 9th bullet: If you decide to put the M3 washer on the other side of the standoff, here would be the place to call them out... along with 2 M3x10 screws (instead of M3x8's which are a little short).

Hope this helps and thanks for the Turbo-Fuse video!

Mike.

KurtEck
04-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Yah - I have almost completed my build of the HR-OS1 and having fun.

For now decided to go the RPI2 route as to try out the camera. In certain ways I should probably go with the Edison as I do have a reasonable amount of time and effort in on working with the Edison...

As Mike mentioned, thanks for the videos, they do help a lot to see the right way to do things.

I also ran into some of the same issues where bolts were not long enough.

It also took me awhile on step 6, when I tried to use M3 spacers instead of m3 washers :o

Step 23 - You probably should mention (like you did for Edison in 22), that the data cable needs to be plugged into Arbotix Pro

Steps 23-24 - I found it easier to get all of those cables plugged into the Arbotix Pro, without having the data cable and dongles plugged into RPI2 (You also don't show them plugged in on step 24 as well)

Step 25 (Where I am now) - Is there a secret on best way to slide battery in? When I do it as per pictures, where the battery connector becomes snug with the vertical standoff, the battery is still extending a bit beyond the bottom bracket, where it can be run into by the arm... And as some of you know I am a bit paranoid about lipo batteries.

Next up is to tidy up some of the cables as to minimize chances of having them pinch or the like and to install the camera.

Kurt

Mike.
04-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Kurt,

I had to play with battery placement a bit also. Mostly my issue stemmed from where the large battery cables exited the battery. The heavy shrink wrap extends the battery cables out a little differently than the pictures in the guide show. I simply manipulated the wires at the battery output end until I was able to get it similar to the picture; which involved flexing the heavy shrink wrap a bit. I would caution against plugging in the battery with the battery installed in the robot as doing so could apply force from the corner of the connector directly to the lipo cells. Instead, plug in the battery and then slide it in or be mindful of pressing excessively on the battery when plugging it in with it installed in the robot. Softpacks are sensitive to physical damage.

Mike.

bg404
04-27-2015, 07:42 PM
A couple of documentation suggestions:

1. Make it clear at the beginning of the assembly instructions that the Dynamixels need to be assigned the proper ID prior to building - Otherwise you may be rebuilding it.

2. For each step (preferably under the left gutter photo) you should list the parts in bullet points you need to complete the step.

3. You should change the bullet points from unordered list <ul> to ordered list <ol>.

4. The red arrows and red labels on a majority of photos are great, but as you get deeper into the overall build they tend to be reduced in frequency.

Can we fork the documentation and pitch in?

Thanks,

Brad

kgranat
04-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Brad, I've made a couple of changes to the guide regarding 1) and 3).

I'll pass 2) onto my team.

for 4), do you have any photos in particular that you think need better labeling.

We don't currently have a good way to form the documentation on learn.trossen, but I'll look into some way to do that or create some kind of collaboration.

LloydF
04-28-2015, 12:31 PM
hi, Be careful somehow I missed the fact that one usb to 4 pin is wired reverse of the other 2. Please fix the Documents to Reflect 2 USB adapters and one reversed USB adapter.

bg404
04-28-2015, 01:46 PM

for 4), do you have any photos in particular that you think need better labeling.

We don't currently have a good way to form the documentation on learn.trossen, but I'll look into some way to do that or create some kind of collaboration.

I will identify the photos that need better labeling.

Thanks,

Brad

oesile
04-29-2015, 08:14 AM

Hi Kyle,

For example in Step 8: Mount Knee Servos,you don't explain where to put the nuts like the pictures before. From there everything start to be with much less detail.

KurtEck
04-29-2015, 08:50 AM
On the documentation, which I like, one thing that would be real nice is when I am zoomed into a photo, that there is a next/previous photo capability... But I know that many times I zoom in, do what the step needs, unzoom, read text for next part of step, zoom in on next picture.

Obviously it would be great if when zoomed on a picture associated with some text bullet, that the text associated with that picture would also somehow be displayed... But my guess is that would be a lot of work!

Also secondary comment. I see that you now mention to make sure and ID the servos before you build... As part of this step, when you are done, you may want to make sure all of the servos are at their logical zero points (512). I had at least one, that I probably screwed with, that was not (left elbow), and when I finished the assembly and told the robot to startup, that servo could not get to it's zero point. (I quickly turned off, unscrewed 4 screws to horn, told it to go to zero and reinstalled the screws.

Again great job!

bg404
04-29-2015, 11:38 AM
On the documentation, which I like, one thing that would be real nice is when I am zoomed into a photo, that there is a next/previous photo capability... But I know that many times I zoom in, do what the step needs, unzoom, read text for next part of step, zoom in on next picture.

Obviously it would be great if when zoomed on a picture associated with some text bullet, that the text associated with that picture would also somehow be displayed... But my guess is that would be a lot of work!

Also secondary comment. I see that you now mention to make sure and ID the servos before you build... As part of this step, when you are done, you may want to make sure all of the servos are at their logical zero points (512). I had at least one, that I probably screwed with, that was not (left elbow), and when I finished the assembly and told the robot to startup, that servo could not get to it's zero point. (I quickly turned off, unscrewed 4 screws to horn, told it to go to zero and reinstalled the screws.

Again great job!

+1 next/previous photo capability

+1 make sure all of the servos are at their logical zero points (512)

I had same issue on ankle servo, and fixed similarly.

LloydF
04-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Hay, Hay, Hay. Just read through the assembly guide. It is looking pretty nice.

jveejay
05-29-2015, 06:52 PM
So who is using Edison? I'm using it, and I'm already frustrated because I can't hook up the camera to it, let alone think about other peripherals. What are the thoughts here going forward Kyle?! Is edison going to be getting more GPIO support? PI seems much more pliable to work with and has higher performance.

LloydF
06-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Noticed that the HROS1-Framework no longer compiles after a git pull. :confused:

KevinO
06-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Noticed that the HROS1-Framework no longer compiles after a git pull. :confused:

Any errors you can tell us?

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM

Try a fresh pull, and try again. Discrepancy between updates I was making last week on our test branch.

LloydF
06-29-2015, 03:08 PM
ok but the lib compiles, But when you go to make in the dxl_monitor you get a recipe for target main.o error.
Ah cool that did it. You nearly gave me heart failure LOL. :wink:

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2015, 03:54 PM
ok but the lib compiles, But when you go to make in the dxl_monitor you get a recipe for target main.o error.
Ah cool that did it. You nearly gave me heart failure LOL. :wink:

Glad to hear it's working for you. In the future, please submit bug reports via Github Issues section on the main repo along with a description/dump of the failure error log. Makes it much easier to diagnose and I actually get email notifications via Github (I don't here).

LloydF
12-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Hi, any chance someone could update us on what is in the new project folder, like the (Head tracking) and what it does?:veryhappy: I ran it last night and the head seemed to be searching for something, a colored ball maybe? Oh nice and a web-page on port 8080 for the camera and it is working on RPI too. Yea! Hum this is renee's work, it must have uploaded to the main GitHub-branch. Well done.:cool: Only why is everything upside down and running from the red ball not following it?

LloydF
12-22-2015, 01:15 PM
I noticed you now need a password for HROS1/Framework on git hub can we get it?

KurtEck
12-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Hi Lloyd,

I can still sync up my project using github for windows (no errors and no new files...).

Were you doing something like that or something like git clone on your processor?

Do you have a github account? If so, it might want your github password?

Hopefully good luck...

LloydF
12-22-2015, 05:59 PM
It is fixed. I was testing a new build and found that the github was locked, it's all free now, yea. Someone musta been doing some work, lets go see.:wink:

LloydF
04-07-2019, 05:41 PM
I updated everything an ran it on Ubuntu Mate, installed ROS, because i have plans :cool:, and everything seems to be working, with a little work on the ps3.