PDA

View Full Version : Welcome HR-OS1 Beta Testers! Introduce yourself

kgranat
04-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Welcome beta testers! We appreciate your initiative to becoming one of the first users of the HR-OS1 platform. We'll be using this subforum to show off progress, ask questions and discuss the HR-OS1 platform. We'll also be making announcements about the development of the HR-OS1 here. We're encouraging all beta testers to create a forum account and introduce themselves on this thread.

Even if you're not one of the original backers who purchased the first 50 HR-OS1 units, we still encourage you to introduce yourself and post here if you'll be working with the HR-OS1 framework and are building your own HR-OS1 clone.

kgranat
04-14-2015, 10:08 AM
So I'll get us started! I'm Kyle Granat, one of the engineers here at Trossen Robotics. I've been working on documentation and bug-fixes for the HR-OS1 (you'll probably be hearing a lot of my voice if you're watching the getting started videos). I've been testing on both the Edison and Raspberry Pi CPUs. Here are my two robots, yet to be properly named.

I'll be working on some of the Node.js project, and on the side I'm really interested in integrating the Pixy Vision Camera into the HR-OS1 framework. I'll also be taking the HR-OS1 to events like the Mini Maker Faire in Chicago. I've got a video of the HR-OS1 doing some test poses here (http://datablue.net/index.php/videos/30-hr-os1-madness).

KurtEck
04-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi I am Kurt Eckhardt, I am a retired Software Engineer, who still enjoys writing code, playing with electronics and enjoys learning new things.

For several years now, I have been known up here mainly for playing with Hexapods (Phoenix code base) as well as playing around with electronics. I have been know for trying out a board or two ;)

I became interested in the HR-OS1 project as I thought it would be a great place to learn some new stuff. Not sure yet what all I will be doing with it, but do hope that I will be able to make a few minor contributions to the code base.

This should be a lot of fun!

bstag
04-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Hey I am Jason, I have been involved in robotics in one way or another for 20 years. I have a strong foundation in ROS and a few other robotics software platforms. I normally focus on slam based applications for robotics for the dallas personal robotics group competitions. I also go to many schools, makerfaires, various stem like events and show children the evolution of robotics and how it effects their daily lives. I try to make it fun and interactive sessions in hopes on encouraging the young minds to get into the field in one way or another. I plan on using the hr-os1 in this type of thing heavily since i do not have access to a nao or something like it.

LloydF
04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi, I'm Lloyd, A retired Engenering tech, and lets just say i have worked with vacum tube computers. ;-)
Hay, Kyle. I tried to compile the Framework on a rasbperry pi 2 and got a PS3Controller.0 fatil eror, maybe a bluetooh dependency. Might need a Image file to flash to a SD to get started with the pi's ? Sorry for getting ahead of myself, just don't have many Xmas in April events left in my life LOL.

KurtEck
04-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Hi Lloyd, not sure maybe should go on other thread:

But reading the info in: https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-Framework/wiki/HR-OS1-Electronics-and-Framework-Setup-%28Raspberry-Pi%29

It looks like they have an image with everything in it. Not sure if they have put this image up anywhere yet.

The custom Raspberry Pi Image we use has all dependencies for the Framework pre-installed. We will have noted on builing an image from scratch in a future article.

I was able to build the framework on Edison. It would be nice to know which version they recommend, as again it implies some special version that supports the PS3. Hopefully it can be a stock build with maybe a few libraries installed.

For the fun of it, I may also look into begin able to cross compile it on my PC using Eclipse as this should also give me full source code debugging over wifi. May try the same with RPI2, or may instead go to using WinGDB to do this.

Kurt

AlSierra
04-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Alfredo. Tried my hand with Robotics in the 90's but had to give it up due to life's happenings. I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. 5 1/4 floppy stepper motors were just not cutting it. I opted for the Pi as it is more familiar to me.

Kyle, Nice job on the setup videos for the pi and the motors.

oesile
04-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Hi all,

I am Eliseo. All my life the robots have been my passion but I was just playing with lego mindstorms and never have done something really cool. So, this is my first robot, am really excited about it!

see you around!

panthallion
04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
hi, I'm Jonathan... Passionate about robotic, a bit new to these type of advanced robot but I embrace it. I've just finished building my 1st HR-OS1 yesturday with Rpi2 and i'm realy glad of the result.

hi Kyle, does the PS3 remote controller provided is pairable on the Rpi2 ?

Thanks

Mike.
04-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi, I'm Mike.

I'be been working as and electrical engineer for an aerospace company for the past 16 years. I have no experience with inverted pendulum humanoid robots like this, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot. I was introduced to the Darwin Op operating system while visiting the Kennedy Space Center in FL. They had a demo of the HR-OS1's bigger brother playing soccer and chasing after anyone with the proper color shoes on. Fascinated by the technology, but disappointed in the price, I was happy when I discovered that Trossen was bringing us a less expensive development platform.

Initially, my plan is to just assemble the HR-OS1 and learn the Darwin Op system software. I have reviewed the software briefly and it looks like it will be straightforward to modify. Eventually, I would like to have my HR-OS1 learn to walk. Others have used machine learning to teach hexapod's to walk and even evolve virtual creatures. I'm inspired by Karl Sims and Thomas Geijtenbeek and believe their work can be leveraged in the physical space. I don't think the AX-12's would take the abuse of the evolutionary process of refining node weights, so my plan is to simulate the the network in software first.

I'm attempting to do everything in freely available Linux software. Currently, I have a model of the HR-OS1 created in FreeCAD and reorganized based on jointed units. The model needs to be updated to the latest chest form factor and electronics. All of the pieces have been exported as meshes and manually processed in MeshLab. I have COM's and inertia tensors for all of the plastic Biloid parts, the metal frames, the HR-OS1 plates, and the AX-12A's. The plastic Bioloid parts and the AX-12A's have been loaded into Gazebo and act appropriately when the physics simulation is run. Now that I have the metal frames, plastic plates, and PCB's I'll weigh them and finish loading those parts into Gazebo. Once the model is complete, I will use a neural net in GNU Octave to command the Gazebo simulation.

My biggest hurdle right now is time. It will take some time to accurately weigh the parts. In addition, I expect the shear number of parts and pieces will be too much for Gazebo to computationally handle. Each screw, nut, plate, etc, has its own inertia tensor. These tensors will need to grouped together in space-fixed units and be pre-mathematically translated from their local coordinate axis to the center of mass of the space-fixed unit (aka a forearm and hand).

I hope someone out there is working on a Baymax skin, because as soon as my boys see this humanoid walk I'm confident they will be constantly requesting me to suit-it-up. Maybe I will get a wildhair and draft up a Tomy Omnibot 2000 skin for it... man, I really wanted one of those as a kid!

Mike.

DresnerRobotics
04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Hey all,

My name is Andrew, and I'm the lead engineer on the HR-OS1 project. I started working on humanoid robots about 6-7 years ago and have been chasing that dream ever since.

I'll be joining in the discussion on these forums to ensure you guys have a direct line to the engineers working on developing this project. We have a long way to go but I have very high hopes for this project!

One thing to note- please try to keep questions to specific threads on the topic, here we're just doing introductions!

Mike.
04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
LOL. Thanks for the laugh today. I went to add a picture of myself to the profile and found an avatar of an Omni-bot... WAY BETTER!

dottuli
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi, I am Uli and a chemist by profession....just got my HR-OS1 now for a few weeks up and running and just starting to learn programming.....just for the fun of it

diyjac
05-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone! My name is John, and I have been wanting to build robots since 1977 when Starwars first came out. I have been playing with Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, 3D printers, and lasercutters for the last few years, and was lucky enough to be one of the last one to get an HR-OS1 beta kit. Should be fun!

jveejay
05-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Scientist, professor, learner, educator... that's me! I'm from Austin, and I'm a professor at The University of Texas at Austin. I've gotten interested in the HROS1 because I'm curious about the computational bottlenecks a robot like this would face, and so that I can build better microprocessors that can seamlessly handle the requirements without burning through the battery! I doubt anyone one of us wants our battery dying out while the robots in the future are doing some important task :)

Weebo
06-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I'm my name is Anmar, I'm a graduate student at the University of Virginia, I was one of the student in a Humanoid robots class last semester and I was so excited to get the kit so I finished the assembly withing 48 hours upon receiving the kit. My HROS1 name is Weebo (from Flubber for Robin Williams). My interests are to get to the kinematics of it and how to work with vision(the main idea to make it write on a 2d plane). So far we were able to install OpenCV and made it able to detect faces and interact by voice or by gestures. and I'm planning on working on it for at least the next 6 months, hoping to make something significant.

OldBotBuilder
08-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Hello,

I'm Irv, a 78 year old, retired computer engineer. Have built Lego(EV3) robots (Segway and Rubik Cube solver) and Robotis Bioloid Premium humanoid robot. Have used Arduino to give these projects speech and different modes of command. Recently completed "EZ Wilber" an EZ-Bv4 enhanced Lego Segway robot. My "EZ Lester" is a Robotis Bioloid Premium humanoid robot. This project is well underway. I have just 'purchased' an HR-OS1 kit and am looking forward to the build and enhancements. I am located in the San Diego North County area. My email address is: [email protected]

Buckbot
09-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Hi Everybody , I'm Robert , 50 yr old retired engineer and general 'Frankensteiner' of all sorts of 'tech' over the years ,,, and as of a few hrs ago , now the proud owner of an HR-OS1 (as yet unnamed , gonna have to 'chew' on that one for while ,,,)
The other 'droids' ( Frank-e , OB-1 , Cockroach , and bits of others ) are looking down blankly at the pile of parts on the bench , not quite sure what to make of it all ,,, We'll see ...
Personally , I'm looking forward to the 'build' , the Community and the whole interactive process from here on out , ( been a bit of a ghost around here for the last couple of yrs ,,, )

Hopefully might even have some meaningful input and not just a bunch of noob questions , lol ,,,

but for now , INVENTORY ,,, lets see just what we have here .

sonel
09-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'm Alex, 40 something, doing some mundane consulting work in IT space. I've been working on robots for about 3 years, with some early ones fully custom made with PIC processors and PWM servo's. About a year ago I got a Bioloid kit and played with it for a while but got soon disappointed by the limitations. I've been looking for some time to integrate Raspberry Pi and ROS into the picture - when you guys popped up!

Now I'm waiting for the delivery of an Arbotix Pro and the aluminium brackets and will start building the HR-OS1 with some twists. I have ordered some time ago some AX-18As (6 of them) that will be placed at the legs at the points with the highest torque demand.

I'm looking for stereo vision with a second Pi that would sit in the head (I think I will have a head more like Jimmy) and I'm also looking to include a proper audio amplifier so that the robot can talk. The USB cameras have microphones so, in theory, OpenCV should be able to use them for direction detection and also to integrate into a vocal command programm.

I will also probably include a 3.2'' display into the front chest that connects to the Raspberry Pi so that you can get some more information and interact without the need to SSH into it.

ralphcampbell
05-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone!
I go way back. My first computer was an Altair 8080. I was in the first meeting of the Homebrew Computer Club at Gordon French's home. I was in the class that designed RISC 1. I worked for the Computer Systems Research Group at UC Berkeley and helped develop Berkeley UNIX. I donated the MIPS BSD port to NetBSD. Now I work at Broadcom making all those Raspberry Pi. :-)
I decided to buy a HR-OS1 because the design is open source and it looked like a fun project.
I just got my HR-OS1 assembled and I'm able to ssh and run dxl_monitor scan and see all the motors.
I see that after executing a command in dxl_monitor, the next command says the ID is invalid and I have to scan a couple of times before they all show up again.
Now to start debugging! :-)

myedenmoses
12-27-2016, 08:42 AM
hi,I live in Taiwan, Last week I began to assemble my HROS1 humanoid robot. Now has been assembled to complete.
I tested the rme motion editor, everything is ok.I hope in the future my robot can recognize me through visual recognition, or can talk to my son using English.thanks all.

Moses.

MousKitos
06-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Hello,

I am French, nobody is perfect :wink:

I already done a hexapod, after I bought a Huno Robobuilder (5720T):o

With the later, I have done a reverse kinematics by remote control in BT, but with 5720T servos, the quality of the movement is mediocre.:sad:

So now, after a lot of trouble, I want to move on to a higher level, and I find this project.:veryhappy:

But, when I see, the dates of the last messages, for the project HR-OS1, the project is not very followed:confused:

I'm wrong ? or maybe the community is not realy sharered :confused:

I done one very activate forum for an other project (Drone : http://www.mk-fr.info/forum/ ) must do here ?