PDA

View Full Version : Camer is built but were to plug it in.

LloydF
04-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi, so camera is built installed and ready to pug into? The build stops right there!

tician
04-27-2015, 07:13 PM
If the build guides' BOM is accurate, there should be three of the 4-pin Molex to USB converter PCBs included in the kit. One is for the CM-730, a second should be for the camera, and not sure if the third is just a spare or intended for stereo vision with a second camera.

KurtEck
04-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Maybe?

But then I would wonder why I cut off a USB connector from the camera, to convert to a molex, that I plug into a molex to USB converter? Why not just leave on the original connector?

tician
04-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Maybe?

But then I would wonder why I cut off a USB connector from the camera, to convert to a molex, that I plug into a molex to USB converter? Why not just leave on the original connector?
How big is the original USB Type-A connector on the camera, and how far outside the chassis does it force the cable to protrude compared to the WIFI and Bluetooth dongles? Hardwiring the camera with a proper right-angle connector would be a much better solution than that adapter PCB and unshielded spliced cables.

LloydF
04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Hum. So right angle connectors are at a real premium, I never really noticed how few right angle connectors there are not out there.
I think ill try the camera on a different pi first, did not leave myself a spot to check my connections and blowing up my pi now would be just, sad.

kgranat
04-28-2015, 09:31 AM
As Tician mentioned, the idea is to plug the 4-pin end into one of the 4-pin molex/usb adapters. I'll see what I can do about getting the guide updated to reflect that.

Whenever we're putting together a robot like the HR-OS1 or HR-OS5, long USB-A connectors have always been a pain. They waste a lot of space and can make shelling the robot a pain. Right angle connectors are difficult to source and still have clearance issues. The 4-pin molex plug saves a lot of space. It also allows us to save space on peripherals. We've got a design for a 4-pin molex USB hub that's really small - I don't have an ETA on that, but it's in the works. The hub will make it easier to get more plugged into the edison on a small footprint.

That all being said, you can just plug the USB cable right into your raspberry pi, or find your own right angle connector and solder that in place if space allows.

The third 4-pin molex/usb adapter is for the Intel Edison's USB TOG connector (it's actually soldered in reverse of the other two for space saving)

jwatte
04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Have you considered the Raspberry PI native camera? It has less overhead and higher performance than an USB webcam. Although you have to route a persnickety flat cable...

LloydF
04-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Dam, ok no heat guns on web cam for heat shrinking. The really thin wires have a plastic coating that hates heat and will melt all the plastic away in one second ;-(. Did you reverse the wireing on your usb to 4-pin, mine seems to plug in on the ps3 controller the outherway around?

LloydF
04-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi, just be careful one USB to 4 pin adapter is wired reverse of the other two (2) somehow I missed that and it's sorta important to know up front.

kgranat
04-28-2015, 05:55 PM
LLoydF, can you send me pictures of your 4-pin connectors? I know we ship them soldered in 2 different orientations (2 of them with the molex facing down, one with the molex facing up) but the wiring itself should be the same - that is using the 'wrong' one should not cause an electrical fault, it should just be at a different orientation.

I want to see the ones you have - if they really are soldered reverse electrically, that's a problem.

We shipped the board with the reverse orientation in a separate bag with the usb-otg connector, but I agree it could use better labeling. I'll try to get some pictures on the assembly guide.

LloydF
04-28-2015, 07:17 PM
No sorry for misunderstanding. I simply grabbed the wrong one. I had a one out three chance, as i did not realize one plugs in upside down from the other 2 is all. (one with the molex facing up is for the edison, but can be confusing if you are not looking for it)

DresnerRobotics
04-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Have you considered the Raspberry PI native camera? It has less overhead and higher performance than an USB webcam. Although you have to route a persnickety flat cable...

I considered this, but the cable was worrisome. Do they have a non-flat version available in the 8-12" range?

bg404
04-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Does the camera work with the Edison?

The Assembly Guide doesn't show connections to the robot.

jwatte
04-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Do they have a non-flat version available in the 8-12" range?

"They" as in the Raspberry Pi Foundation do not.
"They" as in the United Chinese Manufacturing Conglomerate probably does :-)

KurtEck
04-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Does the camera work with the Edison?

The Assembly Guide doesn't show connections to the robot.
The Edison only has one USB port, so you would need a hub. kyle mentioned one is in the works in http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?7419-Camer-is-built-but-were-to-plug-it-in&p=67295#post67295

LloydF
04-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Nice job, the usb dongle picture circled in red is perfect. Yea I was missing some parts so my bags were sorta mixed up. Trossen sent me the parts 2nd day mail so I was happy, just did not know witch was what. ;-)

panthallion
04-29-2015, 11:00 AM
AFter it is plug, how to use it hehehe, is there any tool on the framework to testthe camera view on the robot?

I<m installling ROS Desktop (ROSBerrypi-wheezy), but would like to try the cam before that.

Maybe I will just install something to test the cam from the PI Store.

Cheers

Jo

LloydF
04-29-2015, 11:05 AM
The Circled USB was what i needed, thanks. Yes I had a bag missing so I had to use the Bill of Materials from your robot build website to see what was missing, maybe a bill of materials in the kits would be nice. I simply saw 3 usb adapters. Good news is all is well and Trossenrobotics sent the parts 2Nd day mail the same day. ;-)

LloydF
04-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi, Yes just don't be confused with guvcview , a very popular cam viewer, not working, it works on the rpi's but not the rpi 2's. They must have changed something that broke it's code.

panthallion
04-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi, the camera is not detected by Rpi2, I don't see /dev/video0, is the camera has a green led or something telling that it is properly connected or rceive power when connected to the Rpi2 USB with the 4pin adapter?

I checked the soldering and it should be ok...

Thanks

kgranat
04-29-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm looking into the camera issue.

kgranat
04-29-2015, 04:03 PM
It looks like we had an incorrect wiring diagram on the assembly guide - I'm really sorry about that. I've updated the assembly guide and listed the correct picture on this post - the white and green data lines need to be swapped from the incorrect graphic.

The incorrect wiring should not have caused any damage to your system and there should be extra heat shrink for you to make repairs, but if you have problems please let me know.

panthallion
04-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Hi, did it, it doesnt change a thing... :-(

I guess maybe I messed it up ?, no light no nothing no device found when "lsusb" is typed.

I plugged a kinnect and I immediatly have /dev/video0....

Is it possible to fill a RMA ?

LloydF
04-29-2015, 10:32 PM
mine is dead too.

don't worry my camera is dead after trying to rewire it.

DresnerRobotics
04-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Please contact [email protected] with your order number and we can send you out replacement cameras.

Sorry for the confusion guys!

LloydF
04-30-2015, 09:55 AM
I'll buy one from you tomorrow, this was mostly my foo-paw getting ahead of myself.

kgranat
04-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Lloydf and panthallion, I'll send you both out new camera today. It's our fault for the incorrect documentation. I had one camera in house wired incorrectly, and re-wiring it correctly got it up and working, but I'm guessing that some units are just not as resilient to incorrect wiring as others.

panthallion
05-01-2015, 07:17 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!! :wink:

LloydF
05-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Hay, Hay, Hay, camera back up and working. So how is the visual/camera software coming ;-) ?

kgranat
05-08-2015, 12:12 PM
We don't have anything yet, and I don't have a timeline yet.

There are some people on this thread looking at applications like Motion to get streaming views
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?7430-Streaming-camera-view

LloydF
05-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Ok, just loving what you all have done so far, this is so much fun ;-)
Opencv works with the raspberry rpi and rpi2. I'll post a tutorial on how to install, must have some good stuff to play with. :wink:

LloydF
05-10-2015, 09:32 AM
tutorial_1_opencv_installation_on_the_pi or pi 2
/****** Very Important Note This can take 4 to 5 hours ***
This installation guide serves as a GUIDE, not as a substitution to actually knowing what you are installing, and using Google to help you to understand what is the best option for your particular situation.
Before you use this installation guide please:
Do not just copy and paste blindly into your Raspberry Pi terminal, make sure that you know what you are copying and pasting.
If you follow my advice it may save you countless painful hours later, of trying to find out where you went wrong during the installation process. You have been warned. Please take the advice, and enjoy OpenCV on your Raspberry Pi !!!!
/****
Installation Steps:
#Make sure to have ssh enabled during configuration:
#For you to be able to use the X11 Forwarding and be able to use the ssh -X to get into your raspberry pi, you need to get into your /etc/ssh/ssh_config file and make some changes. If this is not done, and you try to use it, it will give you a gtk warning error that cannot display the gui on your desktop. Follow the following link for more information: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27387&p=244451
ssh -X [email protected] (Your IP address).
#If your ssh it is not yet enabled, you can reconfigure it by applying the following command:
sudo raspi-config
***** Very Important *****
#and in advanced options:
ssh enabled
camera enabled
expand filesystem enabled (SD Card Total Disk Usage command, you might need to reboot to see it expanded)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
#check to see that your webcam, or pi-cam is being read by your pi:
lsusb
#for easy package installation you can download synaptic
sudo apt-get install synaptic
#install the python scipy stack
sudo apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib
ipython-notebook python-pandas python-sympy python-nose
#to get the OpenCV zip or the tar.bz2 or the tar.gz:
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/files/opencv-unix/2.4.10/opencv-2.4.10.zip
#install basic development environment
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake pkg-config
sudo apt-get install default-jdk ant
sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1-dev
sudo apt-get install bison
sudo apt-get install qt4-dev-tools libqt4-dev libqt4-core libqt4-gui
sudo apt-get install v4l-utils
sudo apt-get install qtcreator (you do not really have to have it)
#more raspberry pi specific opencv-related dependencies that will make your life much easier
sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libjpeg8-dev libjpeg8-dbg libjpeg-progs ffmpeg libavcodec-dev libavcodec53 libavformat53 libavformat-dev libgstreamer0.10-0-dbg libgstreamer0.10-0 libgstreamer0.10-dev libxine1-ffmpeg libxine-dev libxine1-bin libunicap2 libunicap2-dev swig libv4l-0 libv4l-dev python-numpy libpython2.7 python-dev python2.7-dev libgtk2.0-dev
#ready to start compiling opencv
#now extract the opencv folder by unzipping the zip file you downloaded from Sourceforge
unzip opencv-2.4.10.zip
#change directory to the folder that you just extracted
cd opencv-2.4.10
#create a directory called build
sudo mkdir build
#change into that recently created directory
cd build
#very important step to create the flags and instructions for the compilation process
sudo cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE -D INSTALL_C_EXAMPLES=ON -D INSTALL_CPP_EXAMPLES=ON -D INSTALL_PYTHON_EXAMPLES=ON -D BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -D WITH_QT=ON -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -D WITH_OPENGL=ON -D WITH_V4L=ON ..
#now you are ready for make
sudo make
#and now you are ready to install ***very important make sure you include sudo with the command
sudo make install
#create the following file:
sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/opencv.conf
#enter the following line into the empty file:
/usr/local/lib
#after saving the file, enter the following command:
sudo ldconfig
#open your bash.bashrc file by entering the command:
sudo nano /etc/bash.bashrc
#in your bash.bashrc file enter the following two lines at the end of the document:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
#save it and close the terminal, and log back in by opening a new terminal to make sure your changes to the bash.bashrc file take effect.
#Testing to make sure that everything is working properly:
#open the c samples directory:
cd ~/OpenCV-2.4.10/samples/c
sudo chmod +x build_all.sh
sudo ./build_all.sh
#find an executable and run it by entering the following:
sudo ./facedetect
#if you want to test the python, go to the python directory and enter the following:
#python name_of_the_file.py
e.g sudo python facedetect.py
#and it will run.
Good Luck and have fun.

LloydF
05-18-2015, 05:53 PM
5948The cameras work with the format used in opencv.

LloydF
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Just a Heads up the new release of MagPI34 (MagPI Magazine free pdf download) has a article on setting up a VNC server
which works wonderfully. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

LloydF
06-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Sweet Unbuntu-Mate runs Hros1-Framwork and all the webcam stuff works, like guvc and VNCserver, so nice to use guvcview remotely (about a 15 fps frame fate). I used apt-get to install the opencv2.4 packages and they all run nice and man it is easy-er to use apt-get to install opencv :o. Hum I noticed the python camera.py runs a nice frame rate with a good picture with the included HROS1 web-cam.