PDA

View Full Version : HR-OS1 3D Models & 3D Printed Armor

DresnerRobotics
04-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Models:
Please note, as this is beta these models are nowhere near final.

Full STEP Model Download:
https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-3D-Models

As a temporary measure, here's a link to a zip of all of the 3D Printed components on the Orion Armor model:

HR-OS1 Orion Armor STL Models (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NpW8xHw130TlpGRy13cEVfX0k/view?usp=sharing)

I have a new revision drop on the way, so again I must reiterate, use these for testing purposes only. We made some changes to the long AX brackets for final production run that I need to propagate through the 3d models we have hosted, along with the updated 3D shells for the femur and tibias. Expect this drop later this week.

SketchLab 3D Model Viewer:
https://skfb.ly/CKso

Shapeways Interbotix Store:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/interbotix

Printing:
The current Orion Armor Set is likely not going to be able to be printed on a home printer without a good amount of part slicing and some clever orientation. I have a RepRap printer here at our lab and will be working on other character models that will be designed with home printers in mind as well.

Currently all of our printing is being done via Shapeways using the Strong, White, Flexible material which uses a Nylon laser sintered manufacturing process (as opposed to FDM printers @ home). This is an extremely lightweight and durable material that has been a preferred choice in our humanoid robots parts and armor. Stay tuned for an Interbotix Shapeways store which will have our main printed sets of armor up for sale @ cost.

Weight and payload considerations:
I am in the process of putting together some hard real-world data on how much weight allowance is reasonable to expect on the HR-OS1 endoskeleton. I have had good luck so far with getting stable walking on the Orion model, but further tweaking can be done to reduce weight. Overall, keeping 3D armor & shelling to a necessary minimum is going to be the best design practice. I can say the 200ish gram range is going to be ideal, but await hard numbers shortly.

LloydF
04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Hi, any chance of getting stl files? Otherwise i can not print the skins, I noticed the stl models are still blacked out, not sure what 3-d printers use stp files, I'm guessing a much bigger printer than mine.

tician
04-29-2015, 10:06 AM
STEP is a widely supported CAD/CAM file format that can be easily converted to other file formats by numerous programs as needed by the user for their specific printer.

bg404
04-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Can we get some close up pics or a guide to which brackets/holes to use when attaching a shell?

Shapeways is hugely expensive compared to the reprap and makerbot I already have, and I'm used to figuring out proper slicing and part orientation for larger scale printing.

LloydF
04-29-2015, 01:55 PM
My UP+ printer never came with a converter, do you mean I need to find a converter to use 3-printed files, really! I thought
people that do CAD for a living use STEP files.

tician
04-29-2015, 02:33 PM
AutoCAD, Solidworks, ProEngineer, FreeCAD, lots of FEM/FEA programs, many part processing programs for industrial CNC equipment, etc. Yeah, STEP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10303-21) and IGES (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGES) are the two most common formats for sharing models between them because they are open standards created by actual standards bodies (ISO and NIST, respectively) with no limitations to specific manufacturing processes.

KurtEck
04-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Just wondering,
will you be offering printing for those of us who do not have a 3d printer? Or suggestions on who we might send them out to?

Thanks
Kurt

bg404
04-29-2015, 03:43 PM
I've just had success with Autodesk 123D Design - which is free on runs on PC, Mac, and iPad.

http://www.123dapp.com/design

bg404
04-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Another request with the github repo for the parts.

To make the file sizes more digestible - Can you export STP and STL for each printed part - rather than the whole?

A lot of reprap projects do this, and it is much easier to update/print/review design of single parts than of the whole.

DresnerRobotics
04-29-2015, 03:47 PM
There will be updates with just the 3D printed parts in STL format this week. This is how the HR-OS5 3d models are distributed and I intend on keeping the same for these. It's just a bit labor intensive and I only have so many hours in the day. :)

LloydF
04-29-2015, 04:10 PM
HI, cool and thanks for your hard work Andrew. I just cant handle cad/cam conversions right now.
When this is all over you can relax and say man I'm good. ;-)

kgranat
04-29-2015, 04:12 PM
We will be setting up a shapeways store to make it easy for people to order the parts once they're all done.

LloydF
04-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Yea! it takes me most of a day to print out just one good sized shell stl I'm oh so in to buy a set from who ever ;-)

LloydF
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Really. If i had 20 grad to spend on a bot I most likely would have cad/cam software capable of this conversion program.

tician
04-29-2015, 11:22 PM
As I mentioned: FreeCAD; it is completely free and available for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Open that gigantic STEP file, wait a while for it to load (took ~10 minutes and 700MB on my AMD C-60 equipped netbook), select part you want and export as STL.

DresnerRobotics
04-29-2015, 11:28 PM
As a temporary measure, here's a link to a Google drive zip of all of the 3D Printed components on the Orion Armor model.

HR-OS1 Orion Armor STL Models
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NpW8xHw130TlpGRy13cEVfX0k/view?usp=sharing)
I have a new revision drop on the way, so again I must reiterate, use these for testing purposes only. We made some changes to the long AX brackets for final production run that I need to propagate through the 3d models we have hosted, along with the updated 3D shells for the femur and tibias. Expect this drop later this week.

LloydF
04-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks, I'll certainly try this and thanks. Just so many Trojans and web-browser hijacking going on, it's not that easy to just download "FREE" software anymore.

tician
04-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I'll certainly try this and thanks. Just so many Trojans and web-browser hijacking going on, it's not that easy to just download "FREE" software anymore.
True, especially since their site address is not exactly their project name (http://freecadweb.org/).

LloydF
05-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I'll be busy printing for a few days ;-)

LloydF
05-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I will have my first print in 8 hrs, will picture this when i'm done as he is all black ;-)
Thank you so much for the stl files, my word just fit an i mean not a cinameter to spare on my print bead .

LloydF
05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Hi, say how does this shapeways store you were going to set up work? I have never shipped out for parts (3-D parts) so will this
be like a package/kit that we can buy from you all or what? I'm working with different materials on my 3-D printer right now, seems all abs formulas are not the same.

oesile
05-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi All,

I have just print the head :happy:

LloydF
05-07-2015, 01:30 PM
OMG! This dam 3-D printer is mesmerizing me.:rolleyes:

dmcman73
05-07-2015, 01:48 PM
I had a question regarding the head: Why was this shape chosen over the other shape heads I've seen (like the "traditional" Jimmy head). Was it the weight?

oesile
05-07-2015, 02:27 PM
It is just a design, I think the weight is not a problem even if you print with any plastic in the market, but especially with nylon it is like a feather. That is why at the specification of the trossent site they say "Body panels: 3D printed nylon"

jwatte
05-07-2015, 07:27 PM
I think PLA is even less dense than Nylon.
I think the real reason is that the default/best plastic on Shapeways is Nylon! (They call it "strong and flexible")

dmcman73
05-08-2015, 10:38 AM
But PLA is not as flexible as Nylon and will crack.

LloydF
05-08-2015, 01:55 PM
ABS is what I use but some of these glow in the dark formulas are well, hum, expermintal lol!

DresnerRobotics
05-08-2015, 03:27 PM
I had a question regarding the head: Why was this shape chosen over the other shape heads I've seen (like the "traditional" Jimmy head). Was it the weight?

It's just an aesthetic design I came up with, but I was trying to keep it quite a bit smaller.

Jimmy, while cute, has an impractically large head. We had a lot of problems with the head cracking like an egg when it would take a hard fall. Furthermore, we don't own the IP to open source the Jimmy 3d models, and the owner of those chose not to release them. I have a few different head designs that should be ready for release in the next week or two though, among some hand variations.

LloydF
05-09-2015, 04:45 PM
AH, HA! The L-bracket's are for mounting the body shells ;-)
Should have a full set of black abs skins in a day or so.

dmcman73
05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
It's just an aesthetic design I came up with, but I was trying to keep it quite a bit smaller.

Jimmy, while cute, has an impractically large head. We had a lot of problems with the head cracking like an egg when it would take a hard fall. Furthermore, we don't own the IP to open source the Jimmy 3d models, and the owner of those chose not to release them. I have a few different head designs that should be ready for release in the next week or two though, among some hand variations.

Oh, OK. I was a bit confused because it didn't look like any of the heads that I saw previously and also, it didn't look much like a head but a camera lense sort of..

DresnerRobotics
05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Just some stuff I've been printing and playing around with over the weekend, setup a sandbox repo that I'll periodically throw test models into if you guys are curious:

https://github.com/DresnerRobotics/HumanoidPrintSandbox

Orion helmet has two versions in there, trying to make it so it can be built without support materials.I changed how the Orion helmet mounts in relation to the camera, meaning the camera stays mounted permanently to the robot rather than mounting to the helmet. The helm attaches to a metal side bracket on the top of the robot's tilt servo, and will also make it easier to print on FDM printers.

I also did a slight redesign of the Orion hand models- split into two parts that bolt together for easier printing on FDM printers. The Hand part needs to be filled in as a solid or you'll have some support issues.

DresnerRobotics
05-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Here's the v1 print version I did on the Orion helmet redesign I did over the weekend.

Kind of a rough print on the front cone of it, the part was printed with the front cone oriented down towards table, without support material.

My printer still needs some work tuning in for support-less prints at that angle.

LloydF
05-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Sweet, I'll check them out tomorrow. In the middle of a re-print of the chest. Did my first run on course now doing a fine print. ;-)
YES! I Love this head design. See what happens when a builder designs :cool: Very, Very cool.

LloydF
05-15-2015, 01:20 PM
5940HERO1 at your service....:wink: Finished. I did need to use a x-acto on the lower Tibia shells to get screw
clearances for the upper femur leg shells screws.

Mike.
05-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks for pic, very cool. Looks like the hands turned out real nice and possibly lighter than the kit part.

DresnerRobotics
05-20-2015, 04:22 AM
5940HERO1 at your service....:wink: Finished. I did need to use a x-acto on the lower Tibia shells to get screw
clearances for the upper femur leg shells screws.

Those look really good! What printer are you using?

LloydF
05-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi, yea and they feel nice too (i mean the robot just feels nice to hold with skins on it.:o). I use the UP! version 2, Mega Hold hair spray and a heat gun to get the bed up to temp ( the little heaters
in the center of the bed take a hour to get to 100 so i help out, and just let the heaters keep the heat up.) This jewel has a self leveling bed ;-)

LloydF
05-20-2015, 07:57 AM
It's only flaw is it can only print maybe a inch more than that front shell was. :sad:

DresnerRobotics
05-23-2015, 02:48 AM
Hey guys,

Managed to get our Shapeways store up and running, has the Orion set of armor uploaded with latest versions. For a full set of Orion armor, you will need 4x of the Shoulder/Elbow parts, 2x Hands, 2x Bicep, and 2x Femur. All remaining parts are 1x quantity for a full set.

Note: These are priced with no additional markup, you can upload the same files and buy them for the same price. I believe a full set is around $250 via shapeways. Once again, these parts are in Beta so I cannot guarantee their functionality whatsoever. I can attest that my own Orion armored robot is walking with a full set of armor, but there may be tweaking/weight considerations as we make further development.

Note: The femur shells are a bit out of date. They will work and look just fine, but a few of the holes are misaligned due to a bracket design change. Will update soon.

LloydF
05-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Thank you. Have a great weekend.:cool: It takes something like ten day s to get these back.

tician
05-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Kinda glad I should still have most of a 34oz jar of InstaMorph whenever I finally get my grubby little mitts on an HR-OS1. The hand molded results certainly wouldn't be as precise as printed designs, but should still be interesting and very tough.

dyen
05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Tiberius, could you update the .stil files with the bicep shell(inside the temporary google drive)? I cross-referenced it with shapeways website, and that was the only part missing. Thanks!

DresnerRobotics
05-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Tiberius, could you update the .stil files with the bicep shell(inside the temporary google drive)? I cross-referenced it with shapeways website, and that was the only part missing. Thanks!

I will probably pull the google drive down and just update the main Repo here in the next week.

FYI, you can download the STL files directly from Shapeways as well, I turned on "downloadable" on all files in our shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJCECAJS6/hr-os1-orion-bicep-armor

dyen
05-29-2015, 04:15 PM
I will probably pull the google drive down and just update the main Repo here in the next week.

FYI, you can download the STL files directly from Shapeways as well, I turned on "downloadable" on all files in our shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJCECAJS6/hr-os1-orion-bicep-armor

How do you post pictures on the forum? Mine's on my desktop and I don't know how to obtain the link...

For the elbow and shoulder shells, do you need a screw on one side and nut on the other?

And can the Giger head fit on the HR OS1?

tician
05-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Click the little 'Insert Image' button between the 'remove link' and 'insert video' buttons. Select the 'From Computer' at the top of the 'Insert Image' window that pops up, then click the 'Browse' button. After selecting the file through the new window to pop up, it's path should show up in the 'Insert Image' window with the 'Upload File(s)' button click-able.

dyen
05-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Click the little 'Insert Image' button between the 'remove link' and 'insert video' buttons. Select the 'From Computer' at the top of the 'Insert Image' window that pops up, then click the 'Browse' button. After selecting the file through the new window to pop up, it's path should show up in the 'Insert Image' window with the 'Upload File(s)' button click-able.

Thanks tician. Meet Azul.

LloydF
06-12-2015, 04:13 PM
60256027:o All dressed up.

DresnerRobotics
06-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Looking slick guys!

One thing to watch for is overheating with the shells. That's why the parts are still in beta, need to do some further walk validation to ensure we're not overloading the max payload of the robots. I would say that the Orion Armor Set represents the current maximum weight the robot should carry.

LloydF
06-13-2015, 07:36 AM
HUM. I noticed the nylon shells from shapeways (got a full set last week), are quite a bit lighter than my 3-d printed ABS shells. The material makes a huge difference in weight. I think my abs head weights more than all the nylon shells, all put together. (Note. The shapeways black is a very dull flat black, all most like a flat black velvet)

jwatte
06-13-2015, 11:56 AM
The shapeways black is a very dull flat black, all most like a flat black velvet

Personally, I love that material. Very lethal looking :-)
They sell polished nylon in a bunch of colors, but for some reason, not black.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic

tigakub
06-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been using shapeways printed parts for my hexbot, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how light and strong they are. It takes a while to get the parts, though — 2 weeks — but it's primo quality! At this point, I'm just worried that if I ever break down and invest in a 3D-printer, I'm going to be disappointed.

DresnerRobotics
06-14-2015, 03:05 PM
I've been using shapeways printed parts for my hexbot, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how light and strong they are. It takes a while to get the parts, though — 2 weeks — but it's primo quality! At this point, I'm just worried that if I ever break down and invest in a 3D-printer, I'm going to be disappointed.

I use Shapeways extensively for in-house prototyping but recently invested in a small RepRap knockoff. It's great for parts in a pinch, but Shapeways quality and strength is just unbelievable for the price. With that said, 2 months of owning my 3D printer and it's paid for itself as I would've had the parts printed at Shapeways beforehand.

FWIW- I think the black SWF material from Shapeways is actually polished as well, even though not listed as such. The head pieces in the HROS1 are all black, and they have the same sort of matte texture that my colored parts have. Just got in a full set of Orion Armor in Blue & Orange, will post pics once they're assembled.

tician
06-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Blue and Orange Morality (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlueAndOrangeMorality)?

Piper
07-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Is there a URDF file for the HROS-1?

oesile
07-08-2015, 11:35 AM
@Tyberus Which software are you using to make the Armor? Solidworks?

bstag
07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Is there a URDF file for the HROS-1?

I am guessing with no response it mean no. I am already going in the direction myself. So maybe we can work together to produce one.

r3n33
07-10-2015, 12:13 PM
As far as I know there isn't a URDF for the HR-OS1 but there is one started for the HR-OS5 that might be a nice stepping stone:
https://github.com/costashatz/HROS5/tree/master/hros5_description/urdf

Also as far as I know the armor design was created in Autodesk Inventor but I do believe Tyberius is out of town atm.

sonel
09-27-2015, 02:41 PM
@Tyberus Which software are you using to make the Armor? Solidworks?

Autodesk Inventor 2014.
You can open the STEP file with a text processor (best with TextWrangler) and see the details. A STEP is nothing but a very big text file.

KurtEck
12-07-2015, 09:41 AM
I was sort of wondering if there are any updates to these models and/or if these models are available in other formats?

I have been hacking a bit with the Hand model some with sketchup, to make room to fit for a circuit board with neopixel. I have made a version that sort of works, by importing the hand stl file into sketchup, and then hacking it some, but my skills here are very limited.

Example not sure if there is an easy way to change the screw holes to mount the two pieces from 3mm to 2mm. But again I am very new to trying to do anything with 3d software. The other package I am attempting to learn is the Fusion 3d, which in the longer term I think I will be more comfortable using.

Thanks

DresnerRobotics
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
I was sort of wondering if there are any updates to these models and/or if these models are available in other formats?

I have been hacking a bit with the Hand model some with sketchup, to make room to fit for a circuit board with neopixel. I have made a version that sort of works, by importing the hand stl file into sketchup, and then hacking it some, but my skills here are very limited.

Example not sure if there is an easy way to change the screw holes to mount the two pieces from 3mm to 2mm. But again I am very new to trying to do anything with 3d software. The other package I am attempting to learn is the Fusion 3d, which in the longer term I think I will be more comfortable using.

Thanks

I've been working on getting updates rolled out for both the OS1 and OS5 3D models (both the endoskeleton as well as armor models), there will be downloads for both STL and STP format for the armor available on Github sometime this week.

LloydF
12-13-2015, 09:25 AM
So glad to hear from you.:wink: How would one go about finding these Github updates?

LloydF
12-15-2015, 07:22 AM
So, the bottom line here, is if you are not using telemetry data, which needs serious timing and needs a RT (real time kernel), you can get buy with almost any Distro that the HROS1-Framework will compile in, as long as you turn off the Desktop.:rolleyes:

KurtEck
12-15-2015, 08:23 AM
So glad to hear from you.:wink: How would one go about finding these Github updates?
Me too about hearing there would be an update soon.

My guess is that they will probably go into:
Maybe the stl files into his sandbox (https://github.com/DresnerRobotics/HumanoidPrintSandbox/)?
And maybe the stp files in: the HROS1-3d Model (https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-3D-Models) project?

But I am just guessing. Another guess would be to their Shapeways store (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/interbotix). So far I have not seen anything yet, but hopeful!

So, the bottom line here, is if you are not using telemetry data, which needs serious timing and needs a RT (real time kernel), you can get buy with almost any Distro that the HROS1-Framework will compile in, as long as you turn off the Desktop.:rolleyes:
Probably meant for another thread? Like problems with RPI?

LloydF
12-15-2015, 05:56 PM
LoL yea! Dam wrong thread, late at night tired that's my story. But yea kinda was hoping he would have done something , but I am sure there is a reason, real life and such. But I have noticed Github is taking like 10 month's for anything to come down, so this could be a Long time before anything appears. LOL a week LOL

LloydF
03-14-2016, 11:55 AM
So to set things right . How would one go about finding these Github updates? Or are there any for the HROS1 in the coming year?
And if so how does one get them, this year and not next year?

r3n33
03-17-2016, 02:46 PM
The HR-OS1 updated files will likely be posted to this repository:

https://github.com/Interbotix/HROS1-3D-Models

There is also the Shapeways store that you can keep an eye on which appears to have slightly newer models:

And it would be very likely when updated models are available a forum announcement or blog post will be created. There isn't a release date that I know of but there is a good chance the next revision will be available before the new year. I'm just speculating but I suspect the models will not change drastically but will have less mass to reduce the robot's payload but you never know.. there may be a surprise coming just the same. ;)

KurtEck
03-17-2016, 03:20 PM
I also keep checking the github project you mentioned as well as his HumanoidPrintSandbox and so far no updates in about 9-10 months.

LloydF
03-17-2016, 03:45 PM
LOL, I just Knew you were going to say that, but had to see if there was a short cut to getting the files as Tyberius has just been absent with out leave on this project. :wink:

tician
03-19-2016, 02:15 AM
I don't think it is so much being AWOL as simply having way too many projects and too little time. Also, who really wants a bunch of clones? Armor and shells are non-structural, so anyone can make their own as long as they have the endoskeleton model to build off of. Speaking of, it would be nice to have an up-to-date step part file for each of the aluminum AX frames on their respective product page so that one could just download it and plug it into an assembly instead of having to export them from the full HROS-1 assembly step file.

Now that I've finally gotten Ripley's arms and legs reconfigured and reassembled, I really need to get the windows hdd reinstalled so I can try out Fusion 360 because FreeCAD and LibreCAD are not really cutting it.

LloydF
03-19-2016, 08:36 AM
I know but geezzz even lining up the holes on the existing one year old armor would seem like a small thing, when was anything done last on this project, maybe he needs to let someone else take it over!?

tician
03-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm sure volunteers would be welcome. The Trossen shop is not a big operation (<20 people, only 2~3 coders) and the funding from Intel only covered the initial launch of the HROS-1/5.

Whenever the Windows 10 upgrade finishes downloading, I will then have access to Fusion360 and can start making stuff for Ripley's modified arms. XL-320/AX-12/'5g hobby servo' grippers might be first, although an airsoft gun mount could be just as likely.