PDA

View Full Version : [Bioloid] HR-OS1 Battery check Low Voltage warning FIX



edmay
04-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Moderator note: Do NOT do this. This is how Lipo battery fires happen.

I just got my HR-OS1 walking (for about 5 minutes total) and having not put on the little battery low voltage warning system, the beast started stooping lower and lower and finally stopped!
So when I tried to follow the battery charging procedure carefully outlined here http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/index.php/getting-started-with-the-arbotix/11-lipo-battery-guide and when pressing the start button for 3 seconds, the charger gave me a LOW VOLTAGE warning.

SO! This quiet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uchFUiXPdQU video suggested that we switch the battery type to NiMh and charge it for about 30-45 seconds at 2.0 A until the voltage got above 10V. Then I switched back to the LiPo Balanced charging at 2.2A (11.1V 3S) and the battery check worked!

Hope this saves someone the half-hour I just wasted!

Happy walking,
Ed May

kgranat
05-01-2015, 01:20 AM
edmay,

You should never charge your battery with a any other protocol than the lipo one. Once the cells go too low, they can become unstable. We strongly discourage that you continue using the battery - force-charging lipo batteries can lead to unstable batteries. Unstable batteries are a fire risk which can damage your robot, charger, and more.

If your battery shows any signs of expanding, please stop using it immediately. Again, I can't stress enough how much we do not condne this charging practice or using batteries that have been force-charged.

jwatte
05-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Hope this saves someone the half-hour I just wasted!

You might save a half-hour, and you might lose a living room. Win some, lose some.

5899
(Image from "rcgroups")

DresnerRobotics
05-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Heya,

Appreciate that you shared your experience here, however Lipo charging is something that should not be trifled with. I am locking this thread and posting a warning at the top, as this isn't something we want to condone users doing. Saving a $20~ battery is never worth risking a dangerous fire incident.