PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] The Next Round of HR-OS1 Beta Kits is available!

kgranat
06-19-2015, 06:13 PM
We'll be announcing this officially on the store/blog and via newsletter on Monday, but we wanted to let the TRC members know a little early that we're taking pre-orders for the HR-OS1 kits again!
Product Page (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/HR-OS1)
We're accepting pre-orders for 50 HR-OS1 kits. We're aiming to ship the kits at the end of August. The biggest thing that we're waiting on is the next round of ArbotiX-Pro boards, which we're expecting next month.

OldBotBuilder
08-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Any word on the release of the 2nd round of HR-OS1 Beta Kits?

ericshi
09-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Any updates on the late August shipping target?

LloydF
09-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Hum , September so, something went wrong. It would be cool to know what, but i think tempers might flair if I asked what up!.

drachels
09-07-2015, 10:24 AM
I called them August 27 and was told they expected to start shipping the second week of September. No explanation offered as to why there is a delay.

KurtEck
09-07-2015, 10:48 AM
My guess is that they have not gotten in the new batch of Arbotix-Pro's yet...

OldBotBuilder
09-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Again, Any word on the release of the 2nd round of HR-OS1 Beta Kits?

Buckbot
09-16-2015, 06:56 AM
So ,,, Now I'm resorting to asking questions on public forums as TO THE WHEREABOUTS OF THE ROBOT I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR IN JUNE ??? ,,, It's now the middle of SEPTEMBER ,,,
You know , I was actually ecstatic when the first email came through about these being available ,,, so much so that I went straight to the site and ordered and paid for one ( because it was , and still is listed as 'IN STOCK' ) , even got the email back from you saying that it was ready to go ,,,

then a couple of days later I get the 'ON HOLD' email ,,, then the product page gets 'updated' ,,, since then it has been quite interesting ,,,

*emails have been stonewalled ,,, ( and You say it was my misunderstanding ,,, I'm quite happy to post the timeline of emails and the relevant screenshots )
*been no signs of life on the product site for weeks ,,, ( apart from the counter clicking down 3 over the last month , yes I've been watching )
*been no signs of life on the facebook page either ,,, ( but someone has gone to the trouble of posting 'happy snaps' of the robots 'chillin' ,,, nice to see that someone is getting some use out of them )

When I finally did find out ( Aug 5 ) that it was the controllers that still hadn't turned up , I asked them to send me the robot and I'd wait for the controller ,,, seems that's not going to happen either ,,,

I'm a retired 'Tech' ( military and industry ) who goes back to the days of JADE 8bit micro-controllers in telecommunications ( 5 cards , metal cage , size of a shoe box ) and GOULD 10Mhz computers ( Actual flight simulation rigs , F-111 among others ) so to say that Computers and Robotics have been integral in my life is just a bit of an understatement ,,, that being said , I'd have hoped that the people here would have been a bit more forthcoming with info for those of us who have forked out our hard earned cash ,,,
( $1600US = $1800AU ) ,,, and shipping & insurance costs haven't even been mentioned yet , and I'm in Australia on the other side of the planet ,,,

NEED some information people ...

kgranat
09-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for the delay and lack of info on the latest HR-OS1s. We had more delays with the ArbotiX-Pros than we anticipated. This pushed out ship date (the end of August as was listed on the website) out until now.

The good news is that we've got all of the ArbotiX pros in and we'll start shipping units today and we expect to have all units out by the end of the week (September 18th).

Again, thank you all for your patience. If anything changes in the next couple of days I'll make a post.

ericshi
09-17-2015, 10:41 AM
They are trying their best. Keep in mind this isn't a pre-order for a game release, it is for a robotics research / development kit. They give a best estimate and weren't too far off the date they said. A couple of weeks to me is a very minor delay.

KurtEck
09-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Hi Kyle,

As a beta 1 person, was wondering if there were any major changes for the 2nd round? If so will there be upgrade kits available?
Anything new on the ArbotiX Pros? New firmware?

Thanks
Kurt

tician
09-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Mostly talking out of my ass right now since I didn't check my email often enough, but...

Since the kits were mostly ready to ship by early June, I'm guessing there were significant changes in the Arbotix-Pro hardware (specifically, the 3-pin + 4-pin dxl comms setup) in addition to the major delays in getting the Arbotix-Pro from the contract manufacturer(s?). Moving from the CM-730 to the CM-700 dxl comms setup would not require any firmware changes to enable both TTL and RS-485 comms simultaneously unless there were changes to which UART and/or GPIO pins were used to control direction (just one TXD, one RXD, and one DXL_DIR pin needed for either hardware design). If the dxl comms was the only change, there should not be any functional difference between new and old revisions of the Arbotix-Pro unless you are trying to mix TTL and RS-485 servos. If the IMU was upgraded to a single 3/3/3-DOF Acc/Gyro/Mag IC instead of two 3-DOF accelerometer and gyro ICs, there would be some firmware differences but not necessarily any difference in the Arbotix-Pro registers (state and sensor data) accessible from the framework.

KurtEck
09-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks tician,

I am mostly just curious. I am wondering if there are some significant changes to the firmware, such that I would want to get myself setup to be able to flash it. If so was also wondering if Trossen will be selling the necessary hardware. Will wait to see...

tician
09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
STM's ST-LINK JTAG programmers (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ST-LINK%2FV2/497-10484-ND/2214535) are pretty cheap on digikey for use with STM's programming software, and there are several SWD-compatible programmers (many ARM Cortex demo boards have one on-board: Freescale Freedom, STM Nucleo, etc.) that work with almost any SWD-compatible microcontroller via OpenOCD after a bit of configuration and/or manually (re-)building OpenOCD. In addition to being ~$11 each, the Nucleo boards are also mbed-compatible in many flavors of Cortex M0~M4.

kgranat
09-22-2015, 12:07 PM
We had a minor delay, but almost all of the HR-OS1 kits are now shipped out. There's one left that had some extra pieces on the order that we're still waiting to ship, but that one should get shipped out today or tomorrow. If you have any questions about your order, just e-mail me ([email protected]) with your order number.

HR-OS1s are now available on the store with a 1-week lead time.

ArbotiX pros should be available on the store sometime next week. Most of our delays were due to manufacturing and getting in a couple of key parts for the ArbotiX-pros.

Kurte - we are going to be selling the STlinks and connectors for reprogramming the firmware, though I'll ask Andrew to jump in with more information on that and your other questions.

LloydF
09-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Woot! Woot! PROS for sale. yes!:cool:

tician
09-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Since Tybs is not very active right now, the ST/Link has a standard 20-pin JTAG connector and digikey sells several different 20-pin to 10-pin cable adapters (20-pin standard JTAG to 10-pin Cortex JTAG/SWD). The cheapest option is probably the Olimex adapter (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ARM-JTAG-20-10/1188-1016-ND/3471401), but just doing a digikey search for 'jtag' and looking under programmer accessories will get you several other options.

The 10-pin Cortex JTAG/SWD connector is a 2x5 0.05"-pitch connector, so connectors and cables are readily available. If the product image is accurate, then the JTAG connector of the Arbotix-Pro is marked and located between the 4-pin USB connector and the Xbee socket. Not sure the silkscreen for the polarity key/tab is correct, so double check the assembly of the cable to make sure pin 1 of the adapter's JTAG header mates with pin 1 of the Arbotix-Pro's JTAG header (the pin 1 indicator/indentation is usually on the same side as the polarity key/tab). There are manuals for the ST/Link hardware and software on the STM product page for the ST/Link, and likely many online tutorials given the massive popularity of STM32 microcontrollers.

If you are using a Freescale Freedom board as a programmer, you will have to load the corresponding version of the CMSIS-DAP_OpenSDA application to the board before it will interact with OpenOCD. Older versions of the bootloader did not correctly appear as a USB mass-storage device on non-windows systems, so would require access to a windows system only for the initial upload of the OpenSDA application. The Freedom boards also do not usually come with the 10-pin JTAG connectors populated, so would have to buy the headers in addition to the 10-pin cable. Not sure about the headers on the Nucleo boards, but they should have the 10-pin JTAG connector and may also have a simplified SWD 0.1"-pitch header. Both Freedom and Nucleo boards will almost certainly require desoldering jumpers and/or cutting traces to disconnect the on-board programmer from the native ARM microcontroller target to allow the Arbotix-Pro to be programmed.

KurtEck
09-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks again tician,

I put an order in to digikey for the stlink as well as an olimax adapter. Will see if I need them...
While I was at it I also put in an order to populate a couple of Teensy boards with the same footprint... (Sorry off subject)

Since Tybs is not very active right now, ...
Was wondering if that will change sometime soon? Hopefully he can take a look at any open pull requests and the open issues.

Also maybe one or more other users could be given the ability to update the master project. Example it would be great if the main tree had a lot of R3n33's fixes in it. Just a suggestion.

Thanks