PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Linear Actuator Project ($500 Contract Work)

kfritz
07-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Hello, I am looking to hire someone to help me control a linear actuator with a button and 12 V battery.

Here (https://www.ablenetinc.com/technology/switches/micro-light-switch) is a link to the button. Essentially, when I press the button the actuator will move out. When I press the button again the actuator will move in. Depending on how long I hold the button down will determine the distance. That's about it. I have an actuator in mind and a timeline of one month. I will pay someone $500 for this project, not including any of the parts. I'm hoping that someone can do this for me relatively easily and soon.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you! :cool:

jwatte
07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Here are some questions that anyone taking this contract would need to ask:

How strong an actuator do you need?
How will you power it? (Wall connection?)
How far does it need to actuate?
How fast does it need to actuate?
How much can it weigh?
How will you mount it to whatever you're controlling?

Also, if it goes out every other time, and in every other time, won't you have a problem if you bring it out far, then in a little bit, and then want to bring it in a little more? Pressing the button again would bring it out. (Maybe you'd press it twice in that case?)

What's special about that switch? Could you not use a button that has separate in/out directions, or is it more important that it has a large activation area and light activation force?
Also, the specifications for that switch don't mention whether it is a toggle switch, or a momentary switch. For the behavior you indicate, is has to be momentary. (It kind-of looks like it is, but knowing for sure is always better.)

kfritz
07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the quick response! To answer your questions:

Ability to lift between 5 and 10 pounds pounds

12 V battery, rechargeable

3 inches. But, I would like it to be as compact as possible. I'm thinking that one of the Firgelli actuators would be best.

Not fast

How much can it weigh?
Anything less than 10 pounds

I don't know exactly yet. It will be standing straight up and actuate toward the ceiling. Probably a combination of screws and tie wraps.

Also, if it goes out every other time, and in every other time, won't you have a problem if you bring it out far, then in a little bit, and then want to bring it in a little more? Pressing the button again would bring it out. (Maybe you'd press it twice in that case?)
It doesn't matter to me that it would not be able to go out and then out some more without first going back in. I would press it twice, yes. Essentially, if I push the button once and hold it it will go out to capacity and then stop. If I push the button again, it will go back in and stop once it is all the way retracted. If I let go of the button at any point in between it will stop at that location, and when I press the button again it would go the opposite direction.

What's special about that switch? Could you not use a button that has separate in/out directions, or is it more important that it has a large activation area and light activation force?
Light activation force is critical.

Also, the specifications for that switch don't mention whether it is a toggle switch, or a momentary switch. For the behavior you indicate, is has to be momentary. (It kind-of looks like it is, but knowing for sure is always better.)
I tried to contact the company but they are closed for the holiday. I believe that it is momentary. If it is not, like I said, light activation force is most dispositive.

I checked out solenoids and even though those are compact, they are too fast and do not actuate far enough. There are other considerations regarding the top of the actuator, but for the purposes of building I am most concerned about getting an actuator that can be powered by a battery and plugged into this particular switch, or a similar one.

kfritz
07-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Thank you for your quick response. To answer your questions:

Between 5 and 10 pounds.

A 12 V battery, rechargeable.

2 to 3 inches.

Not fast.

How much can it weigh?
Up to 5 pounds.

Screws and tie wraps. The actuator will be standing vertically and actuate toward the ceiling.

I would never need to bring it out and then out again without first bringing it back in. I press and hold the button and it goes out all the way to maximum unless I let go of the button. If I let go and push it again it will go all the way back in unless I let go of the button before complete retraction.

Light activation force is the most important feature. I can only have a single button.

I believe it is a momentary switch. The company is not open today because of the holiday. Light activation force is dispositive.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you and others about possibly taking on this job.

r3n33
07-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Just to provide an update. I'm in communication with the OP and am going to be assisting with this project.

We are in process of assembling a parts list before moving on to programming and assembly.