PDA

View Full Version : The New PhantomX AX Metal Hexapod Kit is here!

wadecore
11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
We just rolled out the newest version of the PhantomX AX Hexapod (https://www.trossenrobotics.com/phantomx-ax-hexapod.aspx), and it is a force to be reckoned with. With a full metal frame, high capacity LiPo battery, and some thoughtfully engineered design changes, this is a robot we're truly proud of. If you already have a MK-II, we have the PhantomX Metal Hexapod MK-III Upgrade Kit (https://www.trossenrobotics.com/phantomx-metal-hexapod-mk-iii-upgrade-kit.aspx), which will allow you to reinforce your hexapod with the new aluminum frame. All of this is rolling out at Black Friday & Cyber Monday (https://www.trossenrobotics.com/trossenBlackFriday) sale prices, so strike while the metal is hot!;)

jwatte
11-25-2015, 06:12 PM
That looks awesome!
Are you doing the same to the quad? Because that's something I might buy :-)
(I don't have the hex)

tician
11-25-2015, 06:40 PM
That looks awesome!
(I don't have the hex)
You could just use the hex chassis, not populate the middle legs, and then have spare leg frames for emergency repairs.

Zenta
11-26-2015, 05:36 AM
Congratulations with the new kit! Looking great!

r3n33
11-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Metal kit.. awesome :)

Do you have any details on the weight difference between the MK-II and MK-III kits?

jwatte
11-26-2015, 01:25 PM
You could just use the hex chassis, not populate the middle legs, and then have spare leg frames for emergency repairs.

I think the hex is longer than the quad, though.

TXBDan
12-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Do you have any details on the weight difference between the MK-II and MK-III kits?

x2 on the weight.

I'd love to use these body plates, my plastic plates break every time i look at them wrong. My ol' bot is a bit dusty at the moment but i'm hoping to work on it again this winter. Exciting!

wadecore
12-02-2015, 04:25 PM
That looks awesome!
(I don't have the hex)

Due to a broad lack of interest for the quad in the customer base, we haven't planned on releasing a new version of the quad. New metal bracket leg kits for the quad are inbound if you're looking to upgrade, but the body plates won't be released in metal with that kit.

wadecore
12-02-2015, 04:30 PM

The total weight for the MK-II came in around 4.4 lbs. The new MK-III kit (mind you with a huge battery that fills the entire body cavity) comes in at 5.1 lbs. It feels like a tank, but moves as smoothly as ever.

KurtEck
12-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks Wade

r3n33
12-03-2015, 03:10 PM
The total weight for the MK-II came in around 4.4 lbs. The new MK-III kit (mind you with a huge battery that fills the entire body cavity) comes in at 5.1 lbs. It feels like a tank, but moves as smoothly as ever.

Thanks :) Do you have any pictures of the new toe design? I'm curious if it still uses the stick on rubber pads for traction? Or if I could possibly print a rubberized toe to replace the delrin plate.

wadecore
12-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks :) Do you have any pictures of the new toe design? I'm curious if it still uses the stick on rubber pads for traction? Or if I could possibly print a rubberized toe to replace the delrin plate.

I'm sure you've seen it by now, but I took a video of the new foot. The delrin plate is slotted so that you can place rubber socks over it. This really keeps things running super smooth. It grips enough to move cleanly on hard surfaces, and it doesn't have so much surface area that it causes an issue on carpet. Always feel free to experiment with the design. You might find out something that we haven't!
https://www.instagram.com/p/-2XVz2Hg1O/

r3n33
12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Wade! I think the new foot looks great and bet it will withstand a lot more wear and tear.

LloydF
12-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Yea! I love the metal parts, I had stopped working on this bot because the plates would get brittle and break when you chnaged
things out. No more. Good job thank you.:cool:

scandermore
02-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Hello!

As I can see, the junction between the tibia bracket and the servo has only 4 screws per side, and in the mark II version it had 7, with one of the sides of the bracket extending the full extension of the servo. As the servo attahcment is made of plastic, would not have been better to design that part of the servo as the previous version? Or is this enough for the weight it has to support? I'm thinking about the long term use and possible problems in the future.

Anyway, great update for the PhantomX!

Alex

jwatte
02-04-2016, 01:23 PM
While the servo is made of plastic, it's made of a much stronger plastic than the one used in the previous Phantom cases.

Sincerely,

jw

scandermore
02-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Thank you jw. Glad to see the Servos are also improved in the new version!

I have a question I don't know if someone will know about it: looking at the original PhantomX, the one with the straight tibias, I see that the design of the legs is very different from the mark II and III, and somehow it likes me more, but I suppose that the new design offers some advantages to the hexapod, but I don't know clearly what are them. Anyone knows what benefits (or reasons for the change) has the mark II leg design over the original PhantomX?

Thank you

Alex

jwatte
02-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Glad to see the Servos are also improved in the new version!

Sorry, I was unclear. It turns out that different kinds of plastics have different properties.

The servos haven't changed. They're made of something like Acetal, which is a strong, robust plastic. (I haven't found publicly available specs, but it feels like Acetal in the hand, and it's less slippery than something like Nylon 6/6, which is another strong engineering plastic, and less shiny than something like ABS which is cheaper, but less robust, which kind-of leaves Acetal as the main candidate.)

The previous version of the skeleton used an Acrylic/Polycarbonate mix that was laser cut. Unfortunately, that's somewhat fragile and sesitive to cracking. But it's easy to laser cut and manufacture things out of!

The new version is apparently made of 5052 aluminum. My guess is they water jet cut it, and then bend some pieces on a break. 5052 is a little more wiggly than 6061, but it bends much nicer without cracking, and it is a significant upgrade compared to the previous plastics!

Also, I want a quad version :-)

ezex
02-06-2016, 01:52 PM
nice, tempting

KurtEck
02-13-2016, 04:08 PM
nice, tempting
I broke down and ordered...

scandermore
02-14-2016, 04:16 AM
I broke down and ordered...

Me too... But I ha e received an email saying that it is currently on hold, because of stock. Hope it won't take long! It's my first hexapod and I'm looking forward to put my hands on it!

Alex

KurtEck
02-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Me too... But I ha e received an email saying that it is currently on hold, because of stock. Hope it won't take long! It's my first hexapod and I'm looking forward to put my hands on it!

Hopefully not too long of a delay, as both the full kit and the upgrade kit that I ordered both show in stock at the Trossen Store...

reltham
05-27-2016, 12:52 PM
I have a PhantomX AX Hexepod that I bought back in January of 2013. Will this metal upgrade kit work with it?

_ADAM_
05-27-2016, 03:18 PM
I have a PhantomX AX Hexepod that I bought back in January of 2013. Will this metal upgrade kit work with it?

My understanding is that is exactly what the upgrade kit does.

reltham
05-27-2016, 03:37 PM
My PhantomX AX is pre Mk II.

KevinO
05-27-2016, 08:55 PM
It's still ok.

KurtEck
05-27-2016, 10:07 PM
My PhantomX AX is pre Mk II.
The one part that I am not sure about is, the new kit has a board holder for the Arbotix-m board, not the original Arbotix board. Which may not be any big deal. It is possible they made allowances for the old board in this adapter, but not sure... Again not really a big deal.

reltham
05-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks for your replies, I have ordered the metal upgrade kit and when I get it, I can report my findings/results.

_ADAM_
05-28-2016, 07:11 AM
Good choice. The metal version is cool.

anbukumar73
03-24-2017, 02:43 AM
Its really beautiful kit, I bought this few weeks back, assembled it completely but my bad luck none of the programs are loading. Even a simple "Blink" program is not loading into the AurobotiX-M. Please help me Wade !!

Regards
Anbu Kumar
Bangalore, India

jwatte
03-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Three questions:

- Did you remove the Xbee before loading the sketch?

- What is the error you are seeing?

- Do you own an AVR ICSP programmer? ("Bootloader programmer" in Arduino speak)

DresnerRobotics
03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Its really beautiful kit, I bought this few weeks back, assembled it completely but my bad luck none of the programs are loading. Even a simple "Blink" program is not loading into the AurobotiX-M. Please help me Wade !!

Regards
Anbu Kumar
Bangalore, India

Please contact us directly for tech support, trsupport (at) trossenrobotics.com (trsupport@trossenrobotics.com)