PDA

View Full Version : Programming Robotis' Bioloid Premium CM-530 with a differen't programming language

johnr
12-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a bioloid premium kit from robotis but after a lot of researching I realize that the only ways to program it, as far as I can tell, is by embedded c, roboplus task, and r+ motion. I'm wondering if there's a programming language in between embedded c (it looks pretty scary) and roboplus task. All I'm really wondering is if I can program the cm-530 in a programming language kind of like arduino? Thanks in advance.

jwatte
12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Embedded C isn't that different from Arduino, although it has much less documentation.

You could replace the cm-530 with another controller -- either an Arbotix-M, or an OpenCM-9.04, if you want a different board that feels more like an Arduino. You'd have to make some adjustments to wiring and mounting to make that work, though.

johnr
12-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Okay, I'll probably try to learn embedded c then, thanks for your help and time! :)

tician
12-30-2015, 03:17 PM
It has been about 3 years since I've touched it, but the cm530 easy-functions (https://github.com/tician/cm530) are a somewhat easier place to start than the archive of examples from Robotis (http://support.robotis.com/en/techsupport_eng.htm#software/embeded_c/cm530.htm). It was basically collecting all the pieces from the examples into a single library for easier usage.

johnr
12-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks! That should be really helpful. What advantage do I have over roboplus task if I learn embedded c? Is it worth it? Thanks.

tician
12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
RoboPlus Task is very limited in what can be done with communication between CM-530 and other devices (PC via zigbee or bluetooth) and also has a strict limit on the number of variables that can be used in the Task program (also no arrays). The big benefit of using RoboPlus is that it still has the interpolating motion engine of the RoboPlus firmware; the cm530 easy-functions do not have access to a motion engine, so have to build your own or adapt something like the CM-9 motion engines.

johnr
12-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Oh, okay. Thanks :)