PDA

View Full Version : GDB front end?

KurtEck
03-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Just wondering, for those of you doing software development under Linux, In my case Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit...

Do you use some form of GUI front end for GDB? If so do you have one you recommend?

Thanks

Kurt

jwatte
03-23-2016, 01:05 PM
My considered opinion is that all the GUIs for GDB are terrible. They are even slower than plain GDB, and depending on which one it is, it might also lose sync at times, which is very frustrating.
I've found that using GDB in a terminal is the least bad way of using it.
Many years ago, I also had some success using the Emacs/GDB integration, but I have no idea whether it's still good (and it's slower than GDB-in-terminal by necessity.)

That being said, if I have hairy algorithms to debug, I'll do what it takes to port it to Windows, so I can debug in Visual Studio.
And when I have timing/integration problems to debug, no debugger that stops the system will work particularly well, and it's printf() all the way...

KurtEck
03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks,

I have used GDB in the past and it is always a stumbling act. I also do prefer visual studio, but have been told be Saleae that they prefer debugging logic Analyzer protocols using Mac or Linux as there is an issue debugging the newer stuff on windows.

For debugging, Linux or OSX is great, because you can easily debug using the latest Logic software. On Windows, the software does not like it when you attach a debugger. This is why we recommend that people debug using the 1.1.15 software on Windows, which is a total pain to do for several reasons.

Maybe I should try the Mac debugger?

jwatte
03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
On Windows, the software does not like it when you attach a debugger

Like, really? Did they do that like some kind of anti-reverse-engineering, or what? What does "does not like it" even mean?

I just started Logic 1.2.5 64-bit on Windows 8.1, opened Visual Studio 2013 and chose "attach to process" and it loaded symbols for a while, and then crashed in NTDLL with an invalid handle exception in a worker thread. That's ... exciting. Seems they have bugs.

KurtEck
03-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Maybe from their website (http://support.saleae.com/hc/en-us/articles/203808469-Debugging-the-Analyzer-SDK-on-Windows)page for the SDK stuff:

Starting version 1.1.21, a debugger can no longer be attached to the Logic software, this unfortunately means the software cannot be used to debug custom analyzers.

To work-around this issue, we will have to use an older software to build and debug the analyzers and then update the code to work with the new software and SDK.
Note: when my Analyzer was crashing, I had the option to click on debug, which would bring up Visual Studio and at times was able to get some valid information to deduce why it crashed (usually memory corruption).

Latest Dynamixel Analyzer code now uses std::stringstream instead of using things like snprintf and strcat... So hopefully no longer crashing. But that is a different topic.