PDA

View Full Version : Documentation Comments

slashsplat
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Specific to the MANOI PDF manual, it is NOT copyable. The PDF format used PREVENTS copying text to the clipboard. This means that you cannot PASTE the contents into a translator to TRY to get some meaning out of them...

The recommended translator is at Excite Japan, from what I hear, though I cannot read Japanese to know how good it works: http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

After pasting the Japanese into the left field, in the middle of the two boxes, highlight the LOWER section of the top field (the thing that looks like a square 8 represents Japanese, and the Kanji means English), and click the button below for the translation. Seems to work better than http://babelfish.altavista.com/...

slashsplat
01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Error: the header portion of the page saying one length of servo cable and the diagram another on Page 41 Step 15

Error: The power switch on Page 22 and elsewhere is shown to have two markings, a "|" and a "O". If that were true, the diagrams are wrong as "|" means ON, not OFF. However, the switch I got has ONLY a "O" and that alone means ON. The diagrams need to LOSE the "|" indication from the switch drawings.

REQUEST: Once servos are assembled into small units, they start to refer to the sub-assemblies as 'L'eft and 'R'ight from that point forward. Either provide some little labels for the Ls and Rs, or mention the SERVO numbers in the diagrams so we can confirm the right from the left...

REQUEST: Provide a suggestion for the black oval servo number position on the servos. I did not know where to put them where they would not be covered up later. Finally decided to put them all on the BACK once assembled.

slashsplat
01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
How about getting the motion files IN ENGLISH! I cannot load them... Sure would be a luxury!

Dave
01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Have you tried renaming the motion files before opening them?

edit: Believe me, we'll let everyone know as soon as we get any English files for Manoi.

slashsplat
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Finally did that in a short window today. They worked! Have no idea what the little spastic was going to do when it ran, but it worked. I even changed the INTERNAL names of the motion elements - or whatever the heck they are - with a quick Regular Expression (the name= in all the files).

I then had to build a LOOOONNGG cable to run from the PC to a hunk of carpet to put the little jerk on so he does not hurt his little jumping self.

I need a padded room. I have NOT yet figured out about the TRIM. I got the trim panel to work and have all the settings to "center" all the servos, but cannot figure out how that fits in the scheme of the stupid RCB files... Does it load every time HTH runs??? Is it saved in the RCB files? Why does it have a SAVE option on it? What is the meaning of life?

I will play more tomorrow...

Thanks for the help, Dave. Move away from the pod bay doors, Dave.

slashsplat
01-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Heard there are new docs posted today.
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/robot/download/download.html
Will confirm.

Alex
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Page translated by Google:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kyosho.com%2Fjpn%2Fpr oducts%2Frobot%2Fdownload%2Fdownload.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Dave
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Heard there are new docs posted today.
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/robot/download/download.html
Will confirm.

New, but the docs are still in Japanese.

Move away from the pod bay doors, Dave.

I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

slashsplat
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
The docs ARE different and have more material, thogh nothing so much as to cause a page numbering change. I found that if I do the hilite of the text, then do a "Contextual search" that the PDF allows, I can get the text into a reasch field in Yahoo. Then copy that and paste it into the Excite translator. Frankly, even reading the xlations, the docs are not very detailed, click for click, on the software instructions. The whole translation thing is over-rated and I am going it alone from the KHR-2HV Engrish docs.

slashsplat
01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
TRANSLATION?

I have had time to study all of the docs available. Essentially, the TRANSLATED docs are next to useless.

Bottom line, if the J. KONDO/KYOSHO think that they can just do an automated translation of the J. Manuals, that is an insult to this market. I am convinced that ALL xlations (KONDO) are the result of an automated (NON-HUMAN) process, including the labels and text in the HTH software.

An English speaking person to review and edit docs is NOT expensive. I own a software company and have spent time investigating Internationalization. It is NOT that expensive. Heck, for a coupla MANOIs, I would do it myself.

This is a horrible state of affairs. I am not just offended by the "literal" xlation, but by the fact that the instructions - especially for the software operation, are absolutely horrible. They do not reference the same names in the text as on the screen, and often use three or more names for the same thing. The steps are NOT illustrated in sequential detail, steps are missing. The text does NOT walk you through a process in a detailed manner appropriate for as complex a piece of software as HTH.

The conceptual operation is TOTALLY lacking. I have wasted HOURS playing with the HOME, TRIM, and calibration, and am still nowhere near being comfortable creating motion files that I know I will be able to use in the future, or especially on other MANOIs...

I knew the risk when I purchased under the educational/research conditions, and have NO COMPLAINT in that regard. ANYTHING that I have is more than I expected. Trossen's support has been excellent, and I have intentionally avoided engaging it whenever possible.

I offer these comments to help smooth the FUTURE of the Kyosho products in the US. Apparently KONDO has no concern, as they have been doing this a while and appear comfortable with the rote xlation. Kyosho has the chance to get a step ahead of the humanoid competitors and produce some truly decent documentation.