PDA

View Full Version : Trossen Robotics System Introduction is up !

Matt
01-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that there are two introductions up in the tutorial section. This is a little bit of a sneak peak into the open standards system that will be going into beta this spring.

Introduction to PC based Robotics
Introduction to The Trossen Robotics System (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/tutorialshome.aspx)

asbrandsson
01-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Hello,

When the system is up - does the programing provide a basic autonomous robot interface?

Asbrandsson

Matt
01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Asbrandsson,

What exactly do you mean by "basic autonomous robot interface" ?

MAtt

asbrandsson
01-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Hello,

I mean will it have speech, hearing, visual recognition, movement and status indication capabilities integrated into one interface?

Asbrandsson

Matt
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
In one interface, not really. The things you listed would be modular components to use in/with the system. Keep in mind, we aren't developing an interface or IDE. These are tools to use in the environment (language) of your choice. So the tools you need will be the ones you add to your project. Many of the things you listed will be available tools to use. We are working on a free speech recognition tool right now and with a 3rd party company creating a visual tool. There is also www.roborealm.com as a free set of vision tools. As the market evolves more and more modular components will become available and we are already working with many other companies.

The main point of the TRS and PC based robotics is to provide the ability for users to pick and choose the tools they need in their environment of choice :)

billblack
04-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Matt,
Am I correct that there are some similarities in overall concept between the TRC and Evolution Robotics' ESRP system? I have an ER1 and have been toying with the idea of using the software and controller on an Autonomous Surface Vessel project I have in mind, BUT I would rather not work with someone else's proprietary product. When/if I get a vehicle ready for commercial production I don't care to add another <insert an arbitrary large dollar amount here> to the cost. My field of interest is water-borne autonomous and telepresence vehicles and I really thought what I saw in the videos you posted looked promising. When are you going into Beta? Need a Beta-tester?
regards,
Bill Black
Sebastian, FL

Alex
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Sorry, but we don't have any experience with ER's ESRP system:(

What is the ESRP all about? Can you pluck out the tools that you need from the software and use them independently?

The TRS is exactly what Matt had said previously. It's basically a modular concept designed to free people from the confines of proprietary "all in one" software solutions for robotics.

Think of the TRS this way: when you're working on a vehicle, house, etc, you're not going to need every single one of your tools for the job that needs done right? So, there's no need to wheel over a 700lb toolbox to the area you're working. What you're probably going to do is take what you need out of the main toolbox, and place them onto a toolbelt. Think of the toolbelt as the TRS, a place to hook all of your tools (or vision, voice, motion, algorithm, etc. libraries) to, but without it, your tools are either all over the place, or you are stuck wheeling over the entire toolbox. You may not be getting all of the tools you need from us, but at least you'll have a place to hang the ones you need.

I hope that helps clear up some questions:D

Dennis David
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a few very basic questions.

How would I go about implementing TRS with my Bioloid robot?
What would be a good starter project?
Would this replace the current "operating system"?
How would/could they co-exist?

Alex
06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Dennis, welcome to the community!

The TRS is not ready for the public (or even beta testers) yet, so implementing it with a Bioloid is quite far away. I'm not quite sure what you mean by replacing the current OS, but think of the TRS as more of a toolset which in its first stages available to .NET developers. There won't be immediate support for other languages, because we will have to port the code over.

EDIT: How the Bioloid system and the TRS would work together is by creating a .NET wrapper class around the Bioloid C API. Once a .NET wrapper is created for the Bioloid API, it would be quite easy to develop an interface that would translate and communicate between the TRS and the Bioloid .NET wrapper.