PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Servo Control Board Programming

gameybeets
12-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Hello,

I got a hexapod robot from ebay, but the seller is not providing me the program/drivers to connect to the servo board. It came with PS2 controller and some very basic program already loaded on the board. I can move it with direction buttons (4 buttons on the PS2 controller), but that's about it. I would like to change and upload my own. I'm not sure where I should start from. It's a 20ch servo control board made by Lobot. I can't even find this thing online for purchase. Can someone let me know what's the best way to dive into this? I played with arduino before, but nothing like the servo control board. Any help is appreciated. Please see the picture of the board below.
http://i.imgur.com/QNvExUi.jpg?1

KurtEck
12-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Sorry I have never heard of that board so I have no clue. Maybe others do.

If it were me, I would probably try to get a different board(s) to drive it. For example a Lynxmotion (now Robotshop) SSC-32u servo controller and something to run your program on. Could be as simple as an Arduino (or Teensy) or as complex as a linux board such as a RPI...

Good Luck

jwatte
12-11-2016, 12:15 AM
The six-pin header in the top right quadrant looks a lot like an AVR in-circuit programmer header.
If that's true, you should be able to connect a ICSP ("bootloader programmer") and check which particular chip/CPU is on the board.
Additionally, you might be able to read back the installed firmware as a HEX file. You could go so far as to disassemble that into assembler, and look at what it's doing, depending on your level of reverse compiling skills :-)
You may need to unplug some servos to make the ICSP header actually work, as the servos may be loading the signals too much otherwise.
Also, the four pin connector below the power switch looks like a serial port header, so perhaps there's some chance of it running a bootloader and working with the Arduino IDE.

My guess would be that this board is actually an Arduino Uno or Leonardo compatible board. The numbers next to each servo header would then be the Arduino pin numbers for the output ports.
If that is the case, you should be able to drive the servos using the built-in Servo library in the Arduino IDE.