PDA

View Full Version : Power metering?

shobley
02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
It just occured to me that I should be monitoring the battery output on my robot. What would be the best solution for this problem?

Eventually I would like the robot to find it's way back to a power cradle...

Dave
02-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Well, with one of our 8/8/8 interface boards and a voltage sensor, you can easily monitor the battery voltage. With a voltage sensor and a current sensor, you can precicely track your bot's power consumption.

Voltage and Current Sensors! (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2673-Voltage-Current-Sensors.aspx)

shobley
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Hmmm...

OK so if I connect the V-meter across my battery and the I-meter in series on the the + line, would this:

A) Measure Voltage and current drain successfully and let me calculate power usage P=VI.

B) Explode and burn my house down, because I need additional load resistors/coupling capacitors/general widgets etc...

I have a 12V 18Ah battery - this stuff was so much less scary when I used AA cells...

Dave
02-06-2007, 02:31 PM
A) Yep. The Phidget voltage and current sensors are meant to be connected to a circuit just like a multimeter.
B) No. Our current sensors come in 20A and 50A flavors. If you're pulling more than 50A through that battery of yours, I think you'll have more troubles than just a hot current sensor. If it burns your house down, we'll send you a new current sensor free of charge ;)

Also, fearing your battery is counterproductive. Caution, on the other hand, is your most vital tool.