PDA

View Full Version : Pleo and Robonova

asbrandsson
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello,

I was doing some reading up on Pleo today, which I find an interesting toy. Could the same thing be done to a Robonova or Kondo Humaniod Robot?

Asbrandsson

Alex
02-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey Asbrandsson:D

What "thing" are you referring to?

asbrandsson
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Hello,

Pleo is a robot underneath a rubber skin. Under the skin is a bunch of sensors, with the only two missing being voice recognition and pattern recognition. Outside of Wowees monkey head it seems to be the kind of Robot that is less R2 and more animatronic. I am wondering if it would be hard to set up a KH1 or similiar humanoid Robot?

Asbrandsson

Dave
02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
You want to put a rubber suit on Robonova? I'm sure it's possible. I would suggest a tiny gorilla custume. That would be awesome. Or you could dress him in a zoot suit, but then you'd have to program him to dig old-school Harlem jazz.

[edit] I forgot to include some useful facts to offset my smartass reply. Robonova has 8 analog inputs, which gives it much more sensor potential than Manoi or the KHR series of robots. Lots of input is crucial to making a good autonomous bot. Input is nothing, however, unless you do something with it. Judging by the preliminary (and totally unofficial) specs for pleo, they may be using a complex multi-processor system for gathering, interpreting, and responding to sensor data.

Alex
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Actually at this point no one except UGobe knows for sure what is going to be in the Pleo. I wouldn't say that it won't have voice recognition though, because if you do a little searching online, you'll see some wicked videos of some nice voice recognition in the Pleo. Now, if that is going into the final product, who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

All that aside though, it's absolutely possible to Pleo'rise a humanoid like a RoboNova. You'll really have to research the construction of the Pleo and see what needs to be done to implement it yourself:)

Dave
02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I think we need to differentiate between voice recognition and sound reaction. Have any of the demo videos shown Pleo interpreting specific vocal commands, or just reacting to sound?

srobot
02-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Actually at this point no one except UGobe knows for sure what is going to be in the Pleo.

Actually, If you get UGOBEs news letter you can see what thay are changing on Pleo and puting on Pleo. I'm keeping every body up dated on what UGOBEs doing on RIBO-Labs. Here is a link to the lattest info:

http://ribolabs.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/an-email-from-caleb-brings-bad-news-pleo-delayedagain/

--Scotty

Dave
02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Newsletter or not, they're still being pretty vague.

Improving the speakers and adding more sounds
Adding a touch sensor under the chin
Making Pleo look and feel more life-like
This doesn't tell me much. I'm just saying, Alex's assertion is a valid one. We won't truly know the nature of this beast until it's released.

srobot
02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not trying to prove you wrong but here is a copy of the news letter:

http://ugobe.com/essay_contest/

--Scotty

Alex
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
What we're all trying to tell you Scotty is that UGobe has postponed the Pleo many times for upgrades/enhancement reasons and that it is safe to say that nobody (even newsletters from UGobe) can say for sure what is going to be in the final product. We all won't know until UGobe officially announces the final product for presale. Trust us with this one Scotty:)

It's great to hear that you are keeping everybody in the loop with the Pleo, but don't take what you read as 100% fact all the time. A little skepticism goes a long way in life.

srobot
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
What we're all trying to tell you Scotty is that UGobe has postponed the Pleo many times for upgrades/enhancement reasons and that it is safe to say that nobody (even newsletters from UGobe) can say for sure what is going to be in the final product. We all won't know until UGobe officially announces the final product for presale. Trust us with this one Scotty:)

It's great to hear that you are keeping everybody in the loop with the Pleo, but don't take what you read as 100% fact all the time. A little skepticism goes a long way in life.

Yes, I do think so too. All I was trying to do was to point out what UGOBE stated.

--Scotty

Alex
09-26-2007, 09:04 AM
awww! Rook's Pawn is feeding Pleo:robothappy:

BauerMECH
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
...As to conform to the possible illegality of that pic, I pulled the previous post. Soon though... soon...