PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Scorpion Mini

Dunham
03-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I am having a problem getting the Scorpion Mini to output any voltage other than zero to the maxon motor I am controlling. The + and - battery connections on the Scorpion Mini are wired to a 5V regulator and the PWM input signal line is wired to a r/c receiver with a separate receiver battery. I have verified that the r/c receiver is correctly sending the PWM signals to the Scorpion Mini and the Scorpion Mini is correctly receiving the 5V power supply. Additionally, the LEDs on the Scorpion Mini operate correctly when I move the stick on the r/c transmitter (i.e. the red LED is steady lit when I move the stick left and becomes brighter as the stick is moved farther left and the green LED operates the same when the r/c transmitter stick is moved to the right. Also, both LEDs are off when the stick is centered). The motor is a 5V motor and only pulls a maximum of 1.9 Amps when started. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Dave
03-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, you've already answered most of the tech support questions I would have asked you, but I've still got some general troubleshooting stuff for you to try, just to be sure. If you installed the screw terminal, try reflowing the solder on the header's pins to make sure you don't have any bad joints. For good measure, visually check the rest of the solder joints on the board to make sure there aren't any bridged pins on the microcontroller or the drive chip. Also verify that your motor works with another controller or a battery.

Dunham
03-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Well, I found out what the problem was. On each of the two Scorpion Mini boards I tested, the logic on the board seems to work fine at 5V (that is probably the reason the LEDs were working correctly). However the board does not supply any power to the motor until it has at least a 5.4V supply. I switched the power to a 6V regulator and the system works fine now. Thank you for the suggestions.