PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hardware/power question

sevenkev
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
After a few weeks of research I've ended up here with a few questions I can't quite figure out.

I'm new to this so please excuse the naivety of my questions!

My eventual goal is to build a small, autonomous robot using the 8/8/8 Interface. As a .NET programmer I plan on learning and prototyping with my desktop computer in a Windows XP environment, then move to a computing platform that can be powered by batteries.

What kind of hardware might that be? I see lots of cool stuff at the recomended www.logicsupply.com (http://www.logicsupply.com) site, but is it possible to run these boards for a few hours on batteries? How? What hardware would be recommended for this? PDA's with USB host support?

I also understand that phidgets now have the drivers to interface with Windows CE. Cool! What type of hardware/power would be recommeded for a battery powered computer running CE?

Any help or advice would be welcomed!! Are there any other questions I should be asking? Thanks!

Dave
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, we have a SolidLogic 3688 Mini-ITX from Logic Supply, and it runs for about 4 hours on a 12 Amp-hour battery.

Needless to say, a smaller device like a PDA would use significantly less power.