PDA

View Full Version : TRC and ESRP similar?

billblack
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Matt,
Am I correct that there are some similarities in overall concept between the TRC and Evolution Robotics' ESRP system? I have an ER1 and have been toying with the idea of using the software and controller on an Autonomous Surface Vessel project I have in mind, BUT I would rather not work with someone else's proprietary product. With Evolution a seat on their software is upwards of 7500 USD and the one time I spoke to them aboout licensing they were talking about $200-300USD per unit. When/if I get a vehicle ready for commercial production I don't care to add another <insert an arbitrary large dollar amount here> to the cost. My field of interest is water-borne autonomous and telepresence vehicles and I really thought what I saw in the videos you posted looked promising.
Can you tell us more about what the interface will be like?
When are you going into Beta?
Need a Beta-tester?
regards,
Bill Black
Sebastian, FL
Roseland, FL
The closest I will ever be to weightless and free is suited up in dive gear flying over a reef in clear blue water.

Alex
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry, but we don't have any experience with ER's ESRP system:(

What is the ESRP all about? Can you pluck out the tools that you need from the software and use them independently?

The TRS is exactly what Matt had said previously. It's basically a modular concept designed to free people from the confines of proprietary "all in one" software solutions for robotics.

Think of the TRS this way: when you're working on a vehicle, house, etc, you're not going to need every single one of your tools for the job that needs done right? So, there's no need to wheel over a 700lb toolbox to the area you're working. What you're probably going to do is take what you need out of the main toolbox, and place them onto a toolbelt. Think of the toolbelt as the TRS, a place to hook all of your tools (or vision, voice, motion, algorithm, etc. libraries) to, but without it, your tools are either all over the place, or you are stuck wheeling over the entire toolbox. You may not be getting all of the tools you need from us, but at least you'll have a place to hang the ones you need.

I hope that helps clear up some questions:D