PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

BrentAhh
04-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi....:)

I need urgent help,:confused: I have a big train layout, now this layout could use some lighting, Thats where i thought LEDs would be the best.

I need to hook up as many LEDs to my wall socket, cause using battries just aint going to work with me, Does anyone know wat I need and how to wire it up.

The power output on my wall socket is 220 volts.........thats all I know.

Thanks In Advance:cool:

Alex
04-25-2007, 09:14 AM
You want to hook LED's up to a wall outlet? Do you have these LED's already? If so, what are the voltage and amp ratings on them?

All that aside, what intensity of light are you looking for? Are you looking at light that is more for show, or more for you to be able to see everything better? Reason I asked is because we have an LED64 (controls up to 64 LED's) that hooks up to a computer via USB, but they don't emit a ton of light, and would be more for something like show lights along your railroad track. It's a pretty sweet board though, because you can individually control the intensity of each individual LED:D

You can check out the LED64 here:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2732-LED-Controller-Boards.aspx

BrentAhh
04-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Yes does it sound like death?

Amp rating is 20MaH
and 6 volts on them......

So how big does my resistor have to be..?

Ive Already looked At the LED64, its awsome....very intresting.....buuuut the budget that I have......yaaaa.

So whats the plan?

Alex
04-27-2007, 08:37 AM
wow! Yes, you definitely need some sort of control device if you want to use a standard outlet. That's waaay too much juice for LED's.

I'd really suggest using the LED64 (if you have a little bit of programming experience of course). Not only is it perfect for your project so long as you have the ability to keep it connected to a PC, but also the only time spent is building the simple application for it and connecting the wires to the LEDs.

The alternate route involves hardware/electrical knowledge (which I don't possess:)). Hopefully Dave might be able to shed some light on this topic.

Dave
04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
What's your level of electronics expertise? You can you can build a simple LED lighting circuit with parts from Radio Shack, for relatively little cash, if you have a basic working knowledge of electronics.

Edit: A quick google search revealed this page, which describes some basic circuits for driving LED's.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting_leds.html