PDA

View Full Version : RC Brushless ESC and Robot Microcontrollers

xemone
05-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm really new in Robotics and I have a question regarding RC ESC and robot microcontrollers (like the one inside the Robonova). How do I control a regular brushless RC ESC from a microcontroller board. Do I siply plug the RC leads into the RC Servo ports and treat it like a normal servo or is there something else that needs to be done? I need precise control of the brushless motors (5 of them actually) 'cuz I'll be using them in 5 EDF units. I'd really appreciate any advice and help anyone has.

This link (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2664-Motor-Servo-Controllers.aspx) shows how to control brushed DC motors with a servo controller and a brushed RC motor controller, but it doesn't show how to control a brushless one. I know brushless DC motors communicate with controllers in a different way, so I'm a little hesitant to try this way.

Thanks.

Dave
05-15-2007, 11:13 AM
If your brushless motor controller is made to be used with a standard RC receiver, then any servo control signal source will work. Dedicated servo controller boards, RC receivers, and most robot controllers output the same control signals.

xemone
05-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reply dave. I appreciate it.

I need to control an EDF motor; can I plug RC ESC leads into free servo ports on the Robonova-I MR-C3024 controller board and have precise control over the motor speed? It seems as though the MR-C3024 might use a different servo signal. Is this possible?
Also, can I use different servos (Hitec, or maybe Futaba) with the MR-C3024?

Dave
06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Very interesting question. I'm looking into it. What are you planning to do, mount a jet engine on your 'Nova?

Dave
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Good news. Turns out the servo outputs are standard PWM, so you can control hobby servos or speed controllers. Have fun!

xemone
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Very interesting question. I'm looking into it. What are you planning to do, mount a jet engine on your 'Nova?

Yeah, actually dave. I want to mount two small Electric ducted fan units on 'nova back and control thrust direction with an additional 2 micro servos on each EDF; total of 6 servo ports used. Since the robonova uses only 16 servos and the microcontroller board has 24 ports, I'll even have 2 free ports.

A flying Robonova!! Cool, uh?!

Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Dave
06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Let us know how it turns out!