Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DynaManager Not Finding Servos

Re: DynaManager Not Finding Servos

Don't see anything obvious in the photo. Looks like jumpers are in place.

The other minor things I would try include, try a few different servo cables, likewise a few different servos and try all of the Servo connections on the board... i.e. try to eliminate cases of bad cables or servos or maybe connection on the board.

If it were me, I would connect up logic analyzer to the data pin going to the servos to make sure the signal and packets look correct.

And likewise I would probably try a different Servo controller, like an USB2AX and if it failed to talk to the servos, I would then try to do a servo firmware recovery to see if that helps (Using the tools from Robotis).

Beyond that...

I've tried both Servos and cables, same result.

I don't have a logic analyzer, what do you recommend? Would a volt meter work?

As for Logic Analyzers, I have a few by: https://www.saleae.com/
    Any of them will do, but the Pro is nice for higher speeds... Probably not easy to use volt meter.
    Now if you had a Teensy 3.2/3.5 sitting around could rig up poor man analyzer...

What is your current hardware/software configuration? Maybe in previous posts, but windows/linux/mac?
    Which IDE are you running? What libraries are you using?

Do you have any other boards for driving the servos, like USB2AX or USB2Dynamixel or ...
    Or longer shot, Could rig up test platform if you have some other Arduinos like maybe Mega? Maybe Leonardo...?

Also with your current setup, you verified 12v going to board. Try measuring the voltage at the servo. Is it 12v? You may need to look at AX servo manual to know which pins.

From post 8 in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    I bought this kit and am using the 12V power supply that was supplied with the kit:
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/pha...ot-turret.aspx
    The AC Adapter tests out at 12.1VDC

The servos I have are AX-12A and when I plug the ArbotiX-M board in, I see a red LED blink once on the servo. I only have one plugged in at a time, and I have tried all 3 plugs on the board.

Followed both of these tutorials:
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/arb...tool#&panel1-7
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/pro...6-x-setup.html

I have tried both 1.0.6 and 1.8.4 of the Arduino IDE. Both versions connect and compile the code, and upload/execute the blinking LED test sketch. So I am confident it isn't a communication issue with the Arbotix-M board.

I can communicate with the ArbotiX-M board with the dynaManager application (After loading the ROS sketchbook), but it never finds a servo connected from a scan.

I tried your code as well and got the same result; no servos detected.

Let me know if I missed any info you might need.

Hi Robie,

Yes I saw your earlier posts, that said I tried this and tried that, what I was trying to ask is What is your current setup.
    Do you still have a setup for the 1.84? And what is your current Arbotix libraries (Interbotix? Mine?)

Why I am asking is if I go into my cabinet and find an Arbotix board, How far off would you be if I tried using my own stuff again?

Also again did you measure voltage at servos... Probably OK, Asking if you had a powered AX HUB, like:
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/6-port-ax-mx-power-hub

If so you could try plugging the 12v wall wart into it and use AX servo cable to connect to Arbotix board, which powers it... Lots of kits are wired this way...

Asked about other Arduino boards like a mega. Because if you have one, you could rig up testing to see if that works. You can do this by: powering this board separate and rig up a cable from the Mega board to the HUB. Usually I put in a resistor to limit current to give a little more protection to the board. But what you can do is take a spare Servo cable. I cut one in half. such that I have a connector that can connect into AX hub above, Remove the power wire (you want to power the Arduino with it's own power, connect the GND wire to a GND on the Arduino (need common ground), and setup the signal wire, to connect up to both the RX and TX pins of one of the Serial ports on the Mega like Pins 18, 19? for Serial1 (Again been awhile so would need to confirm pins)... Then with my code base you can use the BioloidSerial, where you pass in which Serial port you are using and it should hopefully work.... I have not done this in awhile now as I mostly use Teensy boards, but...

If I am really needing to do support for example on the Phoenix code base for AVR based boards, I prefer doing it this way versus the Arbotix-M as you then have the ability to put the XBee on a different Serial port and still have the USB serial setup for debug input/output... But sort of off topic.

Update: I dragged out an Arbotix-M board...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arbotix-M.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	7077
    Which I have a few extra things with it. In particular, I have the AVR ISP programmer that Trossen sells (or sold), so I don't have to plug/unplug XBee and other reasons (including this board currently does not have a bootloader). Plus the FTDI cable, plus I have a small buzzer connected to an IO port, and I have a resistor divider setup from VIN to GND to one of the Analog pins, so I can find out current voltage without having to ask servos....

Was going to try to set up everything semi fresh with arduino 1.8.4 and try to use the install of the Arbotix stuff from Tician, which is mentioned in the thread:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...5680#post75680

I renamed my Arduino/Hardware folder so it did not find the Arbotix stuff. I then edited the preferences to include pointing to Tician's setup... (Wish Trossen would adopt and support). But found that the programmer.txt I don't believe has this programmer (AVR ISP MK II (Serial). I edited it in, but programmer was not happy. Maybe needs some driver or like on MAC?

Anyway went back to my main dev machine and downloaded my AX12_Test program using the programmer, than opened up Arduino Monitor and it did not find the servo... Found my version of the test had new stuff not up on github where it assumed Teensy board (either 3.6 or 3.2) and it assumed there is a direction pin to switch from RX to TX... So I #ifdef that under KINETISK which should only work for T3.x boards... And I then rebuilt and downloaded and ran and it found a servo. I was able to get the registers from the servo and tell it to move to position 500...

Here shows the quick run.
    Code:
    System Voltage in 10ths: 65535
    0 - All Servos off
    1 - All Servos center
    2 - Set Servo position [<Servo>] <Position> [<Speed>]
    3 - Set Servo Angle
    4 - Get Servo Positions
    5 - Find All Servos
    6 - Set Servo return delay time
    8 - Set ID: <old> <new>
    9 - Print Servo Values
    t - Toggle track Servos
    h - hold [<sn>]
    f - free [<sn>]
    :
    Cmd: 9 1
    0:FFFF 1:FFFF 2:FFFF 3:FFFF 4:FFFF 5:FFFF 6:FFFF 7:FFFF 8:FFFF 9:FFFF 
    10:FFFF 11:FFFF 12:FFFF 13:FFFF 14:FFFF 15:FFFF 16:FFFF 17:FFFF 18:FFFF 19:FFFF 
    20:FFFF 21:FFFF 22:FFFF 23:FFFF 24:FFFF 25:FFFF 26:FFFF 27:FFFF 28:FFFF 29:FFFF 
    30:FFFF 31:FFFF 32:FFFF 33:FFFF 34:FFFF 35:FFFF 36:FFFF 37:FFFF 38:FFFF 39:FFFF 
    40:FFFF 41:FFFF 42:FFFF 43:FFFF 44:FFFF 45:FFFF 46:FFFF 47:FFFF 48:FFFF 49:FFFF 
    0 - All Servos off
    1 - All Servos center
    3 - Set Servo Angle
    4 - Get Servo Positions
    5 - Find All Servos
    9 - Print Servo Values
    t - Toggle track Servos
    h - hold [<sn>]
    f - free [<sn>]
    :
    Cmd: 5
    Begin: 
    10 - 299
    Done
    0 - All Servos off
    1 - All Servos center
    3 - Set Servo Angle
    4 - Get Servo Positions
    5 - Find All Servos
    9 - Print Servo Values
    t - Toggle track Servos
    h - hold [<sn>]
    f - free [<sn>]
    :
    Cmd: 9 10
    0:C 1:0 2:18 3:A 4:1 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:FF 9:3 
    10:84 11:46 12:3C 13:8C 14:FF 15:3 16:2 17:24 18:24 19:0 
    20:2D 21:0 22:C9 23:3 24:0 25:0 26:1 27:1 28:20 29:20 
    30:2B 31:1 32:0 33:0 34:FF 35:3 36:2B 37:1 38:0 39:0 
    40:0 41:0 42:7B 43:20 44:0 45:0 46:0 47:0 48:20 49:0 
    0 - All Servos off
    1 - All Servos center
    3 - Set Servo Angle
    4 - Get Servo Positions
    5 - Find All Servos
    9 - Print Servo Values
    t - Toggle track Servos
    h - hold [<sn>]
    f - free [<sn>]
    :
    Cmd: 2 10 500
    Set Servo Position
     ID: 10 500
    0 - All Servos off
    1 - All Servos center
    3 - Set Servo Angle
    4 - Get Servo Positions
    5 - Find All Servos
    9 - Print Servo Values
    t - Toggle track Servos
    h - hold [<sn>]
    f - free [<sn>]
    I pushed this version of AX12_test up to github.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    Hi Robie,

Yes I saw your earlier posts, that said I tried this and tried that, what I was trying to ask is What is your current setup.
    Do you still have a setup for the 1.84? And what is your current Arbotix libraries (Interbotix? Mine?)
    I'm still using the 1.8.4 version.
    The ArbotiX libraries I'm using are from the 1.6 setup page here:
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/pro...6-x-setup.html

Why I am asking is if I go into my cabinet and find an Arbotix board, How far off would you be if I tried using my own stuff again?
    I don't understand what you mean with this.

Also again did you measure voltage at servos... Probably OK, Asking if you had a powered AX HUB, like:
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/6-port-ax-mx-power-hub

If so you could try plugging the 12v wall wart into it and use AX servo cable to connect to Arbotix board, which powers it... Lots of kits are wired this way...
    I measured the voltage at the servo and it is 12.1VDC. When I unplug/plug the cable into the servo, a red LED blinks once.

Asked about other Arduino boards like a mega. Because if you have one, you could rig up testing to see if that works. You can do this by: powering this board separate and rig up a cable from the Mega board to the HUB. Usually I put in a resistor to limit current to give a little more protection to the board. But what you can do is take a spare Servo cable. I cut one in half. such that I have a connector that can connect into AX hub above, Remove the power wire (you want to power the Arduino with it's own power, connect the GND wire to a GND on the Arduino (need common ground), and setup the signal wire, to connect up to both the RX and TX pins of one of the Serial ports on the Mega like Pins 18, 19? for Serial1 (Again been awhile so would need to confirm pins)... Then with my code base you can use the BioloidSerial, where you pass in which Serial port you are using and it should hopefully work.... I have not done this in awhile now as I mostly use Teensy boards, but...
    I don't have any other boards, just the ArbotiX-M board.

If I am really needing to do support for example on the Phoenix code base for AVR based boards, I prefer doing it this way versus the Arbotix-M as you then have the ability to put the XBee on a different Serial port and still have the USB serial setup for debug input/output... But sort of off topic.
    I don't have an XBee either.

As a side note, I uninstalled/reinstalled the Arduino 1.8.4 and went through the documentation again, I noticed that instead of using the Sketchbook area, it says to use a new location:

Name:	sketch-examples.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	7078

So I did that. the LED blink test works fine.
    I tried the new AXSimpleTest and get the following error:

Name:	MXSimpleTest-instructions.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	7079

Name:	AXSimpletest-error.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	7080
    This is a new error as I don't get that error (that dxlInit is not in the old code either) if I choose the File>>Sketchbook>>ArbotiX Sketches>>Test Sketches>>AXSimpleTest:

Name:	AXSimpletest-sketchbook-error.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	7081

I'll try your second post suggestion now and will report back with what I find. Thanks for everything, I feel like I am making progress with your suggestions.

I believe that Kyle renamed many of the functions that were part of the library to not make them sound AX servo specific.

So what used to be ax12Init is now something like dxlInit...

I have not updated to this with my code as was waiting for Trossen to release a version, which never happened.

Their stuff has not been updated since their first Beta posting.

Lookinag at you Arbotix-M, all I can say is my jumper is the other way round, as in the guide, and I am using Arduino 1.0.6.

Since you can download the it and run without any installation, it's worth trying again from a clean download. This setup works for me fine, with a new Arbotix-M and AX-12A, and running the AXSimpleTest example (using a Sparkfun FT232RL USB-to-Serial, and either the Bioloid's 12V pack, or a 12V bench top supply).

Hope you get to the bottom of this!

Thread Information