Trossen Hexapod  Top Banner

Thread: Vex + The 4th = Cool?

Vex + The 4th = Cool?

OK, here is what I'll be working on in the next few days.

A Vex Robotics controlled, firework show!

I will use the 16 sensor posts, hooked up to Estes rocket "motor-starter-burner-things", to light the fireworks. I'm in WI, USA so I can buy as much fireworks as I want (or untill I have no more money ).

I'll try to take a video, but it all may go to fast.

If any body has any ideas, or thinks this is a good idea (or stuped), let me know.

--srobot

BTW - You can see more on my blog http://ribolabs.wordpress.com/2007/0...h-robot-style/
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

Images

Re: Vex + The 4th = Cool?

Sounds like a pretty cool idea! Have someone shoot some video of it!!

Obviously, kinda goes without saying, but be careful.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Obviously, kinda goes without saying, but be careful.
    Of course I will, I want to be able to say about it!

--srobot
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

4. Trossen Force Sensor  Thread Banner
  5. Re: Vex + The 4th = Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by srobot View Post
    "motor-starter-burner-things"
    Igniters. BTW, you can save money by making your own with a some [*** Details removed. I got yelled at for trying to teach a man to fish. ***]

[edit] Almost forgot to add that I think your project is definitely a cool one and that you should post pics/videos if possible. Pics of the control/ignition rig, not just the pretty explosions.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-25-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    BTW, you can save money by making your own with a some [*** Details removed. I got yelled at for trying to teach a man to fish. ***]
    Thanks!

I Just to make sure I have this strait, you tuch the wire to the steel wool, put a match head on the steel wool, and dip the whole thing lightly in epoxy? And do I use the burnable type of epoxy?

I will take plenty of pictures, and maybe a video at about dusk for you can see it all.

--Scotty

PS - Come up to the North woods if you want to see it, about a 6 -7 hour drive for you.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.

7. Re: Vex + The 4th = Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by srobot View Post
    I Just to make sure I have this strait, you tuch the wire to the steel wool, put a match head on the steel wool, and dip the whole thing lightly in epoxy? And do I use the burnable type of epoxy?
    Sorry Scotty, you're way off. For liability reasons I'm going to tell you to buy only commercially produced igniters and please try not to blow your face off.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-25-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sorry Scotty, you're way off. For liability reasons I'm going to tell you to buy only commercially produced igniters and please try not to blow your face off.
    I will not hold any body to any thing, so no worrys Trossen Robotics.

It's ok Dave, I under stand.

I will stay safe.

Thanks for all of your help.

--Scotty
    Last edited by srobot; 06-28-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Ok, once I'm done with this project, may I post how I did it here with a disclamer, and not say who told me what, etc? Or should I say how on my website and say nothing about Trossen Robotics in any way? If I do not get a reply by the time I am done, I will post it on my website, and post a link here to it.

Thanks,
    --Scotty Rippel

OK, this is an old thread, but...
    In the interest of safety, and reproducible results, and ease of use...
    Is there anything fundamentally wrong with using off-the-shelf hobby-rocket igniters? Not sure how they work, but they do work reliably. For me, adapting an existing product that works well is always a first choice.

11. Re: Vex + The 4th = Cool?

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with using off-the-shelf hobby-rocket igniters?
    Nothin wrong with that at all.

Thread Information