Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interface Kit memory leaks?

1. Interface Kit memory leaks?

I am running the VB6 source code for the 8/8/8 interface kit. It runs for about 2-3 days before the memory consumption brings the machine down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
    Vaughn

Images

Re: Interface Kit memory leaks?

I haven't heard of any memory leaks with Phidgets before, but then again I haven't heard of anyone running a VB6 Phidgets project before (EDIT: Sorry, I meant running a VB6 Project for that long) I've built many Phidgets projects using VB.NET 2003, VB.NET 2005 and C# 2005, all of which I've had running for around 8-10hrs max.

Are you using your own code, or a non-modified example program from Phidgets? Also, what are the specs of your computer?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: Interface Kit memory leaks?

I am using a modified version of the code. Since I run my house off of it, to test the unmodified version, it will gimp my house. I will do that though so I can properly identify the problem, just explaining why it has taken me so long =)

I really hope that it is something minor because 8-10 hours is an irrelevantly short period of time for applications like home automation. I would hope that the app would remain stable for 30 days +.

I hope to get that testing done this week. If you all have a test machine machine, it might be nice to just start your sample apps and let them run in your controlled environment and see how long they last. I sure hope it is not a problem in the Library itself!

Thanks!
    Vaughn
    www.vCrib.com

Images

Sounds good Vaughn, keep us posted. Phidgets is also looking into this as well.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

5. Re: Interface Kit memory leaks?

You guys are cool. I wish I would have joined this community when I first started working with your products. =)

Vaughn

Images

Find anything out Vaughn? I haven't heard back from Phidgets yet.

- Charles Darwin

7. Re: Interface Kit memory leaks?

Last night I shut down my version and started the unmodified version and recorded size and time. I will check it again tonight (24-hour test) and see. I really can't afford to leave those sensors offline too long, so I hope 24-hours will yeild some usuable results.

Were you guys able to run the interface_controller.exe there for any length of time?

Vaughn

8. Re: Interface Kit memory leaks?

Hello Vaughn,

I'll set up a test and leave it running over the weekend.

Chester Fitchett
    Phidgets Inc.

Images

Hey Vaughn,

I'm going to compile the latest intefacekit-Controller.vpb file from Phidgets.com into an .exe and run it from now till tomorrow afternoon. I'll get back to you with memory consumption on a per hour basis (except for overnight).

- Charles Darwin

Images

Hey Vaughn,

I'm going to be gone tomorrow and over the weekend, but I'll leave it running the entire time. Hopefully we don't get a power outage or anything.

Anyways, here are my results of running the latest interfacekit_controller.exe downloaded from Phidgets.com (using library version 2.1.1.0) since 1:28pm on 8/22. I haven't modified the program in any way, and am manually taking readings of a memory usage monitor every so often.

8/22

1:28pm (startup) - 6.48MB
    2:54pm - 2.60MB
    4:34pm - 2.29MB

8/23
    8:14am - 3.03MB (this is when I woke my computer up from sleep)
    9:22am - 2.05MB
    10:31am - 2.06MB

Somewhere here, I accidentally unplugged the USB and had it unplugged for a while, but still had the application running. I plugged the USB back in a few minutes before the time below, waited a few moments and recorded the time and memory.

1:36pm - 2.59MB
    2:46pm - 3.54MB
    3:16pm - 3.55MB

Like I said, I'll be away from my desk tomorrow and over the weekend, so the next check will be Monday when I return. When I return, I'll edit this post with the updates.

I hope at least some of this data helps you out.

- Charles Darwin

Thread Information