Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WowWee Chimp Head

1. WowWee Chimp Head

I can say I am not really looking for a Chimp head, but I want an animatronic head to announce Home Automation messages. Custom projects are Thousands of $$ by the time you are done. If just you could hack into the wiring of a head like the Chimp and use an 8/8/8 to read his sensors and a servo controller to take over his movements. Then just jack into his speaker for the HA voice.

Worst case I guess you could hack into the radio controller, but I wish there was some that would be easier for a DIY project so others could do it to. Anyone play with this Chimp or know of projects hacking it?

I would put out $300-400 for a head like that... I have to say I wish there was another project besides the Chimp though, as my roommates have expressed how freaked out they are just by the chimps videos and they don't want him in the house. =) That wouldn't stop me though, if I knew he would work...

Vaughn

Images

Re: WowWee Chimp Head

LOL, we love the Wowwee Chimp Head! He IS super freaky. In fact, we have a secret Halloween video we plan on making with the chimp head. There is also the Elvis head from Wowwee, we don't stock it, but we could if you asked us to.

We tore apart a chimp head the moment they arrived. The whole head is driven by clutched DC motors so it is hackable. If you decided to build a hacking tutorial that we could post here on the site we would refund you the cost of the head. We think the info should be out there and we are game for shelling out a few dead presidents to help the cause.

There should be a whole community of people hacking the heads, adding voice recognition, text to voice, AI chatbot backends, motion sensors, etc. There is a whole world of fun for this area!

3. Re: WowWee Chimp Head

Well, I am not that good at electronics. I would gladly customize my VR, TTS, Webcam & Phidget code for him, but I don't know anything about motors or electronics though. I may still try it anyways, but if someone with electronics experience wants to get involved in this project with me, we would stand a better chance.

I will keep an eye on the hacking sites too, would be nice if someone else does the footwork =)

Vaughn

Images

I think the Phidget Motor controller would control the motors in the chimp head just fine. You know how to code to the Phidgets of course. Just some experimenting with the controller and the motors to get it right I imagine. I hear you though, having an electronics guy around would help.

I've always wanted to see someone use an internet chatbot to animate a head. It would work like this:

>>Human speaks
    >>computer turns speech into text
    >>text is sent to online chatbot
    >>chatbot replies in text via web
    >>text is output as speech
    >>animatronics programs animate a robot head (or chimp head )
    Last edited by Matt; 09-14-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    LOL, we love the Wowwee Chimp Head! He IS super freaky. In fact, we have a secret Halloween video we plan on making with the chimp head. There is also the Elvis head from Wowwee, we don't stock it, but we could if you asked us to.

We tore apart a chimp head the moment they arrived. The whole head is driven by clutched DC motors so it is hackable. If you decided to build a hacking tutorial that we could post here on the site we would refund you the cost of the head. We think the info should be out there and we are game for shelling out a few dead presidents to help the cause.

There should be a whole community of people hacking the heads, adding voice recognition, text to voice, AI chatbot backends, motion sensors, etc. There is a whole world of fun for this area!
    That Elvis head is awesome!! I'm a big Elvis fan so I am definitely getting one of those..lol

6. Re: WowWee Chimp Head

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I can't let a Wow Wee chimp thread die without posting this:

Go Roomba chimp! Get those bananas!

Hi there,
    Has anyone hacked into Wowwee Chimapzee Head? At the moment I an a bit wary of opening the Head up for exploration in case I may destroy it. May be an Idea to X-ray it?

I'd love some details. I am aiming to connect the Head to a PC for control and using the Sensor data.

Any Info appreciated

BonzaDog

Images

I'd think that x-raying the head, although really freakin cool, is a bit of overkill! If you're planning on controlling it using anything other than the remote that it comes with, you'll need to open it up anyway to understand how to interact with everything. I don't think it'll be too bad, just be careful.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Date. 2.Nov.2009
    Hello all Chinp Head Fans,
    well, we are about to hack into the head (so we need to open it up) and find the Sensore and Motor control lines. We then connect these lines into a microcontroller (located in a platform under the head) use the MC to pass data to a connected PC (planned is firstl is the ole RS232 - the main consideration is the lenght of the PC.Microcontroller cable). So we will need to do a lot of measurment of the motor control and Sensor
    levels in the opened + unmodified head first.

We will be using some of Trossens components for some of this!.

The expected start date would be about the 20.11.2009. If your are interested in progress or want to offer any advice then send a Message/Email to me.

Wish us luck!

BonzaDog

Continuing the Chimp head thread...

Any one have experience using this type of encoder? How would it be used to monitor a small dc motor driving a limited range armature (used in the chimp animatronics)?

What I plan to do is hijack the mouth movement so as to be able to synch it to speech from a PC (that can then be dynamically updated with headlines, twitter feed, etc.).

Any thought and experience?

Additionally info:

Main circuit board with encoder wires and motor power lines.

27 MHz receiver (for included chimp remote control):
    Any way to figure out a way to hijack this? Is this just PWM? Three wires...

Thread Information