Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

1. USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

__________________________________________________ _____________
    UPDATE: For more information on the status of this project visit us at:
    www.geekwithfire.com
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My simple little project seems to pale in comparison to most of the folks work here, but here goes:

Project:
    Automatically regulate the temperature on my BBQ smoker by constantly reading the internal pit temperature and making necessary adjustments to the damper; thereby increasing or reducing the inflow of air to fuel the charcoal/wood mix.

Details:
    I/O: Phidgets 8/8/8
    Inputs: Standard Meat Probe Thermistor
    Outputs: Phidgets Servo controller, Futaba Servo
    Software: Custom VB.NET application

Software Process:
    Thermistor generates resistance with temperature change. Temperature change is converted into voltage drop. Voltage drop is converted to temperature (via a calibrated lookup table in a database). Temperature is bounced off of a PID loop every seconds which makes needed adjustments to the servo position.

Benefits:
    I am now able to sleep at night while my smoker is going on those long cooks (sometimes cooks up to 2o hours). As long as I keep fuel in it, it maintains temperature perfectly. If for some reason the temperature exceeds the adjustable threshold, an audible alarm will sound, notifying the operator of a required intervention. In addition, and not shown on the version of the video, I am able to set the desired temperature of the particular meat I am smoking. When the desired temperature is reached, the smoker shuts down, to avoid burning my dinner!

In addition to controlling the smoker, I also capture data points every 20 seconds so as to chart the accuracy of a long smoke (see the attached image; one of my original tests, that does have some large variations in temperature).

http://www.jegreer.com/images/forum/SM/temp1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgG6cYH72lo

Thank you for your consideration,

Josh Greer
    www.geekwithfire.com
    Last edited by elcray; 08-27-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed youtube video

Images

Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

That's a pretty sweet project Josh! It's simple in concept sure, but it fills an interesting niche. Great work! How much you selling these for

Thanks for the submission!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Nice. If it allows you to cook a brisket without putting your life on hold for a day, I'm all for it. Just out of curiosity, what kind of smoker do you have?

4. Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Alex:
    I haven't settled on a price yet. All depends on if I ever quit tinkering with it! Right now I'm adding a "logical rules" process so the user can establish a logical cooking process based on feedback from various inputs. At the same time, I'm coding around the concept of controlling multiple smokers within the same instance of the program. With that said, I would love to be able to program around an unknown amount of phidget devices, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Yet, I plug away.

Dave:
    The smoker is a Chargriller Pro, with the Side Fire Box; typically full of Royal Oak lump charcoal and 1 year old seasoned apple chunks from my personal orchard.

All:
    Thanks for the comments.

Josh

Images

Talking Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Quote Originally Posted by elcray View Post
    Alex:
    All depends on if I ever quit tinkering with it! [...] I would love to be able to program around an unknown amount of phidget devices, but I just can't seem to figure it out.
    I hear ya about tinkering! I'm always trying to perfect the applications that I build

About the "unknown amount of phidget devices"; I see that you are using VB.NET. Is this perhaps VB.NET 2005, or even VB.NET 2005 Express Edition? The reason why I ask is that I was working on what I called "Dynamic Phidgets" in C# 2005 a while back which used what are called Generics which are unique to Visual Studio 2005 and 2005 Express Edition.

The purpose of "Dynamic Phidgets" was to ignore how many Phidgets were connected to a single machine, and just keep storing them in a Generic Collection as they are attached and removing them when they were detached. Then, I can do what I want with them while they are active in the application I built.

Generics are incredibly powerful, and if you are not familar with them, I highly recommend on reading up on them here, here and here. There are a ton of other examples, but this will help you get started in understanding them if you don't already. Sorry, but these are all C#, but if you understand VB.NET, you understand C#. All of the concepts are the same, the only difference is syntax.

Basically what I did to create Dynamic Phidgets is create a Generic Dictionary Phidget object with the key of the Dictionary being a long variable which will be the serial number of each Phidget:

Code:
    private Dictionary<long, Phidgets.Phidget> phidgetDictionary = new Dictionary<long, Phidgets.Phidget>();
    Then, I created a new Phidget Manager object, and intialized it:

Code:
    private void InitializePhidgetManager()
            {
                PM = new Phidgets.Manager();
                PM.Attach += new Phidgets.Events.AttachEventHandler(PM_Attach);
                PM.Detach += new Phidgets.Events.DetachEventHandler(PM_Detach);
                PM.Error += new Phidgets.Events.ErrorEventHandler(PM_Error);
                PM.open();
            }
    The Phidget Manager object was necessary because you never know what type of Phidget a user connects to the computer and you need to account for this

Finally, I hooked the Attach and Detach events of the Phidget manager and ran checks to see if they existed in the Generic Dictionary Class. If they did/didn't I added/removed them respectively:

Code:
    void PM_Detach(object sender, Phidgets.Events.DetachEventArgs e)
            {
                if (phidgetDictionary.ContainsKey(e.Device.SerialNumber))
                {
                    phidgetDictionary.Remove(e.Device.SerialNumber);
                    EventLogger.LogEvent("Object Deleted from Dictionary:" + e.Device.GetType().ToString() +
                        " Serial Number:" + e.Device.SerialNumber);                
                }  
            }

void PM_Attach(object sender, Phidgets.Events.AttachEventArgs e)
            {
                if (!phidgetDictionary.ContainsKey(e.Device.SerialNumber))
                {
                    phidgetDictionary.Add(e.Device.SerialNumber, e.Device);
                    EventLogger.LogEvent("Object created and added to Dictionary for:" + e.Device.GetType().ToString() +
                        " Serial Number:" + e.Device.SerialNumber);

e.Device.open();

e.Device.waitForAttachment(500); 

}            
            }
    NOTE: I worked with Phidgets to get the e.Device returned as the actual object itself that it found. This way, you can run a check on the Type of Phidget object that was found and do what you need to with it

This will allow you to ignore the fact of how many Phidgets get connected to the computer. Then, you can simply roll through the Dictionary to find the Phidget objects you have added and do what you need to with them!

I hope all this made sense. Let me know if you have any questions
    Last edited by Alex; 09-17-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarification

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

6. Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Basically what I did to create Dynamic Phidgets[....clipped....]
    I hope all this made sense. Let me know if you have any questions
    Thanks Alex for all of the information. I'll read up on the 3 sites you mentioned and give it a shot.

Thanks again,

Josh

Images

No problem, good luck!

I had a little bit of a hard time wrapping my head around Generics at first, so don't hesitate to give me a shout if needed. Please keep these sort of questions though via email.

- Charles Darwin

8. Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    No problem, good luck!

I had a little bit of a hard time wrapping my head around Generics at first, so don't hesitate to give me a shout if needed. Please keep these sort of questions though via email.
    It's been a while since I've posted, but wanted to write an update on the status of my project; namely the process of adding an unlimited number of phidgets to a project at runtime. I read up on the topics listed above, and I'll be honest, much of it was above my head. I'm glad it was, because it forced me to start from scratch. I now have an application that will allow me to add an unilmited number of Thermocouples, InterfaceKits, and Servos by using Classes and Controls. I wrote Visual Studio UserControls for each of the items listed above. At runtime, I simply add the controls to the application, and assign the serial number. I still have much of the user interface to retool, but the infrastucture works very well. Because of the infrastructure change, I can operate an unlimited number of BBQ pits, using an unlimited number of servos, thermocouples, and thermistors. Here's a screenshot of the rough application update.

Images

We are working on the new downloads area where there will be a section for demo apps / widgets. Would you be willing to post your Phidget controls in there for others to use? They would be a great tool for many others I'm thinking.

10. Re: USB-Q, the automated BBQ Grill temperature control

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    We are working on the new downloads area where there will be a section for demo apps / widgets. Would you be willing to post your Phidget controls in there for others to use? They would be a great tool for many others I'm thinking.
    Sure. Just let me know when you're ready. I will have to say, it's pretty basic stuff though. But maybe it might spark someone's imagination.

Thread Information