Thread: Quiz Show Scoring System

1. Quiz Show Scoring System

For the better part of the last couple months, I have been using Phidgets to create a new Scoring System for a quiz show production at my workplace.

A little background :

I am a systems engineer for WOSU Public Media out of Columbus, Ohio.

We are now in the 25th year of producing a high school quiz show called In The Know. In the Know is a quiz show consisting of two teams (comprised of local high school students) answering trivia questions and accruing points. Toward the end of the season, there is a playoff system that results in scholarships being awarded to the winning teams.

How Phidgets are incorporated :

About a year ago, it was decided that the production of In the Know was going to be relocated to our new [email protected] Facility. In this move, the producers wanted to upgrade the look and feel of the set/design/logos. In all of the redevelopment, it was apparent that a new scoring system was necessary. It was time to retire the commodore 64 that had been in operation for almost 20 years.

There was a problem, though. A new scoring system, as purchased from people that do that kind of thing, was expected to cost upwards of $15,000. And that number did not even include the new set pieces. That cost was simply hardware and software. That is when I was approached.

I began by tearing apart keyboards to create an improvised input system. After doing some Internet research on computer relay control, I came across Phidgets. They did exactly what I wanted and were able to handle both input and output. Additionally, I would be able to program the Phidgets with Visual Basic 6 (my most understood language).

Parts List :

1 PhidgetTextLCD
    4 Dual Relay Control Boards
    4 Lowe's Grey Box Power Boxes
    Conduit to Connect Power boxes
    A MILE of wiring
    8 "easy" buttons
    4 Power Bricks (to power relays and illuminate set pieces)
    8 Low wattage Halogen lights (soon to be replaced with LED)
    1 Dell XPS/Dimension 1950
    1 flat screen monitor for score display (to be replaced by Large HDTV monitor)
    1 touch screen monitor for scoring system management

For the most part, costs have been really low. They are far less than the $15k required to have this job done by "professionals".

I will have to see if I can get clearance to post a few minutes of video. I can, however, post a few pictures from out first taping (09/18/2007). If I can't get video clearance and you reside in the central Ohio area, the production will air on WOSU.TV on October 6th, 2008. If I can get some video, I will add it to this post.

With any luck, this system will be around the next 20 years!
    Last edited by bruf; 09-19-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Images

Re: Quiz Show Scoring System

Great stuff bruf! We'd love to see some video of this in action if at all possible, so please keep us updated. Thanks for the submission!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: Quiz Show Scoring System

You retired the C64? Noooo!

Seriously though, this is really cool. I'm sure you saved a ton of money too.

4. Re: Quiz Show Scoring System

I know this is late and the winners have been decided, but here is a link to my scoring system in action. This program is produced by ONN [Ohio News Now]. It uses the same set and scoring system used for WOSU's "In the Know". The programs are very similar in look and feel.

The Brain Game

Images

Re: Quiz Show Scoring System

Nice, thanks for the update! This is an excellent representation of the possibilities of these easy to use boards

Too bad you didn't get that video in before the end of last month. I was really pushing for you to be in the top three, but without the video it was a little hard

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information