Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

1. A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Got my RoboNova last night after a major screwup by UPS and then I stayed up till 4:00am this morning putting some things together and reading more about the assembly and software.

Really excited about this humanoid bot and looking forward to getting him together and then improving a few things. Well, maybe not improving so much but making him more like I want him. Heck, that's what having a personal bot is all about, making him personal.

Since my wife has a tendency to name everything she came up with the name AMOS for some reason so I put together the applicable acronym.

Anthropomorphic
    Mobile
    Operational
    Synergism

Carl

2. Re: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Congratulations, sir! Is this your first humanoid?

3. Re: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Yes, this is my first humanoid. Other projects were A.R.M. (Automated Robotic Manipulator) which was an 8 DOF arm with all pieces made by me.

Also designed and built a six legged walker named RoboTik. Made each and every piece for him as well. Had eight processors working on a network I designed called a MAN, Micros Area Network.

Plus I have built a dozen sumobots for the boys in my church group.

Long time ago, like 25 years, I wrote some papers on robotics and sensors and ended up doing some consulting for Disney when they were starting up their animatronics division.

But it's just a hobby and I love it.

I have also had two Hero robots and a Topo which shows my age.

Carl

Images

Re: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Hey Carl,

We would love to hear about the 8 DOF arm project and the six legged walker too! If you get a chance post pics and descriptions of them Were the 8 processors 32bit or was this an older robot? Was the network to distribute walking algorithms?

Matt

5. Re: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Matt,

I built these two particular bots probably 15 years ago and at that time I used 8-bit processors for most of the work. With the distributed processing for tasks the 8-bit processors were quite capable. Host processors were 16 bit and the network was used to tell each leg or subassembly what to do and then it was left alone till it finished and sent an interrupt back to the host. All sensor communication was also done on the MAN.

At that time I had small PC boards made for a basic processor layout and could add many other parts to each board. At that time of my life I was really into being bot-centric and almost all my free time was spent working on them. Of course, being employed by Martin Marietta (now Lockheed Martin) gave me great access to a wealth of knowledge and resources. But those were the days my friend...

I think I still have some pictures around in one of my scrapbooks of both A.R.M. and RoboTik. The early work I was doing was before digital cameras and such. And lots of the pieces found there way into other projects along the path of getting older.

Carl

Images

Very cool, thanks for the description. Yeah, if you dig up pics that would be cool to see them. A lot of the youngsters around here need to see what robots used to look like! LOL

Even with today's strong processors I think there is a strong need to continue to network. 99% of the people out there are building robots that won't leave the room so it makes sense to tap into off-bot processing power for the time being until processors are smaller, cheaper, and use less power. We can get a lot of research and learning done in the meantime making due with what the market has. In five years when the hardware is better we can let our robots loose in the wild without having to report home

7. Re: A.M.O.S. is here, AKA Robonova

Hey Matt,

Mine never report back anyway. They just go off and do there own thing.

One other thing. Last night I was watching some of the videos from RoboGames, 2006 I think, and saw your Rook dukeing it out with another humanoid. Question is, are you controlling your's remotely or are they running autonomous in the sparring?

Carl

Images

I think you have the wrong Matt

You're thinking about Matt Bauer of bauerindependents. Maybe he'll chime in though.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

One other thing. Last night I was watching some of the videos from RoboGames, 2006 I think, and saw your Rook dukeing it out with another humanoid. Question is, are you controlling your's remotely or are they running autonomous in the sparring?
    Hi Carl,
    Rook's Pawn is remote controlled using the wireless bluetooth on my laptop. He sports a couple autonomous features however. A couple gyros help keep him balanced, and an accelerometer knows when he fell (and in what direction) so he's able get up on his own. I would eventually like to make him entirely independent of human control though.

Congratulations on obtaining a Robonova-1! They're tough to put down... my wife had to remind me to eat during assembly :-D

Thread Information