Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

1. Thumbs up [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

Hey everyone, just checked out a book from the library. I didn't go looking for it, but happened to find it when looking for other things. It's for .NET development and touches on several devices sold through trossenrobotics.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-NET-.../dp/1590597907

I wouldn't say this book provides solutions that are not readily available online, but it seems like a decent book.

The book chapter titles are:
    1) Sockets Programming (chat program)
    2) Serial Communications (RS-232, Bluetooth, GPS)
    3) Incorporating Fingerprint Recognition into Your .NET Apps
    4) Infrared Programming
    5) Fun with RFID (parallax RFID, phidgets RFID)
    6) External Devices (webcam, parallax board of education, basic, and some ultrasonic sensor)

Images

Re: [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

You just made this geek's day fish!

Matt.... Can we stock this book? hehe

thanks!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

barns and noble in oakbrook does not stock it.

amazon.com has it

will trossen have a bookstore?

Images

>>> will trossen have a bookstore?

I think it's safe to say that one day we will, but there are many wish list items ahead of that right now. We have to budget how fast we add new SKUs and there are always a dozen robots and robot parts on that list that we know everyone wants. It's also hard to compete with the likes of Amazon.

So anyhow, someday we probably will, but not soon.

5. Re: [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

Hi.

I'm currently working on a school major project, and my teacher had told me to try out on the projects in this book "Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects" by Wei-Meng Lee.
    I'm now trying out the 1st project in Chapter 2, "Serial Communications", of the book. There's this part where I've to connect the PC with a handphone through bluetooth so that I can issue AT commands (pg84, 85 of the book). However my handphone just can't conenct with the PC whenever I try to pair them up.
    I'd tried the serial chat with another PC for the earlier part of the project1 and it worked. I just can't figure out why my handphone doesn't work. The handsets that I'm using are Nokia N76 and Nokia 3250. And I'm using MS Visual Studio 2005 to run the project.

Does anyone know the solutions to this problem? Because I'm just exposed to all these new softwares, so I'm new to it.
    Thanks!

Images

Could you could scan the pages you're talking about or give us links to some PDF's?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

7. Re: [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=...bnail#PPA84,M1

This is the link that contains the content of the book. The one that I'd problems with are at page 84 and 85.
    Thanks!

If you use Hyperterminal and try connecting to your phone handset with the same settings you're setting in code, does it work?

I would suspect port/cable/connection-setup problems. To eliminate those, use a known working communications application like HyperTerm that comes with Windows.

9. Re: [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

I'd tried using HyperTerminal to test for the AT commands. It worked initially. It can tell me my handphone model number, signal strength and etc.
    Later, I installed another bluetooth device software and then the whole thing started to get messed up till it can't work anymore. So I uninstall all the bluetooth programmes and just installed mine. Yet, the hyper terminal is still unable to work.

Is there any specific setting that I'd to set for my hyper terminal?

If you can't get hyperterminal working, your code is never going to work. So that's at least a start.

I've found that bluetooth virtual com-port drivers are very touchy. The only ones I've ever had work reliably have been from BlueSoliel. Even those won't work on my Vista laptop consistantly.

Anyway, uninstalling the bluetooth hardware and drivers from control panel and starting over again with what you first had working might be the best direction to look in first. Either that or roll back to the original drivers in XP or Vista.

Regardless, your code isn't going to work until hyperterm works consistantly.

Thread Information