Trossen Accelerometer Gyro Top Banner
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

1. Re: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

Hi, could you put were have to bought the traxas steering blocks and what model of blocks are? Thanks for all, im searching the same model but im afraid i cant.

Regards.

2. Re: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

hey how are you i'm new i made this account just so i can talk to you how much did it come out to be and will you sell them in the near future or will you sell them to people that want one?

Images

Re: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

This is a long dead project, I don't have any plans of selling these as kits.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics
    Join the Robotic Combat Revolution @ Mech Warfare!

Images

Hi Andrew, long time no hear . im still going to finish this project if i can mine is not dead but just on hold , keep saying ill get back to it but house renovations took over lol. but keep looking at it as well as my T100 tracked machine. as you know coding is my problem. Anyway hows it all going Andrew?
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

5. Re: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

Converted to an SSD.. and need to figure out why when the power to the tracks is enabled, one side just starts running.
    This stuff is all new to me, but I'm mechanically inclined..

Nice job Tyberius. Same to you tdiaz. Two thumbs up to both of you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post

Converted to an SSD.. and need to figure out why when the power to the tracks is enabled, one side just starts running.
    This stuff is all new to me, but I'm mechanically inclined..
    Whoa, this is my original. How'd you come across it? I sold it to someone like... 4ish years ago?
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

8. Re: Pico-ITX based Johnny 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Whoa, this is my original. How'd you come across it? I sold it to someone like... 4ish years ago?
    Yup, I got it from that buyer, a friend, about 2 and half years back. .. and not had time to do much with it. It came with a 32GB SSD that was cloned, but the Mini ITX board hated that drive no matter what, and I didn't want to use it much with the spinning disk under it. I recently opted for a 128GB SanDisk SSD and it took to that without any issues.

I messed around a little with the layout below, as best I could figure out what's going on. There's one connector that's labeled "Flip", that I can't figure out what it's for, and when the main switch that powers the crawler is on, one side is activated constantly, so it will just go in circles.

..and I have yet to be able to get two web cams to work at once, despite what I can see earlier in this thread giving me the impression that it did that previously.

I'd been using the thread as a "reference manual". It's an excellent creation. My interest was in working with Civil Air Patrol cadets, with the national headquarters getting into more R/C aircraft and robotics as part of the whole STEM movement.. and recalling how much fun the Topo robot with Logo on the Apple II was, and the Mattel BigTrak, I was drawn to this .. besides being basically stuck in the 1980s, this is an excellent icon of the 1980's.

Images

It definitely had both webcams operating simultaneously, but honestly I'd recommend swapping out that Pico-ITX board for something a bit more powerful.

Back then when I started that robot (2006?) it was the fastest/smallest PC on the market. Now I'm sure you could find something considerably faster.

No idea on the motor controller. It's a sabertooth, so you should be able to lookup the manual on it.

Good luck! I'm glad to see that robot still lives.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

Images

Sounds like one of the motor drivers may be wired incorrectly or possibly damaged.

Are you using linux? There are several webcams whose drivers do not allocate bandwidth correctly, so each one basically seizes as much bandwidth as it can leaving little for the rest. Certain MS Lifecams are a common culprit, and the only fix is to use really low resolution and driver tweaks, or to stick the cameras on different USB controllers on the same PC.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"

Thread Information