Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel mounting woes.

Question Wheel mounting woes.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my situation.

I would like to mount wheels on some 8mm shafts that are poking out of my motor but I cannot seem to find any mounting hubs or wheel that would accommodate a shaft of this diameter.

I was hoping to use a pair of Colson wheels with these shafts. Any help?
    Last edited by archcvd; 12-30-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Images

Re: Wheel mounting woes.

What sort of tools do you have available?

You should just be able to bore out the 6mm hole to 8mm, depending on your situation:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Wheel-6mm.aspx
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...-8-Broach.aspx

It's just aluminum, but you'll want to get this as precise as possible.

Once drilled out, it should fit into the Colson wheels no problem

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thank you for the suggestion Alex!

Unfortunately the drill press I have is wildly inaccurate due to the lack of vice and its age. I did however find myself a pair of wheels and hubs to fit the 8mm axle perfectly, so it was just a matter of screwing the hubs onto the wheels.

Images

Where'd ya manage to find the wheels?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

I was doing a random Google image search looking for something with an 8mm bore and I happened to run into them at http://www.robotobjects.com/

I'm surprised how obscure some websites can be because I couldn't find anything through the main results.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Images

This is something that I have found hugely annoying about colson wheels. I love the 2" * 6" wheels. The major problem being the wheel bore is 1 3/8ths. I haven't found an aluminum shaft big enough without having to resort to having them machined for me at a local metal shop...big bucks. So I've resorted to using wood. I can get Oak shafts from Home Depot that are about the right size. I then drill a hole in the center of them large enough for the motor shaft to fit inside, and connect it all with epoxy. I drill holes in the wheels and sink wood screws through the wheels and into the wooden shafts.

DB

Big bucks indeed. When I do actually find a place to make things for me it always costs me an arm and a leg. Now I don't remember its name, but while reading the MAKE blog they mentioned something once about a communal machine shop of sorts. Definitely something I would make use of, however I doubt something like that would pop up in my neighborhood anytime soon.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archcvd View Post
    Now I don't remember its name, but while reading the MAKE blog they mentioned something once about a communal machine shop of sorts.
    http://techshop.ws/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's the one! Thanks Matt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    This is something that I have found hugely annoying about colson wheels. I love the 2" * 6" wheels. The major problem being the wheel bore is 1 3/8ths. I haven't found an aluminum shaft big enough without having to resort to having them machined for me at a local metal shop...big bucks. So I've resorted to using wood. I can get Oak shafts from Home Depot that are about the right size. I then drill a hole in the center of them large enough for the motor shaft to fit inside, and connect it all with epoxy. I drill holes in the wheels and sink wood screws through the wheels and into the wooden shafts.

DB
    The hubs on this page don't do the trick for you?
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2894-Colson.aspx
    They need to be tapped in with a hammer, but that's the way they work, with a pressure fit. The hubs aren't 1 3/8 though, the colsons I've seen and that we carry have smaller bore holes.

Thread Information