Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

1. Smile My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Hello,

I'm totally new here... I found the website because I needed a servo for a project I am working on. Alex suggested I visit the forum... and so I thought I'd post what I have so far.

Umm... basically its an Ai Talking Teddy Bear. I have a small little company I've managed to put together and I make Ai chatbots. All my own code... I really have a disliking for AIML or Ai systems that can't learn.

But anyway... I'm putting together a prototype of a "smart Ai teddy" that you can talk to and it talks back intelligently. You'll be able to have full conversations with it via the voice recognition and Ai software running from a Sony UX380n micro computer inside it.

The cool thing is the ux380n comes with a LCD screen, which is touch screen, so I'll be able to make picture and games for the user to play, to have it tell stories, and stuff like that...

Here is some concept art...

I've order all the parts and the micro computer... I just have to wait a few days to get started. I'll be visiting ToysRiS in a few days too.

And here is my idea for the mouth Chassis... that's why I needed a servo... to make the bear's mouth move up and down while its talking.

So that is where I am at... I'm sure I'll have a few questions here and there... hopefully I can get some help... as I am totally new at this aspect.

I can't wait to read up on some threads here... this is like exciting!

Images

Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Are you planning on turning this into a commercial product? If so, if you don't mind me asking, how much are those Sony micro computers running you?

This sounds like a cool project though, kinda like a technofied Teddy Ruxspin for the next generation

Keep us all posted with your work, join in on community discussions and by all means if you have any questions at all along the way feel free to post them!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Hey, thanks Alex...

I just got my servo today... and tested it out.

These are amazing little creatures! I was amazed the first time it moved at my command. The API works great and is so easy. How about the first time you set your servo on a timer? Yeah...

I'm just building the prototype with a sony ux380n so I hope that whoever I can sell the idea to will help me with the hardware aspect so these things can sell for less than $300 or less. Still, I see a few more years before all this comes together because I do need a little horse power to run the Ai.

Yeah, the sony goes for around $1000... but again its just for the prototype. Worked great with the servo btw.

Like I said... just getting my toes wet... but I have a ton of ideas of what I could do with your Phidgets... wish I had multiple clones... and more time.

will stop by from time to time and update... thanks...!

4. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Very interesting - how much horsepower do you think you need? Would a 100 MIPS 32-bit processor be enough? I'm playing with one of these now...

http://www.tincantools.com

- Jon

5. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Hey Jon,

Ditto..! That also looks very interesting... Yes, I *think* I could get by on that kind of processor speed... but I am wondering how much RAM can be added. I sorta need about 32 MB free just for the core algorithms... but then that is on Windows. Porting to linux might be another can of worms. This looks hot. I'm gonna read up on it some more. Thanks for the info!

6. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

If you need more memory, you can look at the gumstix:

http://www.gumstix.com

The verdex XL6P (I have a couple of them) runs at 600 MHz, and has 128 MB of RAM.

Note that the Hammer has USB host, so if you need most of that storage for data that doesn't change, you can plug in a small USB thumb drive to store your data...

- Jon

7. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Thanks! Its looking like what was impossible is certianly possible... I'm gonna have to do some reading... but I'm very interested.

But actually right now... I sorta have a question about my servo. I got it installed in the teddy bear. And it looks great. He looks like he's really talking.

But the servo makes too much noise... and its a little irritating. What can I do? Is there some type of servo that is ultra silent? Can it work with Phidgets?

Thanks again...!

Images

Any standard servo will work with Phidgets

As far as the noise, most all servos will make some sort of noise, but the level of noise varies between servos. What servo are you using?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

9. Re: My AI Teddy Bear ;-P

Its the standard black and red servo that ships with the single-servo-kit. I forgot the name. Don't want to take it out of the bear...

Any suggestions on the best kind of silent servo?

I'll try to take some video of the bear talking. Its a little erie. I had to slow down the voice and add a 50ms check zone for the voice visemes... the voice is faster than the servo. But its still very good.

Thanks!

cya laters...!

Images

The servo moving at full speed? There are some servos out there that are faster then others, might look into them. I think servocity.com has full specs for every servo they carry.

Thread Information