Trossen Hexapod  Top Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally new -Needing advice

Re: Totally new -Needing advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. Bioloid is the best for this for a couple of reasons. First, the same actuators can be used as servos and as continuous-turn motors. This is convenient because it allows you to use the same brackets to mount both servos and motors. Another thing that helped make this transforming design possible is the wide rotation range (300 degrees) of the servos.
    To say nothing about the needed torque for this project... The Bioloid has more torque over the RoboNova-1 and KHR robots.
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

2. Re: Totally new -Needing advice

Well I have placed my order for the Bioloid comprehensive kit. I can't wait until it arrives. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Well I have placed my order for the Bioloid comprehensive kit. I can't wait until it arrives. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress.

Linda
    Very good choice!

To save yourself money you may want to buy some type of wire protection.

Cheers.
    Last edited by srobot; 02-01-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

Images

Thanks for that link Scotty! That's some great advice.

We've only taken our Bioloid kit out a few times (trying to build a store for all of ya), but when we did I noticed there was quite a bit of pinching/rubbing with the wires around the joints. I've been forgetting to ask everyone what they do to prevent the wires from wearing, so thanks!

Be sure to keep us updated with how well that non-fray sleeving works.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Be sure to keep us updated with how well that non-fray sleeving works.
    I will!

I ordered it in 1/8" and 1/4" sizes, and 1' long each, to find what size works best before buying 16 feet of this for William (my Bioloid).

I think it was $0.55 USD per foot of the 1/8" stuff, and $0.75 per foot of the 1/4" tube. If you buy more than 100 feet you will get it cheaper.

--Scotty

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but split loom corrugated tubing, available at (among others) www.AllElectronics.com will protect wires from rubbing brackets or chassis parts. (And look cool.)
    As for general flexing, ya got me there. A high-strand count wire will be more flexible than a lower count, and solid wire is a problem looking for a place to occur (as regards bending.)
    Wide arcs can reduce the amount of flex. To me, this leads to unsightly loops at hinges etc. The solution? Be prepared to splice in wires where alot of bending or flexure occurs. This is one of those intractable problems that will make someone alot of money if they figure a way out.

Images

definitely keep us posted Linda! I'd love to see a community member repeat this project This is a perfect project to document in your blog here in the community too!

If you run into any questions at all, let us know! There's quite a few people here with Bioloid kits.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information