Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Sensor Site

Cool Sensor Site

Friends:

A very cool site with sensors I never knew existed. One more for the bag of tricks:-Migs

http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24

Enjoy!
    "The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning" Bruce Lee - Jeet Kune Do
    "One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer. " G. E. Lessing
    "Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters." - Margaret Peters
    "We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released."-Jean Houston

Re: Cool Sensor Site

It is always good to have another source for parts. ALWAYS.
    That said, this site does seem to have rather high prices. I know that none of this stuff comes cheap, but I don't think a sensor should be a significant fraction of the cost of the microcontroller.

"There are only 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Images

Very good collection of various sensor. But as mentioned at quite high prices.

bout 12 miles west of town, make a left, go 2 miles, make a left, then a right, got the end.

You could buy finished products and take out the sensor for cheaper than those prices....

Images

Those are the highest prices I have ever seen. You can find most of them on other sites for a fraction of the price.

Images

A very nice collection of sensors on that site indeed, thanks for posting the link Migs!

However, I have to agree with everyone else that those sensors are at a pretty high price. If you take a look at the sensors, it seems that almost all of them are just slight modifications of sensors we or other sites like us carry.

For example, if you take a look at their Advance-645 V1.0 sonar sensor it is clearly just a slight modification of one of the LV-MaxSonar sensors from MaxBotix or the actual sonar sensor (name escapes me at the moment) on the MaxSonar itself, at nearly 4 times the cost... I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt though, so maybe I'm totally missing something here. I'd love for I-CubeX to chime in on this thread to explain what their products are about and the reasons for the extra cost.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

This is interesting to see indeed.

Phidgets came out 4 years ago and now we are finally starting to see more companies coming out with modular stuff. This company and the recent arrival of Bug Labs means that FINALLY the idea of modular hardware is catching on. This is good to see since we have wanted to see this area evolve for years. I do question the survival at these prices though. $70 for a flex sensor? Wow. I understand that these systems are more "polished" with labview like software, but good lord. I hope they do well and thus lower prices.

This is really cool packaging:

But at $45?! I'm assuming there is a voltage divider in there and it's a nice clean product with the cable attached and everything. But we wouldn't even think of being a reseller at these prices, not when we sell the same sensor already for $6...

Hi guys/gals:

I agree the prices are high, but if you are like me its good to browse and look. Please do post sites you all really like.

Migs
    "The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning" Bruce Lee - Jeet Kune Do
    "One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer. " G. E. Lessing
    "Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters." - Margaret Peters
    "We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released."-Jean Houston

Images

We totally agree Look at all the responses it got

Images

Absolutely post links! I love browsing sites I never seen before. I was just really disappointed at their prices is all.

BTW, we're talking about integrating a Links Directory in the TR Community. Check this thread out for more info:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1392
    Last edited by Alex; 02-05-2008 at 09:30 PM.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information