Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Away to track an object motion.

1. Smile Away to track an object motion.

I belive that my title says it all. I wanted to know the best way to track an object such as a finger and print the values out to a computer. I was researching alittle about magnetic sensors and wanted to know if I could use a magnetic sensor to get the position of objects in 3d space and track their motion.

Images

Re: Away to track an object motion.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but: Roborealm can do this.

3. Re: Away to track an object motion.

Thats not quite what I'm after. I'm trying to capture the motion of objects. I am a 3d modeler, and I do freelance graphics works. what I want is to track an object such as a finger. track the rotation and the distance and save the values to the computer. and use the values to move a cg finger. Basically an alternative to motion capture.

4. Re: Away to track an object motion.

I had one small Idea and I didn't know if it would work. I anted to place a distance sensor and a rotary sensor on every major joint and use that to triangulate a persons movements.

Images

Not quite sure of a solution using that method then, sorry.

Modern motion capture uses the same basic concept of the roborealm tracking video I just posted... I'm at a loss as to how you could do it effectively without a camera input. Magnetic sensors just don't seem like they would provide the accuracy or planes of movement that a camera can.

It's possible you could do it with a cluster of sensors such as an electronic compass, gyro and accelerometer combination... but how you would tie them all together and produce an accurate tracking program is beyond me.

6. Re: Away to track an object motion.

The only problem I that I don't understand how I would use roborealm for this. I know that if you use 6 expensive camera than you can track each limb seperatly. I read an article that said they attached a cluster of gyros and distance sensors and where able to make a cheap, yet accurate version. I will try and post the article If anyone wants to see it

7. Re: Away to track an object motion.

I think you could use the method I described in my thoughts on robot stereoscopic vision. Higher res cameras could handle detail work, such as the initial capture and modeling of an image. You could use low res cameras on high speed servos, along with vector prediction, to allow for some pretty accurate real-time motion tracking.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1398

I know there's software out there that does something like this, and it should be free, because it's a university project. If I can find the link to the site with the software, I'll post it here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wind27382 View Post
    The only problem I that I don't understand how I would use roborealm for this. I know that if you use 6 expensive camera than you can track each limb seperatly. I read an article that said they attached a cluster of gyros and distance sensors and where able to make a cheap, yet accurate version. I will try and post the article If anyone wants to see it

I wasn't talking abut using roborealm in my last suggestion.

9. Re: Away to track an object motion.

Do you mean doing something like this?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

- Jon

10. Re: Away to track an object motion.

close but this is what I am trying to achieve

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oXG6PI_yXZY

Last edited by Alex; 02-06-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: embedded YouTube video

Thread Information