Trossen Dynamixel High Thread Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theory behind stereoscopic camera vision(?)

1. Theory behind stereoscopic camera vision(?)

I've been looking at how robotic stereo vision works, and I think I've got the hang of it.

The eyes are a fixed, known distance apart. The incoming images are analyzed for similarities, and then one image is superimposed. The distance from the similar point on one image from the point on the other then forms the base of a right triangle. The angle of the hypotenuse and the length of the base(distance between the eyes) is known, therefore you can judge distance to the object in focus. The art lies in recognizing similarities, from what I understand.

I think that a neural net would certainly allow you to optimize border recognition, and that certain levels of camera contrast would allow greater precision. The idea, I think, is to map the immediate environment in 3D from the robots perspective. If it has already encountered an object, it should already have a model of it in it's database, and could tag a certain area of the screen as "object_Beer_Bottle047", and instead of actively scanning the bottle itself, it removes the area from active analysis(skips over the particular required overlaps corresponding with the known object), until either the bottle is removed from the vicinity, or is changed enough to warrant a new situation (such as falling of a table and being broken.)

So, a recap... two images are fed to the analyzing program. One is static, one is moved until a similarity can be aligned. The program places both side by side, and does a first pass 'find similarities' routine, and then notes the position of the similarities on the fixed point image. The mobile picture is superimposed onto the static image, pixel by pixel, each pixel representing a level of 3D resolution. When similarities are aligned, the positions are noted, providing an x,y,z coordinate relative to the bot's eyes. When similarities share certain parameters (light conditions, color, position, shared shadow, etc.) then the coordinates noted during the stereo analysis are combined to form a 3D model of the perceived object.

Using more cameras would increase recognition of borders and increase depth resolution, I think, by providing more angles of analysis. 4 cameras would provide 6 angles of perception, 5 would give 11 angles. I'm sure at some point the power, processing, and cost requirements make it pretty unworkable to include lots of 'eyes,' but on the other hand, with a bunch of cheap cameras, you could get really good resolution for realtime stereoscopic vision. Also, having more than 2 opens up the possibilities of multiple focus points, since a bot has no inherent 'train of thought' limitation. It can handle multicameral thought as easily as the programmer can create a thread.

Anyway, 3D stereo vision is limited only by processor speed and camera resolution, which can be simulated by using multiple low res cameras, which has the added benefit of increased z resolution. I know there have to be really really cheap cameras out there because they are ubiquitous in cell phones, and I can buy a webcam for $10 at tigerdirect.

So machine vision, in theory, shouldn't be too great a hurdle. Obviously the 1" resolution at up to 6 kilometers isnt gonna be within reasonable bot expectations (unless the army supply truck tips on the highway near my house and I happen to be driving by. eh heh.) I think a .5 cm resolution at up to 40 feet should be very reasonable, and the closer something gets the better the detail. Also, the cameras dont have to be the same resolution, they just have to have a known position and the images have to be the same size.

2. Re: Theory behind stereoscopic camera vision(?)

this would be nice to see if someone could actually put a demo together.

Images

Re: Theory behind stereoscopic camera vision(?)

Mottors has done a ton of work with Stereoscopic vision and has documented quite a bit of it on his blog.

I just ran a quick search on his blog.

One for "vision"
    http://streebgreebling.blogspot.com/search?q=vision

One for "stereoscopic"
    http://streebgreebling.blogspot.com/...q=stereoscopic

I know it's not a straight up demo, but he does do an incredible job at explaining a lot of different things in all his posts about it

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

4. Trossen Accelerometer Gyro Thread Banner
    robot maker Guest

here is a site i found on stereoscopic vision where somebody did alot of work on it
    rodney the robot http://sluggish.uni.cc/rodney/vision.htm

robot maker Guest

also linuxguy there is a linux version too with code
    and full windows version in c++6.0

robot maker Guest

also from the same webite rodney the robot
    senteince 3d and setereo vision and alot of info

http://code.google.com/p/sentience/

Quote Originally Posted by robot maker View Post
    here is a site i found on stereoscopic vision where somebody did alot of work on it
    rodney the robot http://sluggish.uni.cc/rodney/vision.htm

Images

All those links are Bob Motters PM him to have him ring in here. He's done great stuff in this area.

robot maker Guest

yes thats his sites,love the work he has done

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    All those links are Bob Motters PM him to have him ring in here. He's done great stuff in this area.

Images

If you use the camera's simply for "range detection", wouldn't it be simpler to have the camera's move to have a variable angle between them?

Do a comparison between the two images, reduce / increase angle until the images are more than 90% alike, then take that angle and calculate distance?

There would still be differences given the perspective / dissimilarities of camera's / lighting etc, so you'd never get a 100% match, but wouldn't it still be a viable way of getting some sort of ranging?

I say this because the human eyes do move 'towards each other' to get things into focus, and I feel this is the way we judge the range. After a few feet the difference in angle between our eyes is negligable, thus making it harder to judge distance, but why would we need that since our arms can't reach it?

In my view it's a lot easier to do a boolean comparison of each pixel value and then divide the amount of pixels by the passed comparisons than actually processing the entire image and then finding that piece of information in the next image once processed.

However, that still leaves out anything close to object recognition, but that's waaaaay too advanced for me
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

My eyes don't move closer to each other, they only change the angle from the center point. The angle of incidence.

I can also tell the difference between 200 and 250 feet. I can see that an object 200 feet away is closer than an object 250 feet away. Not with as much precision, but that's due to the spacing between the eyes and parallax.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information