Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robonova gets a hand.

Robonova gets a hand.

*Deep Bow* Hello friends,

My entry for your parousal, a hand for a RN-1.

Here are pictures and a video shot with my uber-clear cellphone... Heh...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/DrageSjel/02-11-08_0910.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/DrageSjel/02-11-08_0909.jpg

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/DrageSjel/?action=view&current=02-11-08_1016.flv

Its shown in the pictures next to the forearm bracket of a Robonova-1 for size comaprison. This version is just the skeleton. I mean to flesh it ouut a bit more and make the movements a bit more fluid. I don't know if I'll add this one to my RN as it seems to be a bit large.

What do you think of this newest version so far?
    Last edited by Matt; 02-11-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: embedded your pics :)

Images

Re: Robonova gets a hand.

I like it, the action looks pretty smooth. Movement looks very realistic. If you plan to use it for real grabbing I would oppose the thumb a bit more. Right now it looks like it might be a little too perpendicular.

BTW - Welcome to the community!

3. Re: Robonova gets a hand.

That's awesome. I agree that it would be tough to actually attach that to a Robonova, but it's still awesome. What's it made out of?
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

Images

Hey Mykl, good to see you over on this side =)

Mykl and I are talking about the possibility of using his hand-design concepts to build a rugged 3 fingered "Johnny 5" gripper just like the movie version had.

Really cool stuff though, you might think about using muscle wire to pull the tendons if they're just for show, however to pick things up you'll need a more powerful solution.

PS: You should blog or post about your Supernova project, I'm sure the guys here would get a kick out of it.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 02-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.

5. Re: Robonova gets a hand.

I've actually been planning on building something very similar to this for a larger version of BrainBot (RX-64 based). We're going to print all the pieces on the 3D printer, and the current plan is to have a 3-fingered hand with 5 DOF in the hand itself, plus another 2 for the wrist. Last year I was walking through a liquidation store and saw this, so I had to buy it:

http://www.discoverthis.com/smartlab-skeletal-hand.html

- Jon

Images

That's awesome Jon. One of the veeeeery first things I built as a young dorky kid was an animatronic hand like that. I did the old wire through stiff plastic tubing trick where you cut out triangle notches to make bend points for the joints. It sorta worked...

Some inspriation for your hand.

http://www.shadowrobot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I like it, the action looks pretty smooth. Movement looks very realistic. If you plan to use it for real grabbing I would oppose the thumb a bit more. Right now it looks like it might be a little too perpendicular.

BTW - Welcome to the community!
    Thank you for the welcome. There are a couple of things about this model that were a bit off. The thumb position was one and the proportional length ofthe fingers is another. The way the thumb is currently positioned the hand can pick up water bottles and pill bottles. I shoud post a video of it actually manipulating something... I am going to add some pads to the inside surfaces to increase grip and I may adjust the thumb angle a bit but right now the position enables some good emotive positions (Thumbs up, Victory even pinching...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    That's awesome. I agree that it would be tough to actually attach that to a Robonova, but it's still awesome. What's it made out of?
    I do not think the attachment will be that difficult. I want to paint it up to resemble the anodizing on the stock parts. It is made out of Vinyl tubing, Rubber Stainless wire and glue.

Thank you also for the Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Hey Mykl, good to see you over on this side =)

Mykl and I are talking about the possibility of using his hand-design concepts to build a rugged 3 fingered "Johnny 5" gripper just like the movie version had.

Really cool stuff though, you might think about using muscle wire to pull the tendons if they're just for show, however to pick things up you'll need a more powerful solution.

PS: You should blog or post about your Supernova project, I'm sure the guys here would get a kick out of it.
    I will post the Supernova here sporting one of these hands! Until then I'll post it attached to a standard Robonova. I'll call it Quasi-Robo... Heh...

I think the design and function of your J5 gripper will be much siimpler and stronger.

Thank you for the well come.

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    I've actually been planning on building something very similar to this for a larger version of BrainBot (RX-64 based). We're going to print all the pieces on the 3D printer, and the current plan is to have a 3-fingered hand with 5 DOF in the hand itself, plus another 2 for the wrist. Last year I was walking through a liquidation store and saw this, so I had to buy it:

http://www.discoverthis.com/smartlab-skeletal-hand.html

- Jon
    Hello Jon,

I actually had a version of that hand. It was robotic looking rather than biological. The thumb has no ability to move but the idea of the tendons and joints led to experimentation that led to the hand I've posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's awesome Jon. One of the veeeeery first things I built as a young dorky kid was an animatronic hand like that. I did the old wire through stiff plastic tubing trick where you cut out triangle notches to make bend points for the joints. It sorta worked...
    I personally think that more of the tech used in the animatronic industry should and will find use in the hobby robotics field. To build a machine that mimics biological life is what most of our goals are. Its what turns heads. I think it would even be cool to build and exoskeleton that was covered by a sculpted body/skin to resemble a biological life form. They would surly be fun to watch toting weapons or wrestling hand to hand.

Here is a video of the thing actually gripping something(s):

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...11-08_1417.flv
    Last edited by MYKL; 02-11-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdolecki View Post
    Some inspriation for your hand.

http://www.shadowrobot.com/
    Hello jdolecki,

The Shadow project hand is a beautiful example of what can be accomplished with out-of-the box thinking.

Its a bit large for a Hobby robot.

The actuators require a space eating amount of valves and air supply. If I was building a full sized Anthropomorphic arm I'd go there. I just wanna give my RN some humaniod personality.

I've actually got some plans for an actuator that functions remarkably like theirs but, that is another project.
    Last edited by MYKL; 02-12-2008 at 10:48 AM.

10. Re: Robonova gets a hand.

Hello,

I guess that I should of used the search function better before I posted about this thing in another topic.

Asbrandsson

Thread Information