Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone ever tried to build a mech

1. has anyone ever tried to build a mech

just a little curious I know that with today technology it's impossible. but I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to build a mecha, or a gundam, or landmate. etc. because if you can pull it off i want to be the first to get the video.

Re: has anyone ever tried to build a mech

There a quite a few people futzing around with building one. You saw the one that the guy in Alaska built right?

I don't see it as impossable with what we have avialable today. I believe it is just a matter of the right talents and drives meeting with the freedom to create.

You have to give the world a reason to support anything you create.
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

3. Re: has anyone ever tried to build a mech

Hello,

I think that that hits the nail on the head. If you really want something to take off it has to have a justification for people to want it. The guy in Alaska created something that is kind of a neat toy, like the robot car that eats other cars. It is cool to look at, but has not particular purpose or real use.

Asbrandsson

Don't get me wrong though, think there are some real uses for an ambulatory machine.
    Firefighting. Rescue. Forestry. Entertainment. Construction.

It would of course instantly be assimilated by whatever government it was built under the protection of...
    MYKREATION:

Images

Has anyone every seen this mech:

I still find it a little hard to swallow though...

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

^ Ive seen that before in other videos. "Weapons" were completely fake before, maybe they work now... but it doesn't actually walk, it has wheels built into it's feet and it just sort of shuffles.

Yeah, its sk4t3r b07... Heh.

But it is closer than we were before to actualizing an full sized mech.

Our little humaniod bi-peds are barely past the shuffle thing themselves. Put my RN-1 on a soft carpet and he becomes a different bot. Put him in the grass and he's done. The wheeled and multilegged platforms are still vastly superior. Sure I can program my little bot to walk up stairs. But my Radio controlled stadium truck can drive right up those stairs and make a four point landing when it launches off the top.

I think we need to rethink the construction of the skeletal system of our little bots. I am thinking about getting some foam carving it into the shape of a Landmate type miniature mecha and then layering this with fiberglass likethe animatronics/puppet guys do. You wait for the sculpt to cure then you cut it open at appropriate junctures and fish out the foam. You are then left with a light weight yet very resilient exoskeleton within which to mount the electrics and actuators. IMHO the electrics, batteries and most of the servomotors can be located with the main trunk and upper limbs. Like you and I.

This place and the company found here stirs the mind...

^_^
    MYKREATION:

Images

I'm totally not posting this to be inflammatory, so no offense is meant to anyone who likes Mechs. I just thought this article was funny and also makes many good points. So I'm just throwing it in here to add to the discussion. Go ahead and agree, disagree, whatever...

Sci-fi rant: Why giant mecha robots are stupid by Jay Garmon

9. Re: has anyone ever tried to build a mech

I see I'm a little late to this thread, but if you're interested in Mechs, you should check out Neogentronyx. It's just one dude working on it, and he ran out of money so the project is stalled. Anyhow, it may not work, but it looks bad ass.

It also looks extra brutal since it's kind of rusty and covered in snow. It still looks like it could come to life and start killing at any moment. On a side note; if you don't want to be killed by marauding robots, you should join the resistance.
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

Thats the one I was talking about in Alaska! There are videos of it shuddering about...

It was a valiant attempt. It would make a fine steampunk decoration.

There are so many lightweight yet structurally sound alternatives to this kind of thing. You just shouldn't expect it to be easy to make a forklift walk. Have you seen the Big Dogs? I think they are called mules too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

John Deere/Plustech has a four legged forestry machine that is cool as heck.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

I read the Anti-Mech post Matt posted a link too. Sadly the mans arguement is logically sound. But, Before the combusion engine a powered wagon was chastised as being a waste of space and energy because you could ride a horse or even a bicycle with more efficiency. The face of this world was changed by artests who value innovation. The fun factor of making a unique way to do something mundane is undeniably what makes the human mind the most impressive example of design. Get on a freeway ad look at the vehicles and drivers. A person drives what makes him/her feel good in most cases even if it is not the most efficient trasport they could use. Teen aged persons driving overpowered SUVs with reduculous sound systems... They could be on a scooter with a hybrid motor...

I am not a proponant of the whole accidental, survival of the fittest sadness that really is a downgrading slight to a wonderfully designed plane of existance. I am also not a religious zealot. I just, as an artest and an engineer of sorts cannot ignore the fact that we as creators have yet to construct anything that is as impressive as even the most base lifeform.

So why limit yourself to Logical, Ergonomic, Efficient, Reasonable ETC... creations?

Make your frickin' Armoured suit and trot it out into the street and touch the lives of your fellow man. Thats what artests have been doing since the begining. There is no efficient reason to paint a picture of a mountain or a beautiful woman. Go and see it yourself. There is no logical reason to create a tool that produces music and to sing along with it.

There is only our instinctual desire to create and please one another.

Thats reason enough for me to keep making new things. Like giant mecha that are stupid...

^_^
    MYKREATION:

Thread Information