Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gepetto

Images

Re: Gepetto

Ok...for now (budget totally blown, wasn't supposed to start this one until june.) I'm just going to add three IR sensors that I already have, and try to get the camera running. This summer I plan on getting a motorcycle so I have to behave, but I want to get a 3D orient sensor (uses a 3D compass), a couple of tilt sensors, 3 far reach Ultrasonic sensors, and perhaps in the very far future some Biofeedback sensors so that Vivian can tell what I'm doing. Ok...so thats a lot...

Oh...did I mention the light sensors?
    http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24

Images

I'm also impressed by how much that flexible suspension matters. Very rough ground and she was having no problems. How come your not using some thick tread air filled tires? Is it a half and half bot for indoor outdoor?

It is nice to win other people over with robots isn't it? I brought a Pleo to the superbowl party and everyone loved him. They have NO idea what I do during the day or what TR is about so it's nice to show them a little.

Congrats on the new family member!

Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm also impressed by how much that flexible suspension matters. Very rough ground and she was having no problems. How come your not using some thick tread air filled tires? Is it a half and half bot for indoor outdoor?
    The easy answer is I used these wheels because I now how to mount them on these motors without too much of a fuss... The hard answer is that I tried using air filled wheels with Gepetto.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...5-W-pair-.aspx

He basically just turned the hubs out of the wheels, and then got stuck on them.

DB

Images

It's good to know those units have that issue. I'm guessing the weight of the bot has something to do with it. There are probably more robust air filled tires out there, but your bot is already set of course in the wheel department.

Images

I have used wheel barrow wheels in a pinch, but then you have to deal with the huge hassle of connecting them to a motor. I really prefer direct drive given that I make everything by hand.

The other issue is that when you are using direct drive that amount of torque available directly effects the size of wheels that you can use. I think the first Gepetto got away with using smaller motors because the wheels were smaller.

DB

Images

Ok...so I finally got Vivian working reliably with the Wii remote. I'll try to post the software and links tomorrow. Basically I used WiiRemote, downloaded from from Http://onakasuita.org/wii/.

This program allows the wii to control the mouse. It also maps the wii buttons to various keys. This allows me to map the B button or trigger to the trigger of the gun.

The MAX?MSP objects that I used are MouseState and PhidgetServo. MouseState takes the input from the mouse and outputs its location as pixel values in X and Y coordinates. I had to remap the values so that they would match the values required by my Vantec ESP.

I have found that a joystick works a lot better for controlling a robot than a mouse, because a joystick returns to a 0 value automatically. Using a mouse you don't have this advantage which means that you often end up over steering the mouse.

There is a MAX/MSP object that I may try to incorporate that can take control of the mouse. I may use this to automatically move the mouse back to a 0 position after some period of time.

A joystick also has some form of Physical feed back. You can feel the location of the mouse.

I added a few things to make the mouse easier to control. First I added threshholds, which greatly increased the center position of the mouse. I also added a pitch to the horizontal location of the mouse. The pitch can only be heard when the mouse is in a centered position, and increases in frequency as the mouse moves across the screan. This makes controlling the robot a lot easier because you can hear where the mouse is, and correct mistakes before you make them.

Here is a link to the video.

Again, I'll upload the MAX/MSP patch tomorrow.

DB

Images

That's wild db, great work!

I downloaded that application (I think it was the right one), but I can't seem to figure out how to map the map wii buttons to keys on my keyboard. I'm just checking out the app and don't have a bluetooth module to connect to my wiimote though. Do I have to have one connected just to check out the mapping feature?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

I'm sorry,

I haven't uploaded the new software yet. My parents came to town, and everything has been all in a mush since then. As for mapping the wii keys to your keyboard, The wii / mouse software that I downloaded, just check under the options menu. I'll try to post a video of this later...as in next week...

DB

Images

Ok...so if you download win remote.

Once you run the application, select Options/preferences.

In the upper right hand of the preferences box you can assign the various button functions.

Select the button you want to map from the drop down menu. Then under assign (the menu just below that select keys.

Below that there is a press keys here window. Below that is a dialogue box. type the key you want to map the button to, and press the set button just to the right of the dialogue box.

That should do it. I set the max patch to look for the a lower case h. I figured I was probably least likely to select that key by accident.

Hope this helps.

DB

Thread Information