Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell phone as a microcontroller?

Images

Re: Cell phone as a microcontroller?

Awesome work cheetah100! Ever think about entering your project in our contest? It ends on May 31. We'll be putting the updated prizes on the page later this week.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Exclamation Re: Cell phone as a microcontroller?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeGee View Post
    Cell phone manufacturers tend to lock their phones down. So I'm pretty sure modern cell phones get the processing power and the interfaces to do so, but it might be hard to open it up.
    I don't know about phones from other manufacturers, but Nokia phones are very easy to unlock. You can get a code generated from the internet (I don't have the URL, sorry), enter it into the phone and it is unlocked from then on and can be used with any carrier that supports it.

GSM phones like my now ancient Nokia 6600 are supported world wide. I unlocked it when I switched from T-Mobile and now use it with AT&T. When I get a new phone, the 6600 will get disected.

If you are familiar with Linux development, then you can make use of Maemo (the OS on tablet) SDK to build native app, or it's also possible to use Python to do so.
    I was just looking at the N810. When Nokia goes the full step and adds a phone, it will be an extremely interesting device.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Quote Originally Posted by robotguy View Post
    I don't know about phones from other manufacturers, but Nokia phones are very easy to unlock.
    well, actually I was not referring to unlock, but rather developing apps (especially native apps, as opposed to midlets) on the phone. This is because a lot of phones have nice conectivity devices (wifi/bluetooth/serial/usb etc), but only native apps are likely to have full access to them.

I was just looking at the N810. When Nokia goes the full step and adds a phone, it will be an extremely interesting device.
    I somehow doubted that though, because in the business of mobile phone, manufacturers are heavily driven by carriers, which like to lock up the phones a lot. And the N series internet tablet now is just too open to be a phone. Of course it's not technically hard to add, say a GSM modem, support all the phone features like making calls, sending SMSes, establishing data connection and make it a general purpose, non-carrier specifc phone. However I felt that it is something that company like openmoko rather than Nokia would do.

well, actually I was not referring to unlock, but rather developing apps (especially native apps, as opposed to midlets) on the phone. This is because a lot of phones have nice conectivity devices (wifi/bluetooth/serial/usb etc), but only native apps are likely to have full access to them.
    I believe Nokia makes SDKs available for their phones, but they may be limited in scope.

I somehow doubted that though, because in the business of mobile phone, manufacturers are heavily driven by carriers, which like to lock up the phones a lot. And the N series internet tablet now is just too open to be a phone. Of course it's not technically hard to add, say a GSM modem, support all the phone features like making calls, sending SMSes, establishing data connection and make it a general purpose, non-carrier specifc phone. However I felt that it is something that company like openmoko rather than Nokia would do.
    Spark Fun has a couple interesting GSM modules, including the GM862 Cellular Quad Band Module and the GM862 Cellular Quad Band Module with GPS. These might be usable in a hack to the N series internet tablets. These would give a robot data access to the GSM cellular network (with or without GPS). These modules are not cheap, but think of what might be done with them if interfaced to a robot..

Interesting possibilities..

8-Dale

5. Re: Cell phone as a microcontroller?

In terms of using a phone for robotics applications I seriously suggest looking at the OpenMoko. This weekend I was able to get a Phidget Controller working with the OpenMoko. The OpenMoko already has GPS and GPRS onboard, which means that all you need is a SIM card to have both communications and navigation. It has a standard mini USB connector which is easy to attach to the Phidget Controller.

The bad news is that the maker is currently out of stock of the current model, and the next model is still some way from being released. However, I can strongly recommend this little beast as a great robotics platform.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah100 View Post
    In terms of using a phone for robotics applications I seriously suggest looking at the OpenMoko. This weekend I was able to get a Phidget Controller working with the OpenMoko. The OpenMoko already has GPS and GPRS onboard, which means that all you need is a SIM card to have both communications and navigation. It has a standard mini USB connector which is easy to attach to the Phidget Controller.
    I have been looking at the OpenMoko. I am awaiting release of the Freerunner version. I need to get a new phone as I have an almost four year old Nokia 6600 now. I'd love to have an AT&T Tilt, but it's way too expensive right now and they require a $39.95/month data package to have it. I am not sure this is an absolute requirement, but the AT&T folks seem to be real hard headed about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah100 View Post
    The bad news is that the maker is currently out of stock of the current model, and the next model is still some way from being released. However, I can strongly recommend this little beast as a great robotics platform.
    Yes, I know. I suspect this will be the case until the Freerunner is released.

8-Dale

viswatj Guest

Hi jrtowe47, I am actually building a quadcopter using microcontroller but instead i thought lets use mobile phone as brain. Because it has better Speed, Already soldered, Less power consumption processor to it. SO we can do special things like moves or detect face etc.., kind of stuff.
    I am trying to use a Motorola V3i which has a ARM 7 40 interrupter in it(http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motor...eardown/3660/1) of teardown so perfectly understand the phone. Next trying to write a new firmware based on ARM 7 instructions set. You can use present day smart phone( ANDROID, BADA , WINDOWS PHONE , IOS )... BUT you will require a microcontroller to communicate to usb of mobile and to other devices.

Thread Information