Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool DIY Power Meter

Images

Cool DIY Power Meter

http://www.enerjar.net/

Not sure if comprehensive instructions are posted yet, but they said if you want to build one, to contact them and they'll provide additional details. Pretty cool project, looks easy enough to do too!

Images

Re: Cool DIY Power Meter

HaHa, I love it. The next time someone calls here asking if we have cases for the Phidgets I'm telling them to use a mason jar.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    HaHa, I love it. The next time someone calls here asking if we have cases for the Phidgets I'm telling them to use a mason jar.
    I like it too, gives it a sort of rustic appearance, and works well as an insulator in case something were to short. Working with AC current always frightens me a bit....

Images

Very cool, I love seeing stuff like this.

Images

DANGER: The EnerJar's circuitry involves 120-volt AC line voltage. Improper care can result in potentially fatal electrical shock. Do not attempt this project if you are unsure of proper safety procedures. The plans for EnerJar are provided without warranty and the designers cannot be held liable in the result of property damage, personal injury, or death.

The disclaimer alone makes me want to build one!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ooops View Post

The disclaimer alone makes me want to build one!
    Danger = fun...lol

Images

I'm one of those stubborn types that never wants to go downstairs and fumble with the fuse box so I cheat and work on live AC all the time. I can't even count how many times I've zapped myself. I had a friend over helping me swap out my stove and I was cutting the wires in the back...
    "Did you kill the power?"
    "Oh no, it's fine I just clip one at a time..." *BOOM* (very large flash, half the tip of one side of the pliers blows off as friend literally dives for cover.)

Friend turning back slowly with look of complete disbelieve on face. "WTF man?!?! Are you crazy? What is wrong with you?"
    Matt, laughing hysterically. "Hmmm, I totally forgot about bridging to ground on all this backplate metal I guess... do we have any more pliers up here?"

I can hear Jodie hitting her head on her desk right now

At the risk of one-upsmanship but was invoked by name -

Lest ye forget, I'm a licensed electrician (C10/C7). I *earned* the title of "Sparky"... I was demo'ing some conduit in a fire protection company we were putting cameras in. The idiots that they had do the initial demo had disconnected all the neutral wires, but had left the hots all the way through the circuit. You know that funny feeling you get right before the proverbial fecal material impacts the rotating oscillating blades? So I'm on a 15' ladder sawzall'ing this and I think "I probably should have held a screamer up to that pipe..." and am just pulling the saw back to stop when BWAAAAM! 80A/220v/3phase. The saw was triple insulated and battery powered. Blew the whole front of my hitachi saw off and welded the exploded DeWalt blade to the conduit in three places. Knocked me off the ladder and onto my back. THEN, it gets worse. That wire is still hot. No neutral = no breaker. Oh, and the office was running in the middle of the day when I had to throw the 700A mains out at the street. Bad day. The 70yr old retired master electrician that was helping with the job made me a necklace from a piece of the blade and had written "Sparky" on it. Still a treasured possession.

That said, nailing cutters on 110? Sheesh, how many times a day? I don't even replace 'em anymore until the blades aren't usable. (And yes, these are my current-use top-shelf Klein 1412's in the picture...) Also notice the weld up on the top/middle where the outer edge hits the box and blows through the cutting blades...

Attachment 317

Attachment 318

Images

I rewired a hallway light and my entire bedroom without turning off the power (added 2 drops and moved wires around in two other boxes.)

So PBPBPBPBPBPTTTT!!!!

PS: That damn hallway light got me like 5 times though. I was cussing up a storm.

Images

Gees, you two are lucky to be here. Glad you though.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Thread Information