Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewansoul LX-16A bus servo

Lewansoul LX-16A bus servo

Hi!

I just found these nice servos:

https://www.amazon.com/LewanSoul-LX-.../dp/B073XY5NT1

Does anybody already use them for a robot?

Thanks,

Re: Lewansoul LX-16A bus servo

I personally have never heard of them... Saw one review liking them over the Robotis Xl320 servos. Also one of the comments mentioned that once you set a servo's ID, they are compatible with Robotis... But not sure...

I asked them for an offer for 25 servos, and they proposed $11

I ordered one on Amazon to make some tests. I will post results.

I had a look at the protocole, and it does not look like Robotis one. It is much more basic, with far less params/features.

Last week, I received my servo and started to make some tests. Unfortunately, I mis-read the specs, and powered it with Lipo 2S, so 8.4V instead of 7.4V. I asked it to move from 0 to 180° and back, for 20 minutes. The servo became very hot (80°C), but as the default alarm is at 85°C, I was not afraid.

Sadly, the day after, I made new tests with 6V, and the servo stopped working. I disassembled it, and found that I fried the brushes (I now have a brushless motor!).

I ordered some motors replacement from a china site (5 for 5€), so I won't be able to do more tests until they arrive.

But I have to say that the servo worked fine, and is well build (I planned to open it anyway). Backlash is very low. And the fact that spare parts are available is a very good point!

As other mentioned, there is a very little overshoot, but it won't be an issue for an hexapod.

I think I will order 3 more, to build a complete 4 DoF legs, and make more tests with my framework (I already added support for their protocole), as if it was mounted on a complete robot, to see if all work fine.

A 8.4V LiPo will reasonably quickly drop down to 7.4V under load. My guess is that there's some chance that the brushes would burn out even at 7.4V; it's more likely the motors aren't dimensioned for a 20 minute full duty cycle.
    Also, what load did you have on them while they were moving? overvolting a little bit is not a big deal for motors if you don't have load on them, as they shouldn't get warm. If these motors got warm with only light load, that's a significant warning sign!

There where no load during the test. The Lipo was at 8.3V exactly.

The motor reference is RF-130CH-20120. This is a mabuchi motor, but I was unable to find this exact ref. I ordered these:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/5-Pieces-DC-...s/391648163019

They are rated up to 9V, so they should be OK. I'm wondering if the original one is not only rated to 6V, as the RF-130CH-12250 is (this is the most easily found on ebay)...

But you might be right, this is not a good idea to have them work 20min without stop! Anyway, the LiPo won't last that long on a real robot. And as there is a temperature sensor inside, it can be easily monitored.

There where no load during the test. The Lipo was at 8.3V exactly.
    If they burned out after 20 minutes of no-load work, they are junk.

But I was over-powering it! The doc says 7.4V only. As I will receive 5 motors, I will make a new torture test at 8.4V...

Any idea what motor Dynamixel uses?

I am not sure if you are overpowering or not. I would think when it is saying 7.4v that it is implying a 2S Lipo, which when fully loaded can get you up to the 8.3v mentioned.... Likewise old RC servos that said they were for 6v could typically take up to 7.2v as they were made for NIMH setups, which battery packs say 6v but fully charged are t 7.2...

I agree with jwatte if they died after 20 minutes probably junk... Sort of like my old time RC servo hexapods (Lynxmotion), Most of the time I used the Hitec 645mg servos and had very few failures. But a few times I purchased a few cheaper servos and they ALL died...

Thread Information