Thread: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

1. Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

Hi,

I want to design and build an outdoor robot that can move across a flat lawn and carry a payload weighing about 10 – 15 Kg. Can you advise me regarding which parts might be suitable ?

Here’s further information about the basic concept;-
    Overall weight about 15 Kg. Ground clearance at least 4 cm. Speed very slow (0.5 m/sec is OK). Payload platform area about 300 sq cm ( I expect to buy a sheet of thin aluminium and shape that ).
    Controlled by a Rashberry Pi or Arduino.

I think what makes this robot concept different to many is the weight and the ground clearance.

Could you advise me … what wheels, motors and motor driver would be suitable ?
    I think the motor torque will be important, given the weight and I can't find suitable sized wheels.

Many thanks

Images

Re: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

You are basically going to be looking for parts for a 30lbs class or 60lbs class combat robot or a FIRST robot, but requiring far less powerful motors and motor controllers since you do not need the speed to outmaneuver and overpower other robots. Banebots tends to be a very popular source for gearboxes, but AndyMark also produces some decent gearboxes and mechanical components. Plenty of hobbyking motors and motor controllers can be very useful when mated to a banebots gearbox, and many of their motor controllers can be reprogrammed with custom firmware.

Robotmarketplace has a wide selection of wheels: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...eels_main.html
    My last large rover project used $6 harborfreight 10-in. pneumatic tires and custom hubs, but it was a much heavier multipurpose outdoor robot dealing with rather steep hills throughout my yard.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Re: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

I use 1/5th scale RC car wheels; they're about 7 inches (18 cm( around, so about 7 cm ground clearance depending on axle/motor mount.

Thread Information