Thread: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

1. Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

Hi,

I want to design and build an outdoor robot that can move across a flat lawn and carry a payload weighing about 10 – 15 Kg. Can you advise me regarding which parts might be suitable ?

Here’s further information about the basic concept;-
    Overall weight about 15 Kg. Ground clearance at least 4 cm. Speed very slow (0.5 m/sec is OK). Payload platform area about 300 sq cm ( I expect to buy a sheet of thin aluminium and shape that ).
    Controlled by a Rashberry Pi or Arduino.

I think what makes this robot concept different to many is the weight and the ground clearance.

Could you advise me … what wheels, motors and motor driver would be suitable ?
    I think the motor torque will be important, given the weight and I can't find suitable sized wheels.

Many thanks

Images

Re: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

You are basically going to be looking for parts for a 30lbs class or 60lbs class combat robot or a FIRST robot, but requiring far less powerful motors and motor controllers since you do not need the speed to outmaneuver and overpower other robots. Banebots tends to be a very popular source for gearboxes, but AndyMark also produces some decent gearboxes and mechanical components. Plenty of hobbyking motors and motor controllers can be very useful when mated to a banebots gearbox, and many of their motor controllers can be reprogrammed with custom firmware.

Robotmarketplace has a wide selection of wheels: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...eels_main.html
    My last large rover project used $6 harborfreight 10-in. pneumatic tires and custom hubs, but it was a much heavier multipurpose outdoor robot dealing with rather steep hills throughout my yard.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Re: Outdoor Robot Design - Wheels, Motor, Driver

I use 1/5th scale RC car wheels; they're about 7 inches (18 cm( around, so about 7 cm ground clearance depending on axle/motor mount.

Thread Information