Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solenoid Valves

1. Solenoid Valves

I wasn't sure where to post this so I am posting it here. Does anyone have any experience with solenoid valves? Specifically where to find them and what types of controllers could be used to control them? I have some ideas about automated fluid control, but I am having a hard time finding information about these kind of valves. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Images

Re: Solenoid Valves

I wasn't sure where to post this so I am posting it here.
    Hmm.... that's a really good question. We don't have any areas for Solenoids, Hydraulics & Pneumatics. We do have Servos, Motors & Linear Actuators, which involves motion of some sort, but it would look a little stupid calling a forum "Servos, Motors, Linear Actuators, Solenoids, Hydraulics & Pneumatics". It also doesn't make much sense to separate these two considering the low post count. Maybe eventually, but not just yet. I'm wondering what to call this forum though... Motion Control?

I'm open to ideas

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

Oh sure, make a "Motion Control" forum, but not an "Andrew's Johnny 5 Type Tracked Humanoid Fusion Robot" forum.

Images

Here are two great places to find cheap solenoids:

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category/52

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...Solenoids.html

You can control them with Bridgeware that has relays. Phidgets makes a 0/0/4, 0/0/8, and the 8/8/8 which can work with the dual relay adapter board.

Here's the Phidgets page
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/phidgets.aspx

Images

^ I think Solenoid Valve's are a bit different from your standard linear solenoids. Phidgets would still provide an excellent interface for them though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid_valve

Unfortunately, my experience with solenoids alone is meager, let alone solenoid valves.

Hobbes, may I ask what application you're using them for, out of curiousity?

Images

7. Re: Solenoid Valves

Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping to find some a little cheaper than that because i want at least 10. So I should be able to control any solenoid valve with and bridgeware that has relays? If so, that will make things much easier.

@Tyberius
    I want to make an automated bar tender and I need one valve for each ingredient that can be controlled by the computer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes487 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping to find some a little cheaper than that because i want at least 10. So I should be able to control any solenoid valve with and bridgeware that has relays? If so, that will make things much easier.

@Tyberius
    I want to make an automated bar tender and I need one valve for each ingredient that can be controlled by the computer.
    Sounds like an awesome project!

And yes, phidgets would be a great platform for this project. Solenoid valves from the look of it are pretty much just standard solenoids attached to a valve mechanism, so the relay board would provide control over those quite easily.

Looking forward to seeing more of this project, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Images

Okay, I talked to Clint from Coding4fun because he made a robo bartender for Makers Faire last year. He said he used Polycarbonate Solenoid Valves with Instant Tube Connections from http://www.mcmaster.com/

It looks like they are about $50 a piece. I don't think you are going to find them much cheaper than that I'm afraid. If you build this thing please post all about it in the projects forum!

I think the Phidgets 0/0/8 would be the best fit for controlling the solenoids.

Images

thread moved to the Actuators forum

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information