Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep It level

Keep It level

I am trying to help a friend with a UAV project. We have solved the majority of the issues with flying the vehicle. However getting an effective orientation of tilt in multiple directions has proven a challenge

Any suggestions on an inexpensive gyro or some sort of tilt sensor that would interface with a PC. It needs to be effective on a vehicle that has a 80+ inch wingspan and is 50 inches long.

I Was even debating hacking apart a digital carpenters level and trying to interpret thouse signals but... Dont think it would work
    Last edited by misiu; 02-28-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Re: Keep It level

http://www.smarttooltech.com/product.php?product=4

actually mabye something like this would work?

Or you could use this:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...er-3-Axis.aspx

It would help keep it stable too.

With that kind of wingspan it would take a brisk wind, Unless your UAV is really light but having the insurace is good. You have to account for differing currents and temperatures as the machine moves toward its target.
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

I looked at the trossen robotics 3 axis sensor. I just didnt know if it would be sensitive enough. Either way im going to be giviing it a shot.

Its actually going to be run off of a 1.5 megahertz via embeded motherboards 5.2 inches x 5.2 inches a gig of ram and a 8 gig solid state drive running windows XP

for direction a digital compas and a GPS receiver

So provided I can get a good pitch/roll reading I should be able to programaticly adjust for any deviation from set elevation, direction,

At this point though there is a problem of having enough electric power to run everything. To solve that were going to be running a modle alternator from www.sullivanproducts.com. Should provide enough juice (although this isnt tested yet)

Images

Whoa, you are making a UAV big enough to carry an ITX? Awesome. I'll be very curious about how real time your response is with your sensors and OS. Are you running a really light weight linux OS or something else?

As you probably noticed we carry a line of accelerometers & gyros:
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ters-Gyro.aspx

But I would also suggest checking out sparkfun since they have a larger selection:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/cat...hp?cPath=23_80
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/cat...hp?cPath=23_85

Sadly were going to be trying to run windows first. there is enough proccessr/memory to make it happen.

1.5 Gigahertz (i know i wrote Megahertz earlier but I was on a conference call with 30 people I had shut my brain off sorry)
    1 gig of ram
    8 gig solid state hard drive.

I cant think of any thing I would do program wise that would require a more powerful system then that. Supposedly it only draws 15-20 watts

At the moment the plan is actually to setup a wireless network at the field and jus have the wireless card in the UAV join the network and fly it from a laptop initialy to gather data from all the sensors.

The goal is to have it be able to take off by its self, fly out about 50 miles hit some waypoints, take some pictures, and come back. Require the airfield signal and land it manually until we can figure out a way to teach it to do it itself.

a slightly ambitious project i know :-) Im not even going to mention the long range goal you all will think im crazy.

Adam

Images

If you're going to be running Windows, you may want to look into getting a slightly larger hard drive if the funds permit. An 8GB HD isn't that large for Windows. When Windows has less than like 5GB or so free HD space (depends on the size, number increases as total HD space increases), it starts to run like crap.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you're going to be running Windows, you may want to look into getting a slightly larger hard drive if the funds permit. An 8GB HD isn't that large for Windows. When Windows has less than like 5GB or so free HD space (depends on the size, number increases as total HD space increases), it starts to run like crap.
    8 gigs is plenty :P

Just strip out the unneeded crap (I've had a windows xp footprint under 700 megs) and turn off your page file, or limit it to 1 gb, and thats a good amount of free space for programs/code. The OS my J5 is running is only about a 900 meg footprint (I left a bunch of extra stuff in it) and uses about 65 megs of ram. I am the windows stripping ninja!

I would think that the fact that he's using a solid state drive would negate a lot of the performance problems that normally occur with windows as far as disk space is concerned.

Aren't those things uberpricey?
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MYKL View Post
    I would think that the fact that he's using a solid state drive would negate a lot of the performance problems that normally occur with windows as far as disk space is concerned.

Aren't those things uberpricey?
    They can be pricey. Most of them aren't too much faster then an IDE drive as far as data transfer rates go, it's just that they have essentially no seek time and aren't prone to vibration damage.

Thread Information