Thread: Voltage Sensor calculations

1. Voltage Sensor calculations

I'm using the P1117 voltage sensor to read an Analog input from an external temp sensor. From the docs for the voltage sensor Voltage (in volts) = (SensorValue - 500) x 0.06

The external temp sensor (not a Phidget device) gives me 0 to 10 volts and is a linear representation for -30F to 220F. Am I correct with 10 / 250 = 0.04 volts per step?

It must be this head cold because I can't get the calculations to come out right and I know I'm missing something simple.

Actual display on external sensor:67
    Phidget reading from voltage sensor=562 (Ratiometric = True) should mean 3.72 volts in
    Actual voltage reading 4.11v (my uncalibrated meter)

I would think 3.72 / 0.04 should produce my results but I come up with 93. What am I doing wrong. It has to be something simple.. I hope.

Thanks
    David

Images

Re: Voltage Sensor calculations

If you use any non-Phidget sensor with the 8/8/8, you need to make sure there is only 5V going to/from the board.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: Voltage Sensor calculations

Alex,

The P1117 is the Phidget -30 to +30 voltage sensor. Are you saying it's only good for measuring 5 volts on the input? The external temp sensor is rated at 0 to 10 volts but it's being fed into the voltage sensor.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you use any non-Phidget sensor with the 8/8/8, you need to make sure there is only 5V going to/from the board.

Images

Re: Voltage Sensor calculations

The sensor board itself cannot be over 5V. The Phidget Voltage Sensor is rated for -30 to +30 V, but the board itself is powered by 5VDC and returns a 0-5V analog signal. Sorry if my explanation isn't too clear. I'm not that well versed in EE stuff. I know concepts, but just not the "lingo"

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information