Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uber-cool walker

Uber-cool walker

Perhaps you've seen it, perhaps not. Very cool version of a quad-ped.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP3IAt_lJXI
    http://www.bostondynamics.com/

Images

Re: Uber-cool walker

What I find interesting is how we have a hard time seeing it as a machine when it starts looking so animal. When the guy kicks it I have slight an emotional response of anger as if I've just watched someone kick a dog for fun. I KNOW it's a machine, but my subconscious probably doesn't. I'm very impressed with their ability to build a self balancing walker. This is pretty advanced.

3. Re: Uber-cool walker

Cool! I'm always happy to see some new footage of BigDog. I'm impressed at how well it does in the snow. Also, watching it slip around on the ice is a freaking riot.
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

Images

That is very cool. I wonder how nervous they were watching it wobble a bit when doing the mud test.

I agree Matt. Strange how emotion is mostly subconsious. I wonder if we would have the same reaction if the legs weren't harry. lol

Images

I'm not sure where I read this, but I remember an article where people in the military were talking about how emotional guys got when their robots were destroyed disarming IEDs. People seam to form emotional bonds with and anthropomorphize things that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What I find interesting is how we have a hard time seeing it as a machine when it starts looking so animal. When the guy kicks it I have slight an emotional response of anger as if I've just watched someone kick a dog for fun. I KNOW it's a machine, but my subconscious probably doesn't. I'm very impressed with their ability to build a self balancing walker. This is pretty advanced.
    I am glad you mentioned that. I too found it very interesting the emotional reaction too. Which lead me to think... why? If I see someone knock over a kondo bot, no problem. The answer I found was quite interesting... (For me at least) For me, it's the gait. There is something hardwired in me (or us humans in general) that sees the gait as almost an injured animal. Which makes me think, if it is something hardwired in the brain that recognizes this as an animal (or partly), does this mean that this technique they using for locomotion is on the right path for a true walker based on biological examples? Gives me a whole host of ideas for new designs...
    Thanks Matt!

Wow, Dr Dolittles new version of Push Me, Pull you, however never kick your robot. What would happen if this one lefted it's leg on you?

Tymtravler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    For me, it's the gait. There is something hardwired in me (or us humans in general) that sees the gait as almost an injured animal.
    Yeah, totally. That's it. It does look like a wounded animal.

Images

Wounded as in missing a head and body skin/hair? hehe

Interesting perspective with the gait comment from Eric. Would be an interesting test when evaluating the value of these types of technology if we could capture the physical reaction to various options and compare the results to find the best option.

I would guess that to some extent such evaluations are normal, but maybe not recognized at that level. Perhaps a person who is highly sensitive to such things makes a good judge of what should, could, or does work on not only robotics such as this, but many physical technologies that are relative to human interaction.

Jim touched on one of the reasons why I find robotics great. There is no one specialty that defines robotics. It's the variety of disciplines that go into innovative designs that make it so challenging but so cool. Being awesome at software is but only one piece of the puzzle. Thinking beyond just tech seems to be a must in this industry (not to mention the absolute need for collaboration) (but I am afraid I am getting WAY too philosophical!)

Thread Information