Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner build

Re: Beginner build

Quote Originally Posted by giantflaw View Post
    T
    A finished inferior mech is better than a half built great mech.
    OK, probably too strong a statement. How about "A working mediocre mech is better than a non-working great mech". Several times at Robogames machines have placed in the top three places by just working the whole time and not breaking. Many know this too well by first hand experience. Our first time out years ago our club Mech RA was an inferior machine. It walked slow, shot slow (once/1.5 seconds). We did break our first fight but it was a draw. Our second fight we never fired our gun because we forgot to arm it. The other machine was self-scoring when it fired. Because we did not break the rest of the weekend we took 4th place against greater machines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RA.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	7116
    The second machine we built, RA 2.0, was much better and on Saturday we beat Immortal for the first time. That night we made S/W changes to improve things. We introduced a bug that knocked us out of the running on Sunday. Did not even do as well as the first time we fought with RA.

What are s/w changes? Size and weight? And I would like to have a complete set of backup parts for breakages giantflaw. Yeah it's definitely going to take alot of work and luck, I don't expect it to be easy, but I would like to get the basics down and make them seem simple to me atleast. I'm super impressed by all the mechs and the arenas by the way, way better than I can do, but I'm guna try to do better and win.
    This should take me along time if I have to figure everything out from trial and error and posts and videos. I'm going to want to learn 3d modelling so I can make custom parts, more xbee stuff, ik, pan and tilt for fpv cameras that corresponds to head movment, more scale modeling, and the hardest part I bet will be getting everything setup for the ide, I hate trying to get libraries to work, getting the programming cables to work, and finding the right com port and things like that.

s/w = software

Thread Information